Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turd Alert > FAKE Short Side Rail

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Default Turd Alert > FAKE Short Side Rail

Another Fake German Sniper for sale from a well known Dealer >https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-k98-by...-rifle-c48053/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roberts View Post
    Another Fake German Sniper for sale from a well known Dealer >https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-k98-by...-rifle-c48053/
    What did you spot?

Beavis Moderator Intern mdarnell19's Avatar

A fake byf43 Short Side Rail? Nooooo..... that's not possible. People don't fake Short Side Rails. Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by sombra View Post
    What did you spot?
    Mauser did not make short side rails, itís literally that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Mauser did not make short side rails, it’s literally that easy.
    Theoretically there could be the chance that the SS scrubbed a Mauser made Gew98 receiver or used a Mauser Standard Modell for SSR conversion, so technically it is not correct to say that on a Mauser made receiver there could not be a SSR sniper rifle. But of course not with a byf coded receiver.

Aside of that: HWZ marked mount is SS, so wrong for the Army SSR sniper this one is trying to resemble. And a correct military scope would not have focal adjustment.

Finally, for future reference since I'm sure it will turn up again and the pics will be deleted from Simpson website: byf43 serial 5612 l (not sure on the small L?) with Short Side Rail mount is not a factory made sniper rifle, but set up post WWII as a sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Mauser did not make short side rails, itís literally that easy.

It is certainly disconcerting that a "reputable" collectible firearm seller would post this rifle for 10k.

I wish they employed one of the experts from this forum.

Pursuing legit K98k rifles is a much more difficult task than collecting, say M1 Garands, Colt Pythons, etc.
    At least it is for me. It's a veritable minefield out there, what company can you trust?

Itís not really that collecting 98kís is more difficult, itís just that there is more variations therefore more to learn. If you shop snipers I will agree itís more difficult. I can assure you dealers know more than their listings say. They need sales to make money and they know the intelligence level of their customer base, which they exploit. Iím not naming any specific dealers, itís a general statement about the business.

Anyway, itís a fools errand buying short side rail snipers. 95% are either outright fakes or enhanced in some way. I just assume every one I see is fake, and Iím correct 95% of the time. Iíve never suggested to anyone who has asked my opinion to buy one. Ever. Much to Dave Roberts dismay.

Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by sombra View Post
    It is certainly disconcerting that a "reputable" collectible firearm seller would post this rifle for 10k.

I wish they employed one of the experts from this forum.

Pursuing legit K98k rifles is a much more difficult task than collecting, say M1 Garands, Colt Pythons, etc.
    At least it is for me. It's a veritable minefield out there, what company can you trust?
    I promise you that the minefield is quite worse in US military firearms like Garands, M1911A1s, and carbines. In fact, I find K98ks the easiest of military collectible rifles to authenticate. If by difficult you mean an area which takes study, time, and learning, then I guess K98k collecting is ďdifficultĒ. However, if you wish to collect things that have value, particularly value which increases over time, then if you donít want to be ripped off then any such hobby would be deemed ďdifficult.Ē Collecting things of no value, such as dirt clods, things found in roadside ditches, broken glass, etc. is not difficult, nor is collecting reproductions and humpjobs. If you donít want to take time to learn, when all the information you need is provided in the K98k book series and freely here, then K98k collecting is not for you. If you like learning, research, and collecting cool rifles, then youíre in the right place and right hobby.
    ďNot every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.Ē - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    If you donít want to take time to learn, when all the information you need is provided in the K98k book series and freely here, then K98k collecting is not for you.
    Could also read as
    If you donít want to take time to learn, then collecting is not for you.
    Since this applies to basically everything.

So too bad someone decided to modify what appears to have been a really nice rifle. Just like any form of collecting when the values rise the more people will spend trying to fake something. I used to be in Colt Collectors Assoc. and attend their shows. You should see what goes on there!