Third Party Press

ac43 opinion

Missourigunguy

Just wanted to get an opinion. I know posselt grips were only on spreewerk p38's only but have the chance to purchase an all matching ac43. Supposedly a vet bring back that was purchased years ago at a vet auction. Only thing is that it has the posselt grips. Would a GI put these on or would someone be under the opinion it was most likely done years down the road. I'm going to look at this pistol in the morning and just wanted a better understanding.

Anything could have happened in Europe or here in US, no way to tell. The vet could have did some work for a guy down the street who paid him with a P.38 in the 50s. Buy the gun not the story. Wouldn't be hard to find someone to trade grips if they're in good condition. Grips in 1943 were not serial numbered. Make sure the locking block matches and is in the white. If it's a good gun I wouldn't let the Posselt grips hold you back. Take some pictures in indirect sunlight.

On a side note, it could be a late war Spreewerk pistol with a FN slide that is stamped ac43.

Last edited:
Anything could have happened in Europe or here in US, no way to tell. The vet could have did some work for a guy down the street who paid him with a P.38 in the 50s. Buy the gun not the story. Wouldn't be hard to find someone to trade grips if they're in good condition. Grips in 1943 were not serial numbered. Make sure the locking block matches and is in the white. If it's a good gun I wouldn't let the Posselt grips hold you back. Take some pictures in indirect sunlight.

On a side note, it could be a late war Spreewerk pistol with a FN slide that is stamped ac43.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check the locking block when i look at it. Frame is also matching from the pictures.

post the pic's when asking for advice it is easier to assist, instead of guessing

on a AC 43 I would be more concerned if the mags matched, I can always replace the grips, is the locking block black or silver ( white)

I understand on the pictures. Seller was an older gentleman and didnt have the best. Was just going for a general idea. Here are some pictures. Seller is local.

Attachments

• 1ac43.jpg
    1ac43.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ac43 2.jpg
    ac43 2.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 29
  • ac43 3.jpg
    ac43 3.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 33
  • ac43 4.jpg
    ac43 4.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ac43 5.jpg
    ac43 5.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 26
  • ac43 6.jpg
    ac43 6.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ac43 7.jpg
    ac43 7.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 17
  • ac43 8.jpg
    ac43 8.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 18
  • ac43 9.jpg
    ac43 9.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ac43 10.jpg
    ac43 10.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 17
I got this one from the son of a Wehrmachtsoffizier.
CIMG5204.jpg
A ac 43.
It was the service gun of his father.
The gun is untouched since 1945.
May be this picture helps you.
Or maybe I can take som pics, from things you want to see.
By the way:
There is a great book about this gun:

The pistol is pretty nice. Those are good looking possrlt grips. Sell the grips (I’ll buy them) and put the money toward a proper pair. They aren’t hard to find.

The pistol is pretty nice. Those are good looking possrlt grips. Sell the grips (I’ll buy them) and put the money toward a proper pair. They aren’t hard to find.

I really do like the grips. Could move them over to my 43 cyq. If i do decide to sell Nathan, I'll pm you.

Travis

I'm really confused as to why there is so much wear on the frame but not the slide or barrel. Looks abnormal to me, could explain why the grips are replaced. It's almost as if someone took it apart and threw the frame (with the grips still on) into some sort of chemical that destroyed the finish / grips.

I think there were quite a few frames that turned plum over the years, wonder if an owner decided plum was bad and tried to fix it?

Last edited:
I'm really confused as to why there is so much wear on the frame but not the slide or barrel. Looks abnormal to me, could explain why the grips are replaced. It's almost as if someone took it apart and threw the frame (with the grips still on) into some sort of chemical that destroyed the finish / grips.

I think there were quite a few frames that turned plum over the years, wonder if an owner decided plum was bad and tried to fix it?

This picture outside may help. All the others were taken in my light box.

Attachments

• ac43 12.jpg
    ac43 12.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 22
Forgotten weapons - come on you can do better than that, you really watch that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
if you want to learn about P-38's follow the P-38 forum, or Jan still's luger forum or the walther forum and read and re-read the old forums they are free.

the pistol appears correct except for the grips, also the photos do make it appear the lower was scrubbed the last picture in the light box helped, the barrel has a * usually this means it was rejected in the past, late war grips? could indicate a late war Assembly maybe

mag is terrible? is it serial numbered to the pistol??

condition still does not appear to be be 90% or better, if the lower frame has a original finish, I would smell the frame if you smell cold blue walk away , the slide finish is scratched ( range table staples) , if you brought this to my table I would probably pass, probably because I could tell better in hand. not sure what the price is, anything over a grand maybe too much depends. its still collectible, definitely not a shooter , but not 90% or better

depends on how much you want it and how much the seller is asking

mag is terrible? is it serial numbered to the pistol??
The mag is a replacement mag, which never had serial numbers, and are harder to find. Condition is poor though. If there's a serial number on it, someone swapped floor plates. Walther stopped serial numbering mags in 1942, c block. Mauser and Spreewerk never numbering mags.

Asterisk show up on p.38s from 1940 all the way through 1945, it's not late war assembly.

It has not been cold blued. Magazine floor plate does not have any numbering. Seller was originally asking 975 but would take 800. Almost impossible to find that in my area. I check local sites daily..

Military Rifle Journal
Back