Third Party Press

Thread: Scope k98 slipping in rings

Default Scope k98 slipping in rings

Hello from California, hope everyone is doing well this evening. I recently completed my long-standing project (turret Mount scope k98) for shooting purposes, made from parts I collected over 30 years . No complete k98 was harmed for this project. The project started in 1986 as a bare sandblasted k98 receiver from a supplier in shotgun news. Fast forward to 2015 I had a gunsmith put it together. I picked up reproduction high turret mounts and a prewar scope and while is was a fairly decent shooter the scope started to slipped backwards from the closed loop rings. Now in 2020 the low heat silver solder used is starting to give away. I am in correspondence with a member here and they needed pictures of the issue. I am hoping this post will also help others who may be experiencing the same problem.

It doesn't look like the solder adhered to the metal.

Low heat solder was used so it didnt require the removal of the internal optics hence your problem.

Resoldering is your only option I would think. Might want to consider having the optics removed and done with a higher temp but that would require having someone involved that can competently remove and reinstall the internals.

You could try jury rigging it by using a thin super glue and allowing it to seep around the rings but that would be a Hail Mary of the last resort...dont reccommend it..better to spend the money and find someone you can send the scope to that can perform the task required .

Vaughn99 on the forum could do it but he is way busy right now...if you have the patience that would be your best bet.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by agalland View Post
    Low heat solder was used so it didnt require the removal of the internal optics hence your problem.

Resoldering is your only option I would think. Might want to consider having the optics removed and done with a higher temp but that would require having someone involved that can competently remove and reinstall the internals.

You could try jury rigging it by using a thin super glue and allowing it to seep around the rings but that would be a Hail Mary of the last resort...dont reccommend it..better to spend the money and find someone you can send the scope to that can perform the task required .

Vaughn99 on the forum could do it but he is way busy right now...if you have the patience that would be your best bet.
    Thank you for the recommendation and Iíll wait for Vaughn as suggested and send to him for the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-250c View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation and Iíll wait for Vaughn as suggested and send to him for the repair.
    Look up Don Miller out of Victorville kalifornica. He repaired german WW1 scopes for me over the years. I would guess he's still around.
    D卐M☭CRATz can bite my Azz

Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    Look up Don Miller out of Victorville kalifornica. He repaired german WW1 scopes for me over the years. I would guess he's still around.
    Yah....forgot about him.

Quote Originally Posted by agalland View Post
    Yah....forgot about him.
    Will check the lead thank you for the tip.

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

It appears from the pics that whoever did the soldering may have not removed the bluing on inside of Rings and outer area of Scope Tube .
    Soldier does not adhere/bond to bluing