Third Party Press

Looking at buying my first mauser.

stewey88

I thought this looked pretty nice. What do you all think for $1200?

Attachments

• k981.jpg
    k981.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 89
  • k982.jpg
    k982.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 85
  • k984.jpg
    k984.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 93
more photos. thanks

Attachments

• k985 (2).jpg
    k985 (2).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 86
  • k986 (2).jpg
    k986 (2).jpg
    227 KB · Views: 74
  • k987 (2).jpg
    k987 (2).jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 66
  • k988 (2).jpg
    k988 (2).jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 90
  • k989 (2).jpg
    k989 (2).jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 72
more photos. thanks

Hi stewey88,
It looks like a Russian Capture, the eagles of the waffenamt stamps on the receiver and the barrel seem to have been welded and the bolt has mismatched parts with different serial numbers.
I can't tell about the price. If you're a shooter, have fun with it ! Don't worry if you have a bruised shoulder after 40 shots: that's part of the experience :laugh:

Not a Russian capture. I think it has a good chance of being a bolt only
Mismatch, but in 1940 most parts were numbered, so you are going to need a lot of photos to verify that the bolt is the only mismatch. I’d start by looking at the bottom of the buttstock for an external/matching serial number. Also, I think this rifle eagle/M marked (Kriegsmarine) to the German Navy. If it is, and all parts except bolt match, I say it’s a fair price. Get a photo of the right side and bottom of the butt stock.

Stewey,

It doesn't look like a russian capture to me. Stamps look okay and it's got wore blue, not black paint. Also the bolt takedown isn't black painted as indicative of russian captures. Cannot say whether or not the stock is correct since I don't see any markings but I'd bet it's a matching stock to the barreled reciever.

So you've got a matching barreled reciever and possibly stock but that's unknown. It's a bolt mismatch.

Honestly $1200 is creeping up into matching territory, but if you could get it under or around $1000 it wouldn't be a terrible buy imo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mismatch, but in 1940 most parts were numbered, so you are going to need a lot of photos to verify that the bolt is the only mismatch. I’d start by looking at the bottom of the buttstock for an external/matching serial number. Also, I think this rifle eagle/M marked (Kriegsmarine) to the German Navy. If it is, and all parts except bolt match, I say it’s a fair price. Get a photo of the right side and bottom of the butt stock.
Good catch, didn't notice the M on the stock on my phone. Our statements align, and I agree the asking price is okay if the stock is matched to the barreled action. Kriegsmarine rifles are much rarer than a Heer army issued counterpart.

Thanks for all the info. You all are great! I will ask for those photos and post when I receive them.

Good catch, didn't notice the M on the stock on my phone. Our statements align, and I agree the asking price is okay if the stock is matched to the barreled action. Kriegsmarine rifles are much rarer than a Heer army issued counterpart.

I paid the equivilant of $1050 for my Norwegian capture, bolt mm Kriegsmarine issue, 1940 42 Oberndorf last summer here in the UK, and its a post war Norwegian Navy K98 as well, so still in 7.92x57 calibre rather than a 30-06 conversion like all the other Norwegian K98's. Its in much better condition than this one, and came with an original WW2 German sling as well, so I think I got a good deal considering decent K98's are very hard to find in the UK :happy0180:

Would the serial number for the stock be external? I only ask cause they say that they would have to have a gunsmith take it apart to check internally?

The stock number would be external. The handguard is internal and it would have to be removed to check. Not a big deal, the stock number is more important IMO to value.

The stock number would be external. The handguard is internal and it would have to be removed to check. Not a big deal, the stock number is more important IMO to value.

He told me that he could not make it to the gunsmith to have it checked, but if I purchased it and it happened to be matching then that's good karma? I decided I was ok and gonna look elsewhere.

After all

He sent me the stock picture today. It is not matching but lowered the price. So I think I am going to go with that.

Attachments

• E967AC0B-C285-4024-A902-61E1D82FFF78.jpeg
    E967AC0B-C285-4024-A902-61E1D82FFF78.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 24

Military Rifle Journal
Back