Third Party Press

1913 Danzig Gew98

Warrior1354

ax - hole
We have data and reports that Mauser, Amberg, and Spandau made rifles in 1913. There has been reports that Danzig was a producer but I don't think an example has been found. Today I did find pictures on a European gun auction site that someone is selling a 1913 Danzig Gew98 looks like it was updated in the 1930s to the Gew98m. The pictures are not the best so I'll try to send a link later.

Even though this rifle is not in its Imperial trim anymore. We at least know they are out there.

Attachments

• 8718080.1572882590.jpg
    8718080.1572882590.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 8718080.1568035847.jpg
    8718080.1568035847.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for sharing this Jordan. I've not seen a 1913 Danzig in the wild before.

Cool to see one emerge.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

eGun auctions/sellers rarely do good pictures, the Germans might be good at many things, taking good pictures is not one of them... I suppose this is because the environment for guns are so hostile, or the surveillance nanny state is a worry (understandable), or maybe they are just obstinate and think good pictures do not equate to higher results (as in any other venue that sells firearms - or anything of value)?

Either way, I assume the title and text give the date on the receiver? It certainly isn't clear in the pictures, but it is pretty doubtful this will turn out to be a Danzig/13 made in 1913. They were still making good numbers of 98a in 1913, though had tapered off from 1912 which is the biggest pre-1914 year for them and the 98a. Still 1913 98a production was still strong (unlike 1914). well into the c-block which is normal for prewar Danzig 98a production. If it turns out 1913 dated (G98), it will probably be the same story as the 1912's, which would still be a big revelation, but probably not as big of one if they actually turn out to be "made in 1913".

Anyway, glad you posted on the possibility, but I wouldn't bet on the seller doing anything to confirm the case or even responding to a query. Really you have to be a brave soul or wildly reckless to buy anything on eGun, the sellers are almost universally incapable or at least unwilling (would say lazy if they were American, but I can't imagine there are that many lazy Germans in the world...) to illustrate what they imply they want to sell.

eGun auctions/sellers rarely do good pictures, the Germans might be good at many things, taking good pictures is not one of them... I suppose this is because the environment for guns are so hostile, or the surveillance nanny state is a worry (understandable), or maybe they are just obstinate and think good pictures do not equate to higher results (as in any other venue that sells firearms - or anything of value)?

eGun limits the picture size, plus they limit the number of pictures per gun you can upload, and they charge for every additional picture. Hence most auctions only use such a limited number of pictures, unless you are very good at taking pictures plus have the knowledge of how to add pictures that are not hosted on their site (also allowed). These sellers by the way achieve much higher results.
Funny detail: I know of at least one seller that posts the description as a picture hosted on his own website. This way he can change the description at any time of the auction, or post the auction. eGun doesn't bother on that..

The problem goes well beyond eGun limitations, it is more in the nature of the sellers I think, - as it is clearly possible to take good pictures with what is given and several sellers upload their own and do an good job. (Some do a credible job within the limitations offered, often using some critical thinking in selection and quality of the rather small pictures)

Anyway, the few German forums I have seen also have this problem, as do some French, and obviously American and European collectors are equally versed in the technology and have similar cultures (at least for the immediate future, - this cult of heterogeneity and diversity will cause what has befallen every society that has experimented with it long enough...) , so I think it is more fear of their governments or laziness, or both (which in the latter case is also a common problem on Gun Broker and the dullards that often sell there... stupid people abound in the Occidental world, more than ever these days it seems)

It could also be related to the suspicion that "poachers" are pilfering data from their pictures, which seems to rankle many. Could also be related to the possibility that others may see a problem and generally a large percentage will let a problem, or two, or three, slide rather than go through the trouble of a return, which in Europe is probably a much larger problem/hassle than here.

Thanks for sharing this Jordan. I've not seen a 1913 Danzig in the wild before.

Cool to see one emerge.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but I think my friend owns a Danzig 13 k98k. Is it possible? Should I make get back with pictures?

Military Rifle Journal
Back