Third Party Press

Empire Arms New Arrivals

BigShell

A dozen or so K98k's in the latest list of new arrivals (have to be signed up to receive emails), as well as a handful of trainers. Some pretty terrible rifles in the bunch from a collector standpoint, but a few nice ones. They all seem to have honest, no nonsense descriptions. I snagged the 1936 S/42 "h" block, which may have been a couple benjamins overpriced, but will be a nice upgrade to my 36 MO with a sanded stock; bolt MM's are my jam. I know some folks have had issues with Dennis, but I've always found him to be an good seller.

"GERMAN Model 98k Mauser bolt-action rifle # 194h (8x57) mfg. by Mauser (code S/42 ) in 1936. Excellent condition, with full original bluing remaining. This is an ALL-MATCHING rifle with the exception of the MISMATCHED bolt (all parts of which matches itself). Bore is mirror bright and very strong, Weimar eagles are clear. Has Walnut stock and has an arsenal-repair to heel with many handling marks from actual service use. Clear matching serial numbers and other markings on the bottom. Not import marked, includes cleaning rod. PHOTO . . . $1175."

194h.jpg

..I snagged the 1936 S/42 "h" block, which may have been a couple benjamins overpriced, . . . $1175.

It looks pretty good to me. I've seen a LOT worse for a LOT more. Honest bolt m/m>fake, pimp-shined nonsense.

Nice pickup, that's the one I saw that piqued my interest

Dennis has some nice rifles, just wish there were a few more pictures.

Well done. Empire / Kroh are alright by me FWIW. He can be crabby but I’ll take that over slippery all day ;) I’ll drink with a crab, but not an eel.

"GERMAN Model 98k Mauser bolt-action rifle # 194h (8x57) mfg. by Mauser (code S/42 ) in 1936. Excellent condition, with full original bluing remaining. This is an ALL-MATCHING rifle with the exception of the MISMATCHED bolt (all parts of which matches itself). Bore is mirror bright and very strong, Weimar eagles are clear. Has Walnut stock and has an arsenal-repair to heel with many handling marks from actual service use. Clear matching serial numbers and other markings on the bottom. Not import marked, includes cleaning rod. PHOTO . . . $1175."

So if it plays out in hand as it's described above I'd say you did very well. Not the 'robbin the widow' good but better. In an era where RCs push and maybe exceed 750 and MMs go over 1k... allegedly. What would this rifle cost if it was a bolt match? I have ideas but I'm no expert. I hate giving valuations personally.

Dennis has some nice rifles, just wish there were a few more pictures.

Totally agree, but I’ve learned to trust his descriptions. Can’t wait too long thinking about it either, his good deals get snagged within minutes. In fact I wasn’t even first in line for this one.

Well done. Empire / Kroh are alright by me FWIW. He can be crabby but I’ll take that over slippery all day ;) I’ll drink with a crab, but not an eel.

I remember reading a story about a Deaths Head rifle that a member here bought that turned out to be fudged. IIRC he took it back after some back and forth. Crabby? Yes. Crooked? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never understood why sellers almost always say " This is an all matching rifle with the exception of _ _ _ _."

Why not "Mostly matching rifle with M/M _ _ _ _." ..?

The first one is a lie quickly followed with a correction , whereas the second one is the truth minus the need for a retraction or clarification .

I am thinking it must be the psychological effect of saying it is all matching first and then down playing the M/M as it is "only" one item.

Much akin to the game that is played with pricing....99.95 vs 100.00 . Buyers percieve it drastically differently even though it is only 5 cents.

Whatever the case I dont think you did badly @ all given the current market.

It doesn’t bother me when it comes to bolt/stock MM rifles, when the understanding is (aside from the bolt/stock) everything is original to the rifle.

When I get annoyed is when you see the add for the “All matching K98 with only the trigger guard, follower, stock, buttplate, bolt, and front barrel band not matching to the receiver.”

It doesn’t bother me when it comes to bolt/stock MM rifles, when the understanding is (aside from the bolt/stock) everything is original to the rifle.

When I get annoyed is when you see the add for the “All matching K98 with only the trigger guard, follower, stock, buttplate, bolt, and front barrel band not matching to the receiver.”

Same here, and though I’d value FULL matching and original highest I have no problem with honest bolt mismatch or stock mismatch rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst is “all matching rifle with bolt matching itself.” That’s a carnival barking douchebag move. The two types of carnie douchebag auction ads: one is very short on information. They get irritated when you ask questions which stop them from ripping you off. The other ad is a bullshit blizzard of word salad and search terms, such as “for fans of [list of every WW2 firearm]” and then a list of everything that matches without telling you what doesn’t. This is the gun carnie douche who likes to state “all matching!” and bury “bolt matches itself” later in the carnival bark word salad.

Bought the pictured M1936 Mexican Mauser from Empire not long ago. The rifle is perfect, and Kroh was easy to do business with. Make sure Empire has your FFL before placing an order.

Attachments

• 60105P.jpg
    60105P.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 81
Pics of the 1936 S/42

Wanted to share a few pics of the MO from Empire. Disappointed in the stock. There is some sort of shellac or something which you can see in the pics, most prominent in the bolt cut out. I hesitate to call it shellac but maybe y'all can tell me what you think it is. You can also see the large repair at the toe, which doesn't bother me too much. This stock has seen some stuff.

With that said, the bluing is immaculate and all the numbers look good, so I'm hanging onto it for now. Excuse the "glamour shots" alongside my other pre-war MO. :laugh:

Came with a matching Steyr bolt.

IMG_8193.jpgIMG_8194.jpgIMG_8191.jpgIMG_8196.jpgIMG_8198.jpgIMG_8199.jpgIMG_8202.jpg

Last edited:
There is some sort of shellac or something which you can see in the pics, most prominent in the bolt cut out. I hesitate to call it shellac but maybe y'all can tell me what you think it is.

Thinking organic shellac or some locally produced variant of the period? Hung over a fireplace for x number of decades? Looks really nice. The metal finish and blue on these is pretty special.

Military Rifle Journal
Back