Third Party Press

Lost auction, but odd turn of events

Did the auction end low? I’ve seen this before and often wondered if the seller didn’t like the way it was going and scurry to make a new auction account from his wife’s email.

Maybe he finally got his stimulus check? Unless it's some rework that I overlooked, it's a complete mismatch. I wouldn't consider it over priced or an item worthy of a humper investing time to get a new smurf account.

You’re better off not getting it.... people keep throwing the word MATCHING around all over the place on that site. There’s not a damn thing matching on that rifle lol. What, the barrel and receiver match? Ok, so do most other rifles...

Rifle is a nearly complete mismatch ("matching barrel and receiver"). I don't see anything unusual in the bidding or way the auction ended. The auction seems to have ended 15 minutes after the final bid was placed. That is the norm. I would feel pretty good about not winning this. Something better will come along.

Rifle is a nearly complete mismatch ("matching barrel and receiver"). I don't see anything unusual in the bidding or way the auction ended. The auction seems to have ended 15 minutes after the final bid was placed. That is the norm. I would feel pretty good about not winning this. Something better will come along.

I had intended to part it out, take the barreled receiver and put it back to 1936 Obi form. Even with m/m numbers, it would have been a niche piece. Meh...something's not right here, but no loss for me.

Last bid went in at 7:47 PM. The auction ended at 8:02 PM. GunBroker ends their auctions exactly 15 minutes after the last bid is placed. What do you think was wrong?

Maybe I’m overlooking something, but I just see it as the guy was actively watching the auction. You bid first on it, and he quickly saw that, so then he kept bidding until he went over your amount and was the highest bidder. He kept refreshing the page as the timer was doing down and then when he saw that you bid again, he threw another bid in. Time ran out and he won.

It all came down to the guy was sitting at his computer/on his phone as the auction was ending.

Last bid went in at 7:47 PM. The auction ended at 8:02 PM. GunBroker ends their auctions exactly 15 minutes after the last bid is placed. What do you think was wrong?

The auction had no bids until mine, which was entered 15 before the end. Then a guy who joined 3 days ago and NR decided to bid? Did you look at the 10 bids and the timing in relation to the original auction end? Highly irregular.

A red glue laminate stock on a 1936 Obie, pretty damn rare one. Might have been a prototype given to Albert Speer.

I'd be more pissed off at the seller for the title of his auction.

No conspiracy theories here. It does not matter when someone signs up with an account on GB. Auctions have a set ending time, but the end time is reset to end 15 minutes after the final bid is placed. The NR bidder kept bidding until he was the high bidder and 15 minutes later the auction ended. That is exactly how it works at GunBroker and has been that way as long as I can remember.

OP.....you are referring to the practice of sniping. You watch an auction and bid in the last few seconds so others dont have a chance to outbid you. I do it ALL THE TIME on ebay.

Unfortunately, its impossible on GB. GB auctions keep going until theres been no activity for 15 minutes. Hypothetically, a GB auction could go on for eternity.

I do agree with you that its fishy that a bidder with no ratings won this. Ive been seeing this very frequently on GB lately. A auction starts to end and the bids are nowhere near the 'buy it now' price. Then, magically, 14 minutes after the last bid, some guy with NR wins the auction. I suspect the owner of the gun creates a fake account and 'wins' the auction. He pays the fees to GB (or disputes the fact that some new guy never paid him) and relists it.

Just my .02

I do agree with you that its fishy that a bidder with no ratings won this. Ive been seeing this very frequently on GB lately. A auction starts to end and the bids are nowhere near the 'buy it now' price. Then, magically, 14 minutes after the last bid, some guy with NR wins the auction. I suspect the owner of the gun creates a fake account and 'wins' the auction. He pays the fees to GB (or disputes the fact that some new guy never paid him) and relists it.

Just my .02

That's pretty much my feeling. I've been buying/selling on GB almost 20 years and I know this isn't exactly a new practice, I just thought that they had managed to more or less get control of it. I was on the fence right up to the end, so it worked out in any case.

As an occasional seller, I can tell you that there has been a HUGE increase in new bidders. I had a very embarrassing sale recently where a guy was winning an item at 15 minutes left, for $20. A NR bidder bid them up to over $200. He was not happy about it and accused me of shill bidding.

If I remember right I had 4 NR purchasers in April.

A lot more bid on items. . .

I'll be honest when I started reading I thought the exact same thing HOWEVER, this guy started bidding 24 seconds after you opened the bidding. Just too quick. He must have been sitting there watching it actively. Seems highly suspicious when someone just pops in out of nowhere at the last minute but the timing just doesn't support that here. I don't believe anyway.

it was not meant to happen, count your blessings and use the time to research K-98k's for the next real matching rifle comes along. the info is here and free

you will get burned impulse buying

It is exactly the kind of rifle I would expect a new collector to want to purchase. I am surprised when an NR bidder buys a $3,500 98k. He was likely sitting at his computer getting ready to bid in the next several minutes when Nulle put in his bid. If I am serious about winning an item I watch the last 15 minutes of the auction to make sure that I am not outbid. If I don't care beyond X dollars then I put in that bid and check on it a few hours after the auction ends. I doubt if there are any shenanigans on this one. The seller got a decent amount for it considering what it is.

That's pretty much my feeling. I've been buying/selling on GB almost 20 years and I know this isn't exactly a new practice, I just thought that they had managed to more or less get control of it. I was on the fence right up to the end, so it worked out in any case.

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back, on a K98 as well. I got into a bidding war with a guy (which I **NEVER DO**) but we both started playing the 15 minute game. (I guess I was hoping he would fall asleep, it was a late ending bid) We were still a few hundred under the 'buy it now' price. After an hour and a half of last minute bids, some guy with NR comes in and bids about 300 bucks over us. Why I though it was fixed was because the auction was in 'overtime', this guy waited until AFTER the official end time (over an hour actually) to bid WAY above us. It was almost like he could see the real time bid history......ya know, like the guy who was selling the gun perhaps?

After an hour and a half of last minute bids, some guy with NR comes in and bids about 300 bucks over us. Why I though it was fixed was because the auction was in 'overtime', this guy waited until AFTER the official end time (over an hour actually) to bid WAY above us.
This has happened to me several times before, and it's not always a NR. A third party enters the bidding dual AFTER the auction was already scheduled to close, but extended due to the continued bidding. I have also missed bidding on something within the 15 minute ending window because the kids are doing something or I got side tracked with the lawn, then I view the auction and realize it was extended after the original end date/time. Life is not simple and easy and since the phone apps were garbage and are now banned, it's hit or miss. Also, note, any member can see bids are occurring in the history in real time. You just cannot see who the bidder is (unless you reached a specific number of feedback) and you cannot see what the amounts are until the auction is over. It doesn't take a rocket scientist when you see the Dates and hashed usernames to know what is going on though.

IMHO, there will be a shill here or there, but I think you're being too paranoid in assuming every time something happens that is not cookie cutter is a shill.

Military Rifle Journal
Back