Third Party Press

Handguard Repair/butt plate replacement

k98dave

Suggestions on doing repair on this hand guard to keep it from getting worse? Its all the way thru and just about the entire length I have basic wood glue but not sure it will do the job. Epoxy based might?
Also butt plate is beyond saving, the dark area is actually stock wood as a piece of metal is missing. This is a non matching shooter grade but I am doing a light clean up restoration and shooter kit/spring upgrade

pix150957680.jpg

pix169387207.jpg

Last edited:
Suggestions on doing repair on this hand guard to keep it from getting worse? Its all the way thru and just about the entire length I have basic wood glue but not sure it will do the job. Epoxy based might?
Also butt plate is beyond saving, the dark area is actually stock wood as a piece of metal is missing. This is a non matching shooter grade but I am doing a light clean up restoration and shooter kit/spring upgrade

View attachment 238846

View attachment 238845

There was an original butt plate on ebay with a broken door. Maybe grab that and swap the door out or find another donor somewhere. There are repros if you want to go that route as well.

The handguard I would take it off and find another one if you are looking to shoot with it. I wouldnt shoot it with that one on there. There are reproduction handguards available in either wood or Fakelite (fake bakelite). If you insist on keeping that handguard you are going to have to fill that crack with a really good adhesive and even then I wouldnt shoot with it as it will crack some more eventually.

Wood glue will not do the job. You'll either need cascophen or Acraglas, nothing else will bond to oily wood.

Agree about hand guard I have seen the "Fakelite fore sale":laugh:

I just missed a repro butt plate on ebay yesterday. Seller (W. Darrin Weaver www.historicalparts.com) said he has several on both ribbed and solid doors. I sent him a message to see if he has any more. (Is this the author on the Book?)

I haven't tried getting old one off yet, screw slots are very shallow now and will have to try and re cut them first.

Agree about hand guard I have seen the "Fakelite fore sale":laugh:

I just missed a repro butt plate on ebay yesterday. Seller (W. Darrin Weaver www.historicalparts.com) said he has several on both ribbed and solid doors. I sent him a message to see if he has any more. (Is this the author on the Book?)

I haven't tried getting old one off yet, screw slots are very shallow now and will have to try and re cut them first.

Yes that is the same Darrin Weaver that wrote the book.

After re cutting screw slots with dremel managed to get buttplate off. As you can see its obviously toast, screws too. I saw the orig on e bay with the broken door, but not sure how to remove doors, is the outer sheet metal staked over the pin that the spring and door hang on.? Not sure if its do able or something I want to tackle. Ideas?

008.jpg

009.jpg

Maybe Darrin Weaver still has a repro for sale.

http://www.historicalparts.com/g43forsale.htm

Compartment door doesn't show perfect fit but better than nothing, I guess.

G43buttplate.jpg

After re cutting screw slots with dremel managed to get buttplate off. As you can see its obviously toast, screws too. I saw the orig on e bay with the broken door, but not sure how to remove doors, is the outer sheet metal staked over the pin that the spring and door hang on.? Not sure if its do able or something I want to tackle. Ideas?

View attachment 238899

View attachment 238900

The door is pinned through the buttplate on the side. If you drive the pin out, the door will come off. Reinstall in reverse. Its not a hard job.

The door is pinned through the buttplate on the side. If you drive the pin out, the door will come off. Reinstall in reverse. Its not a hard job.

Yes that's what It looks like, however willing to bet there was fixture when these were made to keep sides from distorting Same with removing the pin. I think these were never intended to be a serviceable part. Since mine is bad anyway I will fit a block of wood to the inside to keep it from distorting when I try to drive pin out. Its soaking in Kroil at the moment. Still waiting to hear back from D.Weaver on his repro.

Weaver's site talks about Covid-19 deployment.

01 MAY 20) Sorry folks, I'm mobilized (since 01 APR 20) again in the Army to help deal with this pandemic. You can email me but I don't know when each week I'll be able to ship anything. The book is on track, just proofed the layout of Chapter 20. Don't think this will delay the late Summer/early Fall release. See www.frontsightpostpublishing.com website. Wash your hands!

Tough to say. I’ve seen worn butt plates welded up and ground flush again. If you have access to a good welder, this may be an option.

That guard is well oiled with lots of “patina” which makes it had to do a repair. Common place to have a crack. Can be repaired internally and externally with some super glue and then blended in well. More of a cosmetic repair and likely not too strong.

Both repairs I’d almost leave as is “ridden hard and put away wet”.

This is one that I had welded up because it had holes in it just like yours. It needs a little cleanup but it should work. I really don't have a need for it at this time so if it's something you would consider, let me know.

Attachments

• G43 buttplate 01a.jpg
    G43 buttplate 01a.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 19
  • G43 buttplate 02a.jpg
    G43 buttplate 02a.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 18
  • G43 buttplate 03a.jpg
    G43 buttplate 03a.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 15
  • G43 buttplate 04a.jpg
    G43 buttplate 04a.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 16
  • G43 buttplate 05a.jpg
    G43 buttplate 05a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 15
Excellent. I love it when a plan works. People are far too worried about fixing and working on these rifles (G/K43's). Probably because they are flimsy and pieces of shite...but I still like them. Recently sold one and the guy was all upset about the stamped crack on the action cover. Sent him a link to Claus and washed my hands of the idiot. If I sold him a 1945 produced Jap rifle, I am sure he would have complained about the quality of the stock or if an MP44 he would complain that it has a dull phosphate finish versus a nice deep lustre blue.

Military Rifle Journal
Back