Third Party Press

Need some help Id'ing this gewehr 98

Hi, fellas,
New to the site, trying to find info on my gewehr 98 that i found in my grandmother's attic, along with a 1918 Enfield No. 1 mk III* (almost perfect condition) and a 1907 model Winchester 1897 (crack in receiver, mantelpiece item).

i have tried to lookup proofs and things to match mine to, but i can't find the exact ones. Obviously it's A DWM. the year's been skinned off, it's 19-- cannot read the rest. i know it doesn't have the correct stock, barrel and bolt. so here's some pictures of what I'm working with.

20200524_172952.jpg

Attachments

• 20200524_172757.jpg
    20200524_172757.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200524_173151.jpg
    20200524_173151.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 69
Hi, fellas,
New to the site, trying to find info on my gewehr 98 that i found in my grandmother's attic, along with a 1918 Enfield No. 1 mk III* (almost perfect condition) and a 1907 model Winchester 1897 (crack in receiver, mantelpiece item).

i have tried to lookup proofs and things to match mine to, but i can't find the exact ones. Obviously it's A DWM. the year's been skinned off, it's 19-- cannot read the rest. i know it doesn't have the correct stock, barrel and bolt. so here's some pictures of what I'm working with.

View attachment 238730
Welcome. Can you take a pic of the top of the receiver ring and barrel code? (Underside of the barrel.. 2 letters and a number)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Welcome. Can you take a pic of the top of the receiver ring and barrel code? (Underside of the barrel.. 2 letters and a number)

well heres's what i got. i think it's what you asked for? This barrel isn't the OE barrel, it has no identifying features on it at all.

Attachments

• 20200524_151858.jpg
    20200524_151858.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
180 degrees over. Flip it.
Unfortunately, this rifle has been rebarreled. Collector value is shot, but if it is tied to a family member, that has a different kind of value and something that still makes it special in its own way.

Thanks for sharing

Unfortunately, this rifle has been rebarreled. Collector value is shot, but if it is tied to a family member, that has a different kind of value and something that still makes it special in its own way.

Thanks for sharing

Well I'm guessing it was my grandfathers at some point. Like I said I found these in my grandmothers attic. It was in bad shape to begin with. There's a huge gap between the receiver and the barrel. Us it worth it trying to fix this one or should I look for another?

Well I'm guessing it was my grandfathers at some point. Like I said I found these in my grandmothers attic. It was in bad shape to begin with. There's a huge gap between the receiver and the barrel. Us it worth it trying to fix this one or should I look for another?
My recommendation would be to build this as a sporter (damage is already done, it's not a rare maker--and rebarrel expensive to fix for what will be a m/m shoiter) get a sporter stock and an already sporterized bolt and you could have a nice hunting rifle/shooter with sentimental value.

If you want one in original condition, use us as a resource in your search. We have a number of advanced collectors here that can help you find one or maybe even sell one to you.

It is 1917 manufacture, can't be anything else with the RR we can see and the fact it is an i-block.

View attachment 238730

Military Rifle Journal
Back