Third Party Press

1944 ddL bayonet Matching

SVW1945

Here is my ddl 44 matching bayonet. In excellent condition. These are pretty rare to fine matching. estimate production in 44 about 40,000. One of the rarer ones to fine made in 1944. This one has never been sharped. No dents. Frog is unmarked brown frog.

SVW1945

Attachments

• 1944ddL.jpg
    1944ddL.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1944ddL1.jpg
    1944ddL1.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1944ddL2.jpg
    1944ddL2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1944ddL3.jpg
    1944ddL3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1944ddL4.jpg
    1944ddL4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 1944ddL5.jpg
    1944ddL5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 32
  • 1944ddL6.jpg
    1944ddL6.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 32
Very nice example by Josua Corts Sohn. And yes, one of the scarcer codes in 1944. The frog is for a Ks98 (Extra-Seitengewehr) not for this S84/98.

Very nice example. But now you have to find a "4 ddl". Not sure just where in the serial number range Corts put the the new, 2-digit year die stamp in service...might have been in the b-bloc. Andy B. probably has the recorded high for "4 ddl" & low for "44 ddl"...

Very nice example. But now you have to find a "4 ddl". Not sure just where in the serial number range Corts put the the new, 2-digit year die stamp in service...might have been in the b-bloc. Andy B. probably has the recorded high for "4 ddl" & low for "44 ddl"...

Thanks for the comments. It was hard enough to fine the ddl 44 matching in very nice condition, I'm sure the 4 will be much tougher in nice matching condition. I love the late bayonets. Still need to fine a few . Sold some rare ones over the years. Wish I had kept them.

SVW1945

Very nice example by Josua Corts Sohn. And yes, one of the scarcer codes in 1944. The frog is for a Ks98 (Extra-Seitengewehr) not for this S84/98.

Thanks for the nice comments . SLASH Love the late bayonets. This was the first ddl44 I ever found in very nice condition. I figured the frog was wrong. But that is how I received it. I have seen this before with these frogs more than once. Maybe the Germans did do this ? Still looking for a few other late codes.

SVW1945

Not sure just where in the serial number range Corts put the the new, 2-digit year die stamp in service...might have been in the b-bloc. Andy B. probably has the recorded high for "4 ddl" & low for "44 ddl"...

The 4 ddl are recorded from the beginning of the no letter block into only the very early a block. Somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000 pieces perhaps. On some examples you can still see remnants of the 3 from the modified original 43ddl stamping dies that were used.

Thanks for the nice comments . SLASH Love the late bayonets. This was the first ddl44 I ever found in very nice condition. I figured the frog was wrong. But that is how I received it. I have seen this before with these frogs more than once. Maybe the Germans did do this ? Still looking for a few other late codes.

I also have a passion for researching and collecting late war bayonets. Keep looking and you will find all the codes. Production remained high in 1944 and many were captured and ended up in the US. They're out there, it can just take time. I think I remember when you were selling some pieces on ebay a few years ago.

Regarding the frog. You do see the Ks98 frogs on these bayonets occasionally and anything is possible. For the most part however I suspect the Germans used the correct frog, especially for the S84/98 as they saw heavy use. More inclined to believe that the incorrect frogs were added by veterans or postwar owners, dealers, etc. My thoughts only ....

I also have a passion for researching and collecting late war bayonets. Keep looking and you will find all the codes. Production remained high in 1944 and many were captured and ended up in the US. They're out there, it can just take time. I think I remember when you were selling some pieces on ebay a few years ago.

Regarding the frog. You do see the Ks98 frogs on these bayonets occasionally and anything is possible. For the most part however I suspect the Germans used the correct frog, especially for the S84/98 as they saw heavy use. More inclined to believe that the incorrect frogs were added by veterans or postwar owners, dealers, etc. My thoughts only ....

So you remember me when I was selling some nice bayonets back than. I had some nice ones I sold back than.I even sold my matching 1939 OCM in excellent condition. Which I think is one of the rarest bayonets to fine. I use to buy bayonets back in the late 70's and 80's for about $ 25.00 for a nice matching one.Hardly anyone collected them back than,they where easy to fine cheap. When I could not fine a K98. So I had a lot of k98 bayonets. I still have about 50 or so.

SVW1945

So you remember me when I was selling some nice bayonets back than. I had some nice ones I sold back than.I even sold my matching 1939 OCM in excellent condition. Which I think is one of the rarest bayonets to fine. I use to buy bayonets back in the late 70's and 80's for about $ 25.00 for a nice matching one.Hardly anyone collected them back than,they where easy to fine cheap. When I could not fine a K98. So I had a lot of k98 bayonets. I still have about 50 or so. SVW1945

Yes, I do remember. I bought two or three nice pieces from you and we also had some conversation off-line about collecting your serial numbers for my research and the book project.

Thanks for the comments. It was hard enough to fine the ddl 44 matching in very nice condition, I'm sure the 4 will be much tougher in nice matching condition. I love the late bayonets. Still need to fine a few . Sold some rare ones over the years. Wish I had kept them.

SVW1945

4ddl.jpg

Very nice bayonet! I have a 4 ddl but it is non-matching.

Military Rifle Journal
Back