Third Party Press

Common Breakages?

Hey all,

I've seen few people in other threads talk about different parts on their G41(M)s breaking due to different issues. As I work on getting new parts for my G41(M) manufactured I was wondering if anyone knows of what parts seem to experience the most failure. While I do not plan on regularly shooting my G41(M) I thought it best to possibly have additional spare parts made of the ones that fail the most. My gut tells me that different parts of the Bolt Group probably experience the most failures as well as the Unlocking Bars, and Piston Bar. Thanks for any help or info!

sadly the most common a parts broken are from rifles folks insist on firing, these are not target rifles. do not shoot it and then you dont have to worry about breakages,

but hey its your rifle

The entire rifle is vulnerable. You have to take into account what these rifles really were/are, a late German war effort. That means they used metals that were not up to specs in a hurried atmosphere with forced laborers involved in the manufacturing process (sabotage, don’t care...etc.). It’s the rifle “that could have been”, if you will.

In more detail to answer your question: The back of the receiver area is the worst. Anywhere parts start to develop a crack; just know it’s going to get worse. You have to keep vigilant on checking any of the moving parts.

If you want to shoot an all matching example, you take a huge risk in something breaking. If you want a plinker (an expensive one) realize that some parts are not made in reproduction. The bolt, bolt carrier, action cover are not reproduced. These items are also very expensive to replace. The number one thing you need to do is to reduce the over powered gas system. The shooter kit gas piston should be installed if you plan on shooting this. These can be made into occasional plinkers if you reduce the violent gas system and make sure all parts are in good condition. Even then you may have breakage. In my shooters I used the best repro parts that I can get my hands on to avoid war time part breakage and again, not everything is made in reproduction. Are these guns that I take to the range all of the time? absolutely not. Are these guys that you can take to the range every one in awhile? yes if you go through it and always monitor the condition of your parts and realize that you take a chance on breaking something eventually. Even the newest K43 is 75 years old now. Yeah they can stretch their legs once in a while but even a 75 year old man is not going to run a marathon.

g41m ....

in my collecting career;.. i have had seven g41m's. and the two that i have right now, never see a shooting range. your asking for trouble if you shoot one. ............ t

A pal brought his G41 to my range. The extractor went flying somewhere, never to be seen again.

YMMV.

Military Rifle Journal
Back