Third Party Press

Rarity?

john book

I am just starting on my journey of collecting Mauser K98's. I have a S237 1937 with all matching serial #'s except the butt plate. If they produced 40,000 of these what is the rarity?

I'd say pretty rare. Post some pictures if you can. Earlier the gun was made, the longer potential it had to go through war. Also, the war was fought mostly on the Eastern front earlier in the war, so the majority of the items went east and were lost.

Buttplate mismatch? Odd, but there was another buttplate mismatch a few months ago.
Looking forward to pics.

Photos of S 237 1937

I will try to post some photos of the rifle. My phone takes some poor photos so I'll have to try harder to get more detail. Thanks for all of the replies.

I will try to post some photos of the rifle. My phone takes some poor photos so I'll have to try harder to get more detail. Thanks for all of the replies.
Cell phone cameras claim large Mega Pixels but in the end, they are awful if lighting isn't perfect. The best lighting is indirect sunlight with a white background. I use a few sheets of copy paper (usually 3 deep since they're thin) for the background. Open up the blinds, let light into your house but not onto the table you're using and don't use the zoom feature. I usually have my cell phone focus on the darkest spot on the area, usually the black grips for a handgun. They won't be professional grade, but you'll get the best output for minimal investment.

Use a digital camera then load the SD card unto a card reader.
Attach the card reader to phone or tablet and upload photos
here.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back