Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: svw45 "a" block I picked up today

Default svw45 "a" block I picked up today

I picked up this "a" block svw45 today at a pawn shop and thought I would share it. What caught my eye when I first walked in the shop was the sling. It looks to me to be a bring back that someone's father or grandfather had brought back. I don't see any import marks on it and it doesn't look like a Russian capture to me.

I've taken a few pictures of it but won't have a chance to break it down until later this weekend. The bolt is a total mismatch. Overall the rifle looks mostly phosphate finish to me.

I've noticed on mrfarb's website latewar.com that it shows "a" bloack serial numbers ending at 16XXXa so this one has me a bit stumped with a serial number of 17156a.

The shop had it marked as a Yugoslavian Mauser and I wasn't about to correct them. I made an offer and they took it. It doesn't look humped to me but the bolt certainly has been pieced together. When and where I have no clue. All in all it looked for all intents and purposes to be a legit bring back piece to me.

The serial number has me intrigued because of the serial number range mrfarb has on his website so I'm interested in seeing the discussion on this one. http://www.latewar.com/html/svw.htm

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More pictures

Here are a few more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm guessing Mike hasn't updated that site for a while as svw45's are recorded well into the 19k range.

Looks like you got a decent score.
    WTB: Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Quote Originally Posted by jbmauser View Post
    I'm guessing Mike hasn't updated that site for a while as svw45's are recorded well into the 19k range.

Looks like you got a decent score.
    Thanks for the information on the serial numbers. I think I did ok considering I paid what I would consider Russian capture price.

Yes hello sir I will take this one Yugoslavian Mauser right here for your listed price lol! Got to love stories like that good find for you buddy.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Congratulations. Very nice "Yugo"

Awesome walnut Kriegs stock. Does it match? Gotta be pretty rare, I donít recall seeing many.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShell View Post
    Awesome walnut Kriegs stock. Does it match? Gotta be pretty rare, I donít recall seeing many.
    The stock wouldn't have been numbered. Walnut is pretty common in late MO production.
    WTB: Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Good to know, had no idea.

Nice rifle! Those screws look like they were added at some point, look like regular hardware store screws.
    23, have been collecting for five years, looking for bnz45 bolt + front km band, Parts for the following: dot44/swp45 action for semi-kriegs stock. bnz41, byf44, bnz.4, dou.45, late dou barrel.