Third Party Press

Looking Stg44 mp44 semi auto build guide

DylanE

So I was lucky enough to snag a sing saw but mp44 kit back in the day and I've decided to try and build a semi auto gun oh, so I'm wondering if there's any solid guides on modifying used fire semi-automatic only. Seems to be really hard to find any good solid information.

You need two round copper rods and one rectangular copper bar as an alignment jig for welding. A lathe is required for tight fit. I bought a complete trigger pack from an SSD PTR44, replaced 3 internal FCG parts with U.S. made parts, snagged a U.S. made barrel, made non-auto clearance cuts by removing the auto sear feature from the original op-rod and welded respective blocking pieces into the receiver before finish welding. There's more or less useless advice on the usual builders' sites, some good stuff, some over the top modifications. Bottom line is, build it such that it can't be turned back into an FA device by simply swapping parts and a little filing here and there.
Always take advice from guys on the internet (this includes me) with a grain of salt. If you screw up, YOU will go to jail. Not the internet guys.

How do you get around the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule when rebuilding on an original receiver?

How do you get around the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule when rebuilding on an original receiver?

Doesn't apply here. Once it's cut up in compliance with ATF rules, it's not a firearm anymore, it's funny shaped metal scraps. There are hundreds of threads about this topic on the interwebz.

You need two round copper rods and one rectangular copper bar as an alignment jig for welding. A lathe is required for tight fit. I bought a complete trigger pack from an SSD PTR44, replaced 3 internal FCG parts with U.S. made parts, snagged a U.S. made barrel, made non-auto clearance cuts by removing the auto sear feature from the original op-rod and welded respective blocking pieces into the receiver before finish welding. There's more or less useless advice on the usual builders' sites, some good stuff, some over the top modifications. Bottom line is, build it such that it can't be turned back into an FA device by simply swapping parts and a little filing here and there.
Always take advice from guys on the internet (this includes me) with a grain of salt. If you screw up, YOU will go to jail. Not the internet guys.

Any chance he can provide pictures of how you converted years? Its a lot better to comprehend with photos

Also would it be possible to remove the existing trigger pack and use a semi auto hk style trigger pack, I know thats basicly what HMG did

Also would it be possible to remove the existing trigger pack and use a semi auto hk style trigger pack, I know thats basicly what HMG did

I think using HK style pack would be very hard as I doubt the dimensions line up. I have heard of people using the original lower and ar-15 fcg with various degrees of success. But if you looking for 922r parts I believe there are some options online for pars now.

I worked with it before

You need to have the skills to butt weld fairly thin sheet metal with minimum warping. The pieces need to meet spot on or you will end up with wafer thin metal after you file/sand the seams flush.

You need to have the skills to butt weld fairly thin sheet metal with minimum warping. The pieces need to meet spot on or you will end up with wafer thin metal after you file/sand the seams flush.

I have some welder friends to help me out so I'm not too worried about welding, what I'm mainly concerned about is the actual conversion to semi auto.

Are you familiar with the legal implications of 922(r) and 80% finished receiver regulations? You cannot have someone build a receiver and then "give" it to you.

Once again I highly recommend buying a new build semi auto when they come out in a few months.

Last edited:
this thread is giving me a headache, the op wants to build up a semi-mp-44, but is not aware of the 922 regs, or others assisting you. He also did not research the subject here and on other sites. this is not slapping a ak together project, it is obvious from this thread and others on other sites, you are not a experienced builder

sell the kit and buy a new semi-auto from dingo!!

Why? If you modify the FCG with the blocking bar, takeout the FA pieces, etc... no problem. And weld up the FA sear opening on the receiver.

Military Rifle Journal
Back