Third Party Press

Lost auction, but odd turn of events

IMHO, there will be a shill here or there, but I think you're being too paranoid in assuming every time something happens that is not cookie cutter is a shill.

Ive been a registered user on GB for just shy of 20 years. In all that time,

1) Ive never seen such a feeding frenzy on C&R guns. (K98's in the last 18 months)

2) Ive never seen so many auctions end 'oddly'. (K98's in the last 18 months)

3) Never seen so many 'NR' guys win when the current contenders were not up to the 'buy it now' price. (various C&R in the last 3 months)

4) Guns with bids (and NR winners) getting miraculously relisted a few days later. (Ive seen several MM guns with 1 or 2 bids, then I see the EXACT gun a week later)

Either there's a bunch of new to mid level sellers with outrageous expectations (and they resort to different techniques when they dont get the prices they want), or......... there's a bumper crop of brand new bidders who know exactly how GB works *AND* are willing to pay outrageous prices for guns.

My money is on option #1.

That Rand2323 guy lists terrible rifles all the time. Not just K98’s, but Garands, 1903’s, etc. Somehow every one of them is always “matching” and in “original condition”.

Ive been a registered user on GB for just shy of 20 years. In all that time,

1) Ive never seen such a feeding frenzy on C&R guns. (K98's in the last 18 months)

2) Ive never seen so many auctions end 'oddly'. (K98's in the last 18 months)

3) Never seen so many 'NR' guys win when the current contenders were not up to the 'buy it now' price. (various C&R in the last 3 months)

4) Guns with bids (and NR winners) getting miraculously relisted a few days later. (Ive seen several MM guns with 1 or 2 bids, then I see the EXACT gun a week later)

Either there's a bunch of new to mid level sellers with outrageous expectations (and they resort to different techniques when they dont get the prices they want), or......... there's a bumper crop of brand new bidders who know exactly how GB works *AND* are willing to pay outrageous prices for guns.

My money is on option #1.
.....or

5) There is a large amount of shill bidding, auction fraud, and chicanery taking place.

My money is on option 5).

Not only “NR” bidders are suspects as shills. There are longtime multiple “sleeper” accounts accounts and new accounts with single digit feedback. When a guy is bidding on and winning a $15 AR mag, then a few boxes of .223, then he is suddenly swinging for the fence in a bidding war on a $4000 K98k with humped parts that even if it was original and nicer shape would be worth half that, well, that’s a bit suspicious to me. Also, if a bidder appears over the years to be more of a “collector” of bids and “wins” for a certain seller than a certain thing, then what does that tell you?

.....or

5) There is a large amount of shill bidding, auction fraud, and chicanery taking place.

Not only “NR” bidders are suspects as shills. There are longtime multiple “sleeper” accounts accounts and new accounts with single digit feedback. When a guy is bidding on and winning a $15 AR mag, then a few boxes of .223, then he is suddenly swinging for the fence in a bidding war on a $4000 K98k with humped parts that even if it was original and nicer shape would be worth half that, well, that’s a bit suspicious to me. Also, if a bidder appears over the years to be more of a “collector” of bids and “wins” for a certain seller than a certain thing, then what does that tell you?

We are saying the same thing Mein Bruder. The market is ripe for dishonest sellers.

I had a case a while back where I put in a max bid with 15 min left--let's say $1000 for round #s and the current bid was $500. Some guy jumped in and bid up minimum bid and reset the clock, waited 12 min, bid minimum bid, waited 12 min, minimum bid. This went on for 30 min (the price went up maybe $20 and I was still high bidder), then some guy jumps in and bid up over my max bid. Both had feedback.

My theory, someone asked their buddy to delay things for them so they could get in an bid.

I don't think a bid that isn't a winning bid should reset the clock, but I'm sure GB has it that was to help their top 25 shillbidders.

My best luck on GB has been "buy it now" listings where the price was not researched beforehand. Very rarely do I win auctions any more.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Epay and Gunbonker love shill bidding. It’s great for business. How is it not? While at the same time investigating, exposing, and stopping shill bidding costs time and money and is bad for business. Epay has even changed their policies so its customers can’t even investigate and discover shill bidding in their own.

Hambone Wrote

Agree # 5 completely, Been on GB 20yrs had some doubts on several auctions I was in on on the past but now this seems to be increasing.

You think shill bidding goes on here...you should see what happens at Barrett Jackson!

My father sells a lot on Gunbroker. He was just telling me he’s had a ton of new bidders win guns and not pay, or take a long time to pay. People sitting home with nothing to do surfing and buying/bidding on shite they can’t afford. It’s some of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back