Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best quality K98 producer/year

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Erma? They have some beautifully finished rifles before they gave it up for machine guns. I don't recall how well they shot for the testing phase.
    No love for the Erma?? You guys are harsh. As an aside I have an early 16 Amberg receiver and bolt that appear pretty minty. Someone on another board years ago swore they were very high quality. 'Hadn't come under any real pressures... the quality of their steel was very good'

I don't know if that's true or not. It is a quality action for as much as I know about a quality rifle action.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
    Not here in the UK they don't.

Hundreds and hundreds of decent, including all matching, K98k's have been butchered by de-activation during the past 30 years here, to be bought by non-firearm licence holding collectors or re-enactors....
    Sad to hear. How bad are the deacts if I may ask?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

By the time they were released from service in the 1970's and early 80's the vast majority of them (like mine) had shot out barrels, as were just being put back into store and replaced with ones from the stores.
    Dragging this a little furthur off topic , what is the round count to shoot out a an Enfield Barrel...and lets add to that , vs a Mauser barrel ? Is there a known life span for either ?

Is there an avg range where accuracy starts to suffer sufficently enough that it can no longer be used to snipe. I am curious if one vs the other used a superior steel ..?

I’ve always believed they weld the actions. That’s what I’ve come across in the past. Sometimes the barrel will be filled. I’ve heard of that too.

Not sure what you mean, 'how bad'?

If you mean, what is done to de-act them, then it depends on when it was done.

In the UK, before 1988, there was very little that needed to be done, but the rules were changed and made more detailed in 1988, as well as having to be proof stamped with a certificate of deactivation.
    For bolt action rifle, between 1988 and 2016-ish, the barrel had to be saw cut along at least a third of its length, and a metal rod welded inside, and a steel pin drilled through the chamber and welded in. The firing pin had to be removed and the bolt face had to be saw cut at a 45 deg angle across the width of the bolt. At least you could still virtually field strip and the actions still worked. For a semi-auto or full auto any gas pistons etc had to be removed as well. Semi-auto's and full auto specs were further tightened in the UK in 1995, with some welding up of actions to prevent field stripping and cocking.
    Since then though the dreaded EU got its knickers in a twist after the Paris attacks, and instead of just adopting the UK de-act rules which were the most comprehensive in the EU, it went way further and totally lost the plot, and now everything has to be welded up so no working actions, no stripping. Old spec guns, can't now be sold or traded, they have to be re-submitted and further cut/welded up to the current regs to be able to be sold or traded.

..now everything has to be welded up so no working actions, no stripping. Old spec guns, can't now be sold or traded, they have to be re-submitted and further cut/welded up to the current regs to be able to be sold or traded.
    Well that's pretty awful. I hadn't realized it had gotten that bad. I suspected a plug welded in the chamber

Interesting, given the early war low turret snipers only seemed to be made by Oberdorf and JP Sauer, which indicates Sauer's must have scored reasonably well in the accuracy stakes?
    The 147 code 1940 Norwegian capture K98kF1 I used to own seemed to be pretty good quality, and after all Sauer were making them from the start as well as Obendorf?

I'd quite like to find another Sauer made K98, but might be waiting a while for that here in the UK, as any K98k is not easy to come by, let alone maker specific!!
    A few year ago when I was in the planning stages of building a LSR sniper clone I took 4 K98's to the range to see which had the best accuracy to use for the project. A CE 43 beat all the others including a Russian Capture byf 44 with a minty bore. The CE 43 was formerly sporterized. the receiver bridge has holes where somebody had a peep sight installed. So its value as a collectible had already been crushed before I got it.