Third Party Press

Period photo

Amberg

Attached photo shows two officers from Bavarian Reserve Infanterie Regiment No. 2.
Some interesting rifle/sniper related details/items are shown.
Let's see if you Imperial collectors find them. :ban:

Attachments

• k.b. 2. RIR SSG.jpg
    k.b. 2. RIR SSG.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 155
Without much doubt, you are referring to the special sniper grenades :googlie . Additional to them is of course the leather scope case (swinging around for being blurry?). Flat bolthead makes it obvious which rifle is a sniper rifle.

Without much doubt, you are referring to the special sniper grenades :googlie . Additional to them is of course the leather scope case (swinging around for being blurry?). Flat bolthead makes it obvious which rifle is a sniper rifle.

two more .....

Awesome photograph! About as good as these get, - I only caught the case and the bolt handle, though I was as interested in the assorted litter and the two Officers as the rifles... I have long collected pictures, really exceptional ones are difficult to find, more difficult to afford, - damned difficult to sneak up on a really nice or interesting picture if it has certain attributes (sniper, accessories or specialized units with the right mix of appeal, - or really good combat scenes, patrols w/PoW's or with their gear..)

Wolfgang, I did notice these two details but would not had thought they are sniper-specific.

The makeshift cloth muzzle cover was introduced in October 1915 for general use.
The Ledersack was only introduced in the Bavarian Army and only for sniper rifles. 744 pieces were made of leather and another 2,821 from canvas.

Attachments

• Ledersack.jpg
    Ledersack.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 44
So they stored the rifle without scope in there? Would had made more sense with the scope mounted ...

Actually the scope case was far better protection for the scope than the soft rifle case.
I'm wondering if the holster is for a 1907 Dreyse pistol.
I love the entrenching axe and wonder if it is intended to be used as a weapon in this case.

Military Rifle Journal
Back