Third Party Press

Turd Alert > FAKE Short Side Rail

This is my personal opinion which is based on observation and discussion with other collectors. I did not find the document yet stating which marking to be used with which organization, otherwise I would had shared this one. The thought-to-predate the Ajack SS DG Hensoldt scopes come with HWZ marked SSR mounts. Ajack with lower serial numbers are on HWZ marked mounts. Ajack with higher serial numbers are on large WEIHRAUCH marked mounts. And the early Wehrmacht SSR mounts also are with the large WEIHRAUCH marked mounts; these are distinguishable by the much different font and font size on the mount whereas the SS Dienstglas scopes all have the same font used on the SSR mounts. Therefore my understanding is that only SS (in my context here SS always includes Police) used HWZ marked mounts.
May I therefore on the counterpart ask whether you have any proofs for HWZ marked mounts being used on a rifle not being SS/Police, in specific, on a Sauer K98k rifle? Really enjoying this discussions because these in depth details help a lot learning from other persons opinions and research and can help establish theories.

I'm a bit confused. Proven to not be incorrect means I was proven to be correct in my statement. Is that what you wanted to say?

To summarize, basically I said that the cutout in the locking lever is something that I'm aware of post WWII (unused) SSR mounts with bases that have this cutout. And if you read precisely my quote, I'm saying that this cut is a feature of post WWII made mounts, nothing more and nothing less. You replied you know of all matching rifles that have this cutout and depot repair and therefore you believe it to be a depot repair.
So far I have not seen an original picture from WWII showing this modification. Therefore we can argue whether the cut in this lever was a depot repair/enhancement/etc. and I wouldn't necessarily say this is a detail which would identify something as an obvious fake. It just means one has to pay great attention to the rifle because it could well indicate using an unused/NOS/post-WWII SSR mount to either restore or fake a SSR sniper rifle, and I'm putting these at higher chances than being a depot repaired SSR sniper rifle.

Sorry for the confusion , I meant to write (Which was proven to not be correct ) instead of ( incorrect )

I do have photos of one SSR which is all matching and HWZ proofed mount and it is Not an SS SSR . I have only pics of said Rifle . There is 2 photos in Robert Spielauers last book printed on Pg 63 which shows SSR Mount with WEIHRAUH logo and Kahles H/4x60 and another Pg 77 which shows type 3 SSR Mount with H/4X60 and recoil bar this Mount also has WEIHRAUH logo .These are not the exact HWZ proofed Mounts You mentioned but these are SSR Mounts with WEIHRAUH logo knowing this one could also come to think or suspect the HWZ proofed mounts were also used .

I have a substantal number of photo of original type 3 Sauer SSR Mounts and Non Sauer type Mounts most of the photos do not show if the mounts sport a Logo under the Depot Upgradenor do I know is if there is a HWZ or WEIHRAUH Logo hidden under the Depot Modification plate and locking stud because most collectors never remove these parts to photograph because most collectors do not know there maybe logo under this part so no reason to remove and look/photograph .

The subject of making blanket matter of fact statement has been addressed in the past , at that time it was stressed when making such a statement one should show proof or make it known that this is my opinion based on what you/I have seen . By not doing this it may be detrimental to a new or less knowledgable and or novice collector because it maybe be viewed as gospel by them were as its coming from a member that is viewed as a expert on the subject . This could also affect the reputation of this Forum as a place of misinformation .Best Regards

Empirical evidence? Not taking sides just saying usually there's a cataloging of observed examples. No?

The sample size of authenticate Short Side Rails in very small, making if difficult to make definitive statements.

Georg made a definitive statement. One which I imagine is hard to substantiate. I am certainly open minded to it but would need further evidence to convince me. And typically when a scientific theory is presented the research and reasoning for the theory is also presented so that others can also test it.

That is not how it works Georg. When you present a theory, as you have done, the burden is on you to prove it correct. It is not our job to prove you wrong. Dave has merely asked you to prove your theory correct.
Matt .. really? WTF is this post for. I'm trying to discuss a detail with Dave and to exchange opinions and data each has collected. I asked Dave if he can offer something that would speak against my theory and I'm hear to learn, but also to share what my research and my opinion is. I don't think Dave needs any assistance from your side and so far I was not under the impression I'm only allowed to post scientifically researched and by pictures and samples verified information that got proof-read by university professors, or to specifically mark each post of mine that what I've written is my personal opinion - I thought this is what everyone anyway does. If it is expected to only limit it to scientifically researched information maybe consider quitting this forum, rather than to try to learn from other persons theories and see what others say to that. Please share your opinion and your observations, that I would appreciate much more.

I do have photos of one SSR which is all matching and HWZ proofed mount and it is Not an SS SSR . I have only pics of said Rifle . There is 2 photos in Robert Spielauers last book printed on Pg 63 which shows SSR Mount with WEIHRAUH logo and Kahles H/4x60 and another Pg 77 which shows type 3 SSR Mount with H/4X60 and recoil bar this Mount also has WEIHRAUH logo .These are not the exact HWZ proofed Mounts You mentioned but these are SSR Mounts with WEIHRAUH logo knowing this one could also come to think or suspect the HWZ proofed mounts were also used .

I have a substantal number of photo of original type 3 Sauer SSR Mounts and Non Sauer type Mounts most of the photos do not show if the mounts sport a Logo under the Depot Upgradenor do I know is if there is a HWZ or WEIHRAUH Logo hidden under the Depot Modification plate and locking stud because most collectors never remove these parts to photograph because most collectors do not know there maybe logo under this part so no reason to remove and look/photograph.

Dave, I was specific when talking on HWZ marked mounts. By mentioning HWZ marked I meant that this does NOT include Weihrauch marked mounts, and it is obvious to anyone. This was written in my previous post as well. In fact I even mentioned I know of Weihrauch-marked SSR mounts that are THOUGHT to be Wehrmacht SSR mounts - so this also confirms what you wrote above. On the opposite side, once again, I have NOT seen any HWZ marked mount on any other rifle than a SS SSR sniper rifle. As a result, so far, it is my understanding that HWZ marked mounts from factory were only issued to SS. To make my opinion more obvious and to give reasons:
1. "Police Type" mount with the rounded radius on the mount base. Known with P. Köhler scopes and I have a lake found sample which has a (matching rifle number marked) 35.xxx serial Ajack 4x90 in it that is NOT "SS Dienstglas" marked.
2. "HWZ" marked mount. These show up with the very first SS Dienstglas marked Ajack scopes short time after the ones I mentioned under #1. I guess we agree that HWZ would mean "Hermann Weihrauch, Zella(-Mehlis), especially since Hermann Weihrauch registered the HWZ logo in 1921.
3. "Weihrauch" marked mout. I have not seen this mount with EARLY SS Dienstglas marked Ajack scopes, as well as it wouldn't make much sense Weihrauch at the same time producing two different mount types. Additionally having seen what I believe to be NON-SS but nevertheless Weihrauch-marked SSR mounts, I understood that these mounts would be the successor to the HWZ marked mounts.
4. Later SSR mounts (various types that are not included in the above three).

It is tough to argument against "I have pictures of opposite, but I don't show it". OK, then at least please then let me know more on that rifle that is all matching and has a HWZ marked mount. What make and year is that rifle, is the scope mount matching assembly numbers to the base as well, is the scope mount serialized with the letter prefix as well, or only the rifle serial?

Would you maybe agree upon that HWZ mounts were generally used for the SS, but it however cannot be excluded that for unknown reasons at least a single HWZ marked mounts might got delivered to the Wehrmacht among Weihrauch marked mounts, or a SS sniper rifle from the front fell into the hands of the Wehrmacht and/or was later overhauled/repaired by the Wehrmacht and used by the Wehrmacht?

This is a bit like my statement on the cutout in the locking lever. Anything could had happened at the front, but this is not the rule and anything that does not follow the rule should be looked at with high caution. But if we cannot state the rules that cover 99% of the cases, how then we could say anything at all?

The subject of making blanket matter of fact statement has been addressed in the past , at that time it was stressed when making such a statement one should show proof or make it known that this is my opinion based on what you/I have seen . By not doing this it may be detrimental to a new or less knowledgable and or novice collector because it maybe be viewed as gospel by them were as its coming from a member that is viewed as a expert on the subject . This could also affect the reputation of this Forum as a place of misinformation .Best Regards

I repeated what I said on the cutout in the locking levers and still stand by my opinion. It had not changed. Yet I am not the all-knowning person and of course I can be wrong too (by this sentence anyone will now know I'm not female ;-) ). I however fully agree with you that we have to be careful with what we say, plus what we are discussing here are very small and very minor details that most aren't even aware of, or don't even bother at all. Still, this is why I'm here and what I'm looking for and what I've been missing in the past, because these are the things that bear open questions.

I’m not attacking anyone’s position. All I’m saying is when someone presents a statement as fact it is not unreasonable to ask that person to show their reasoning for coming to that conclusion.

Matt .. really? WTF is this post for. I'm trying to discuss a detail with Dave and to exchange opinions and data each has collected. I asked Dave if he can offer something that would speak against my theory and I'm hear to learn, but also to share what my research and my opinion is. I don't think Dave needs any assistance from your side and so far I was not under the impression I'm only allowed to post scientifically researched and by pictures and samples verified information that got proof-read by university professors, or to specifically mark each post of mine that what I've written is my personal opinion - I thought this is what everyone anyway does. If it is expected to only limit it to scientifically researched information maybe consider quitting this forum, rather than to try to learn from other persons theories and see what others say to that. Please share your opinion and your observations, that I would appreciate much more.

Dave, I was specific when talking on HWZ marked mounts. By mentioning HWZ marked I meant that this does NOT include Weihrauch marked mounts, and it is obvious to anyone. This was written in my previous post as well. In fact I even mentioned I know of Weihrauch-marked SSR mounts that are THOUGHT to be Wehrmacht SSR mounts - so this also confirms what you wrote above. On the opposite side, once again, I have NOT seen any HWZ marked mount on any other rifle than a SS SSR sniper rifle. As a result, so far, it is my understanding that HWZ marked mounts from factory were only issued to SS. To make my opinion more obvious and to give reasons:
1. "Police Type" mount with the rounded radius on the mount base. Known with P. Köhler scopes and I have a lake found sample which has a (matching rifle number marked) 35.xxx serial Ajack 4x90 in it that is NOT "SS Dienstglas" marked.
2. "HWZ" marked mount. These show up with the very first SS Dienstglas marked Ajack scopes short time after the ones I mentioned under #1. I guess we agree that HWZ would mean "Hermann Weihrauch, Zella(-Mehlis), especially since Hermann Weihrauch registered the HWZ logo in 1921.
3. "Weihrauch" marked mout. I have not seen this mount with EARLY SS Dienstglas marked Ajack scopes, as well as it wouldn't make much sense Weihrauch at the same time producing two different mount types. Additionally having seen what I believe to be NON-SS but nevertheless Weihrauch-marked SSR mounts, I understood that these mounts would be the successor to the HWZ marked mounts.
4. Later SSR mounts (various types that are not included in the above three).

It is tough to argument against "I have pictures of opposite, but I don't show it". OK, then at least please then let me know more on that rifle that is all matching and has a HWZ marked mount. What make and year is that rifle, is the scope mount matching assembly numbers to the base as well, is the scope mount serialized with the letter prefix as well, or only the rifle serial?

Would you maybe agree upon that HWZ mounts were generally used for the SS, but it however cannot be excluded that for unknown reasons at least a single HWZ marked mounts might got delivered to the Wehrmacht among Weihrauch marked mounts, or a SS sniper rifle from the front fell into the hands of the Wehrmacht and/or was later overhauled/repaired by the Wehrmacht and used by the Wehrmacht?

This is a bit like my statement on the cutout in the locking lever. Anything could had happened at the front, but this is not the rule and anything that does not follow the rule should be looked at with high caution. But if we cannot state the rules that cover 99% of the cases, how then we could say anything at all?

I repeated what I said on the cutout in the locking levers and still stand by my opinion. It had not changed. Yet I am not the all-knowning person and of course I can be wrong too (by this sentence anyone will now know I'm not female ;-) ). I however fully agree with you that we have to be careful with what we say, plus what we are discussing here are very small and very minor details that most aren't even aware of, or don't even bother at all. Still, this is why I'm here and what I'm looking for and what I've been missing in the past, because these are the things that bear open questions.

Georg
My Original Question to You was what proof do You have that HWZ marked mounts were not used on Army/Heer SSR .

Your brake down on SS SSR lineage is informative for the the new or novice collectors , but it does not address my specific and original question which was asked . The SS SSR are different subject altogether . Much has been learned about the SS SSR but these SSR have no bearing on Army/Heer SSR which is what my original question addressed

Yes I agree , it is tough to argue or debate when someone says I have Pics of this or that and does not post them , the fact is the SSR is not mine and I do not have permission to post them . The SSR is 100% Matching SSR 237/1939 HWZ proofed Mount with Ajack 4X90 . Mount & Base have same pairing number . Let me be clear I only have pics I have never inspected said SSR in hand but from the photos but it looks promising .

(Originally Posted by Absolut)

I would agree to one part of your above comment . Which is that the single HWZ marked Mount may have been used by Wehrmacht .

I am confused by your comment about the lineage of the SSR Mounts in your 3. post . Please clarify which Mount in photos do You consider first type ,pic on left or pic on right

I ask this question because I have always been told and I have been under the impression that WEIHRAUH/HWZ Mounts came 1st and HWZ Mount came 2nd. We know that Army/Heer DID use WEIHRAUH/HWZ Mounts , so it seems logical that they would also have also used HWZ marked Mounts.

I made a Correction the SSR I mentioned is a 237/1939 NOT 243/1939

Attachments

• 1938 SSR 028.jpg
    1938 SSR 028.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 27
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Dave, remember my Ajack S/N 35.XXX with the "Police Type" SSR mount here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?33301-Early-Ajack-on-SSR-non-SS-DG-marked ? It must had been one of the very first SS (well, or Police) SSR scopes, given the scope serial. Note the matching numbers Köhler type SSR mount it has. Robert then pictures a few Ajack SS DG SSR rigs that have very early 36.XXX serial and come with HWZ (only) marked mount. I am not aware of an early Ajack SS DG that has the Weihrauch marked SSR mount. So based on this observation I've put the mounts to the chronological order from my post above. I'm therefore having a really tough time to place the "Weihrauch" marked mounts at the very beginning.

May I therefore ask in opposite what the serial of the Ajack 4x90 from the 243/1939 rifle is, that you have pictures of (at least the first two digits)? Based on this we can place the Ajack scope prior or post the SS scopes and compare the 1939 dating rifle you speak of with the sniper conversion date of SS SSR sniper rifles (well, the firing proof on those rifles).

PS, additionally and just to have it mentioned: this 243/1939 rifle would deny the initial statement by many - including Mike - in this thread that Mauser never made SSR sniper rifles.

Dave, remember my Ajack S/N 35.XXX with the "Police Type" SSR mount here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?33301-Early-Ajack-on-SSR-non-SS-DG-marked ? It must had been one of the very first SS (well, or Police) SSR scopes, given the scope serial. Note the matching numbers Köhler type SSR mount it has. Robert then pictures a few Ajack SS DG SSR rigs that have very early 36.XXX serial and come with HWZ (only) marked mount. I am not aware of an early Ajack SS DG that has the Weihrauch marked SSR mount. So based on this observation I've put the mounts to the chronological order from my post above. I'm therefore having a really tough time to place the "Weihrauch" marked mounts at the very beginning.

May I therefore ask in opposite what the serial of the Ajack 4x90 from the 243/1939 rifle is, that you have pictures of (at least the first two digits)? Based on this we can place the Ajack scope prior or post the SS scopes and compare the 1939 dating rifle you speak of with the sniper conversion date of SS SSR sniper rifles (well, the firing proof on those rifles).

PS, additionally and just to have it mentioned: this 243/1939 rifle would deny the initial statement by many - including Mike - in this thread that Mauser never made SSR sniper rifles.

Yes , I recall that set . I would argue if the HWZ marked Mounts were the first variant as You suspect and WEIHRAUH/HWZ marked Mounts were 2nd variant then why are there not more surviving examples of the WEIHRAUH/HWZ Mounts . If it were as You suspect then I would expect just the opposite of what we see . Which is the vast majority of surviving examples are the HWZ marked Mounts with regard to SS SSR Mounts & Scopes .

The Serial number of Ajack I mention on 237/1939 is #34XXX opposite side Turret Ajack 4X90 .

The Barrel Date does not directly correlate to when the rifle was made into SS SSR . This Conversion Date is stamped on all SS Gew98 Conversions . Some have been reworked multiple times . Example SS SSR is built , lets say 11/38 and this same Rifle was
Re-barreled a second time it then gets a new date on new barrel say 8/40 . What You suggest doing is not accurate way to date

I am only referring to Army/Heer SSR Rifles in below comment
Just a thought as to who Produced the SSR Army Rifles that has not been mentioned by anyone here . I`ll give 2 examples that made me think of this possibility . We have learned just recently that the SC Mounts and also The Objective Mount Double Claws were installed/fit by the Mount Producers , Marholt for Single Claw and Greifelt Suhl Co. for Objective Mount DB Claw rifles . That said is it not possible that the Heer purchases said Rifles and then sent to WEIHRAUH/HWZ to be fit with Bases , Mounts & Optics ???????.

Dave, the SS SSR snipers I‘ve seen the barrel dates of all have a rather late firing proof, plus all have the SS2 Deaths Head. So that lead to the assumption that *maybe* SS2 could had outcarried the sniper conversion. But remember the barrel step on some DH Gew98 conversions carry HW stamped, others a Star. I‘ve once read that the HW could refer to Hermann Weihrauch, who might had been involved in the conversion.

The number of Weihrauch marked mounts versus the HWZ marked mounts might simply refer to the amount totally made. The SS contract could had been fulfilled, then followed the Weihrauch marked mounts, Wehrmacht only took the leftover parts and gave them to Sauer. Simpson once sold a SS SSR that has had a Weihrauch marked SSR mount - with a Sauer letter on it: https://simpsonltd.com/german-gew-98-snipers-rifle-conversion-ss-issue-c21464/ . While we may can argue on the scope, the rifle number on the mount does not look scrubbed nor overstamped/reapplied. It would be unlogical to me that you could find the large Weihrauch logo from the very beginning to the very end when Sauer made the rifles, and in between different mount patterns. Additionally the HWZ logo was registered by Sauer in 1921; why would they NOT use this logo on EARLY mounts and then come up with the old logo on LATER mounts? Therefore I still stand by my opinion that the HWZ mounts predate the Weihrauch marked mounts and Weihrauch marked mounts are to be found as Wehrmacht mounts as well.

To throw in something more substancial: you do agree that the „Police Type“ with the rounded top on the mount base predates the HWZ type, do you? Based on this the dating is possible another way: when did the manual of the Police listed the sniper rifle for the first time? Because at around this period this mount must had found first usage.

I am unsure what to think on the rifle you have mentioned. Couldn‘t it be SS overhauled/arsenal converted, no need to mark it SS2 because it didn‘t require deeper repair? You argumented how could I claim HWZ being SS, I therefore ask in opposite how could you outrule the rifle having been converted by (or for) the SS?

PS: when we are talking on this and maybe for future reference to others .. the Reichsführer SS gave order to the Police to send all K98k rifles with scopes on 11th January 1943, latest to arrive at Police School for Technology and Traffic in Berlin ASAP, and this school has to confirm the delivery latest up to 10th February 1943. Additionally, the request for hunters to „donate“ scopes date to late 1942/early 1943.

Military Rifle Journal
Back