Third Party Press

Why 44

I see that the more knowledgeable collectors prefer 1944
To all other dates. Why?

Speaking for myself, when I wanted to collect bayonets I chose 1944 because A - you could limit the collection size B - you can obtain all of them to fill you collection C - condition is high on 44 date blades.

I gave up, it was too hard/expensive to find some of the rarer ones so I sold the majority off.

During my time collecting bayonets I've went through several stages including just buying whatever I could early on. I focused on certain manufacturers such as Durkopp, Mundlos, and Elite-Diamant.

And recently I've been focusing on 1944 date ones. I like the riveted grips and the red looking bakelite always looks nice. The early war examples are nice but I prefer the late war roughness.

I wouldn’t say most prefer them, but as Mike said, there are lots in nice condition, and lots of codes that year due to a few code changes.

All of the above. At one time the availability of '44 dated bayonets, coupled with condition, made them attractive and relatively easy to acquire. Collectors also discovered a number of sub-variants, such as riveted-grips, late codes (sgx & pyy), "can" sub-contact scabbards and "last-ditch" manufacture & finishes. Even though some '44s were produced in fewer numbers than previous years, the survival rate was likely higher to those made in earlier years and subject to war loss. I started with the later bayonets because my original intent was to match-up a commensurate one for each of my German rifles. Since my Kar98ks were mostly '44s (acquired for the same reasons as the '44 bayonets), this is how it began. However, the bayonets, in relatively short order, evolved into a collection unto it's own.

I would not say the "knowledgeable" collectors prefer 1944 production as that infers the rest of us do not know as much about what we collect. Now granted in my case I may not know as much about bayonets as say Andy or pwcosol, but I do know about what I collect. I started out years ago collecting bayonets of all kinds, which was what ever was available in my local area. There was no internet to aid me along and most of what I learned was from word of mouth. And some of that word ended up being BS, as I have learned over those years. I sold off all of my collection in 85 except one small Swedish barrel knife. I got into S84/98 III bayonets just a few years ago. I received a K98 byf43 from a friend, it needed a bayonet, I got an ab43. That did it. I got the S84/98 III virus, not to the extent as some of the guys here though. I did the one S84/98 III for each year. It was an easy goal and did not take for ever. I upgrade now on occasion or pick up oddities. Collecting S84/98 III s has branched off to other German blades. I am getting as many Ks98 variations as I can find now. They abound and can be quite affordable for the most part. It is all a preference with some knowledge thrown in.

I would not say the "knowledgeable" collectors prefer 1944 production as that infers the rest of us do not know as much about what we collect. Now granted in my case I may not know as much about bayonets as say Andy or pwcosol, but I do know about what I collect. I started out years ago collecting bayonets of all kinds, which was what ever was available in my local area. There was no internet to aid me along and most of what I learned was from word of mouth. And some of that word ended up being BS, as I have learned over those years. I sold off all of my collection in 85 except one small Swedish barrel knife. I got into S84/98 III bayonets just a few years ago. I received a K98 byf43 from a friend, it needed a bayonet, I got an ab43. That did it. I got the S84/98 III virus, not to the extent as some of the guys here though. I did the one S84/98 III for each year. It was an easy goal and did not take for ever. I upgrade now on occasion or pick up oddities. Collecting S84/98 III s has branched off to other German blades. I am getting as many Ks98 variations as I can find now. They abound and can be quite affordable for the most part. It is all a preference with some knowledge thrown in.

Hi I agree , They just have been keeping track of the serial ranges and codes.and they have seen a lot since the internet. Its a lot of work. Before the internet hardly any new about the codes and rarity. My first matching bayonet was in 1967. Collected them ever since. But I never kept track of the serial numbers or codes to be honest with you. But I can tell you I bought matching bayonets that where always unusable ,or a different marking. Back than no one new. I than got the German code book in the late 80's. That helped. No I'm not a expert .Just have seen a lot and handled a lot. I did the same with K98's. where I remember most people did not know what what the eagle L or eagle m was meant for . Is was a edge back than. Now with all the good books and the internet, All you need to do is read and look at photo's to help you know your not buying a turd. I do believe knowledge is power .Just my 2 cents. SVW1945

Hi I agree , They just have been keeping track of the serial ranges and codes.and they have seen a lot since the internet. Its a lot of work. Before the internet hardly any new about the codes and rarity... Now with all the good books and the internet, All you need to do is read and look at photo's to help you know your not buying a turd. I do believe knowledge is power. SVW1945

Back in 1996, collector John Jacobi began to form what became the Bayonet Collector's Network (BCN). The original focus of the organization was to study the German S84/98 T3. John solicited potential members, received emails from them, and posted their submissions to the group several times a week. Eventually the BCN grew to have around 300 members worldwide and the format evolved to encompass all bayonets and related militaria. Unfortunately by 2015, it was apparent only a dedicated number of collectors were still contributing to the conversations. In addition, the advent of online forums, which enabled members to discuss or exchange information in a more timely manner, contributed to the BCN closing down in June of that year. However, a BCN Facebook group had been forming and is still active. In any event, during the 19 years the BCN was in operation, much data was collected, shared and retained by the former membership...many of whom are current members of this Forum, for the benefit of all.

Addendum: Forgot to mention a BCN sub-forum, established around 2006, remains hosted on the Germandaggers.com website. There seems to be limited interaction on it now, and many of the discussions center around German "extraseitengewehre".

Last edited:
Back in 1996, collector John Jacobi began to form what became the Bayonet Collector's Network (BCN). The original focus of the organization was to study the German S84/98 T3. John solicited potential members, received emails from them, and posted their submissions to the group several times a week. Eventually the BCN grew to have around 300 members worldwide and the format evolved to encompass all bayonets and related militaria. Unfortunately by 2015, it was apparent only a dedicated number of collectors were still contributing to the conversations. In addition, the advent of online forums, which enabled members to discuss or exchange information in a more timely manner, contributed to the BCN closing down in June of that year. However, a BCN Facebook group had been forming and is still active. In any event, during the 19 years the BCN was in operation, much data was collected, shared and retained by the former membership...many of whom are current members of this Forum, for the benefit of all.

Addendum: Forgot to mention a BCN sub-forum, established around 2006, remains hosted on the Germandaggers.com website. There seems to be limited interaction on it now, and many of the discussions center around German "extraseitengewehre".

Yes Sir! It was John who got me started collecting 44 dated bayonets. I was collecting police and matching KM bayonets prior. Like Mike, I never did get them all so gave up the quest. I did find some super neat ones ,,variations that had phosphated parts and even a CUL44 that has a phosphated scabbard. I enjoyed membership in the BCN and met many fellow collectors due to membership.

Military Rifle Journal
Back