Third Party Press

Wow

Hopefully it is one of those feel-good stories where bidder R***M just reunited his matching barreled action with the original numbered stock he was lucky enough to find offered on eBay. Perhaps he is a member here and will post photos of the rifle when he gets it all back together.

Hopefully it is one of those feel-good stories where bidder R***M just reunited his matching barreled action with the original numbered stock he was lucky enough to find offered on eBay. Perhaps he is a member here and will post photos of the rifle when he gets it all back together.

That would be great. It doesn't explain the 2 other bidders going nuts with their bids though. These kind of auctions always start a chain reaction of people putting ridiculous prices on their items. Sellers on Ebay and Gunbroker are insane with their listing prices. I find a small amount of reasonable priced items there lately.

Perhaps it's a huckster collecting parts for another new original all-matching hump-job on gunbroker.

I was the one that bought that stock. Really wish the other bidder hadn't jacked the price up at the last second; if it wasn't for one other guy I would've had it for >$400ish. I have an early 1935 S/147/G barreled action, s/n 233a so it is correct for the two barrel band configuration. I've talked to guys about getting a repop made but I can't find anyone to do it. I've been looking for these parts for a long time and have had no luck so when I see something I need, I get it.

The reason I was bidding so high, is because I already have another single band WaA114 stock, so my intention is to now sell the single band stock, and thus reduce the net cost of the stock I got by hopefully half-ish. I'll post photos of the rifle put together once the stock gets to me. Almost done except for a bolt.

I've spent $1200 on a computer that crapped out after three years. This stock will last longer than that. Plus I know people that regularly spend more money on dumber things so I'm content with spending a bit more on something I'll keep for a long time. Despite losing my oil job some passive investments I have have been doing extremely well so my hobby budget has gone up anyhow.

Besides none of you guys got into mausers to save money now did you?

I thought this was a dual band spring stock when I saw this post, his pics aren’t clear enough to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..a dual band spring stock when I saw this post, his pics aren’t clear enough to tell.

You would be correct. After I saw the price I wanted to scope the features and try to figure out if it was 'right' and what would pull that price level. Using the zoom feature on pics #1 and 2 you can see that it is.

You would be correct. After I saw the price I wanted to scope the features and try to figure out if it was 'right' and what would pull that price level. Using the zoom feature on pics #1 and 2 you can see that it is.

I see that on my PC, it's not clear on my phone. Using the buyers logic seems sound to me, I'm the last one to complain about how much someone spends on a resto gun. This is nothing compared to some stupid shite I've done myself, I won't admit to it. Once he sells his other stock he's going to be just fine and have a rare dual band spring example for a fraction of what they cost matching. There's an S/147/k triggerguard on ebay too right now, I even thought about buying it but what do I need it for?

It’s a lot of money if you don’t need it but I understand. I need a set of unnumbered bands for a late 44 byf and I am willing to spend more than they are worth to most folks but that’s how it is. You can always make more money but things like this don’t come up very often. Glad you got the parts you needed for your rifle. My thoughts anyway.

I see that on my PC, it's not clear on my phone.

I figured that. Using cell phone pics, especially if you're bidding can be risky. Even on a 15" laptop screen is not clear without using the zoom feature.

Wanted to post this from my phone to compare it.

1c9a14051ef75527070745866911c61b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would never have spend that money on a more common K98 stock. But a dual band stock that's not norwegian/russian/anyone else capture, has matching hardware, and is not duffle cut or graffitied, does not come up often. Supply & demand kinda sucks but hey now I can enjoy the rifle and don't have to look for this elusive stock for the next 10 years waiting for one to pop up.

The way I've oriented my collection is that I don't have to have every maker/code combo there ever was, I just want one correct K98 for each year they were made. This was my 1935 K98. I don't plan on putting together any more of that vintage.

I was the one that bought that stock. Really wish the other bidder hadn't jacked the price up at the last second; if it wasn't for one other guy I would've had it for >$400ish. I have an early 1935 S/147/G barreled action, s/n 233a so it is correct for the two barrel band configuration. I've talked to guys about getting a repop made but I can't find anyone to do it. I've been looking for these parts for a long time and have had no luck so when I see something I need, I get it.

The reason I was bidding so high, is because I already have another single band WaA114 stock, so my intention is to now sell the single band stock, and thus reduce the net cost of the stock I got by hopefully half-ish. I'll post photos of the rifle put together once the stock gets to me. Almost done except for a bolt.

I've spent $1200 on a computer that crapped out after three years. This stock will last longer than that. Plus I know people that regularly spend more money on dumber things so I'm content with spending a bit more on something I'll keep for a long time. Despite losing my oil job some passive investments I have have been doing extremely well so my hobby budget has gone up anyhow.

Besides none of you guys got into mausers to save money now did you?

I think this a rational explanation for all of our irrational hobby conduct. I've spent thousands on a helmet with paint slopped on it. Not more than 50 years ago the same helmet could be found in a trash pile out by the road.

I followed that. Still can't believe it ended with such a extremely high winning bid!
I I remember right it started out at 600.00!:facepalm:

I followed that. Still can't believe it ended with such a extremely high winning bid!
I I remember right it started out at 600.00!:facepalm:

Here's a recap for posterity if it even matters. Started at $100 bid activity.PNG

FWIW, there's a lot of feedback in that bidding mix.

Last edited:
I sold half a dozen used G Dead tie dyes on Ebay, hoped to get $50. Bidding ended north of $1700, so crazier things have happened and there's clearly crazier people out there than us. :laugh:.

About 10 years ago I bought a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight stock at a gunshow for 20 bucks. Put it on eBay and it sold for $680 bucks, so this auction doesn't really surprise me and the buyer's logic makes perfect sense. Depending on how much he's got in the barreled action, he's probably got a pretty neat rifle for about a grand investment.

Depending on how much he's got in the barreled action, he's probably got a pretty neat rifle for about a grand investment.

Exactly! And what does a 'real' one cost, IF you can even find one for sale? I have some ideas.

Yeah I would never have spend that money on a more common K98 stock. But a dual band stock that's not norwegian/russian/anyone else capture, has matching hardware, and is not duffle cut or graffitied, does not come up often. Supply & demand kinda sucks but hey now I can enjoy the rifle and don't have to look for this elusive stock for the next 10 years waiting for one to pop up.

The way I've oriented my collection is that I don't have to have every maker/code combo there ever was, I just want one correct K98 for each year they were made. This was my 1935 K98. I don't plan on putting together any more of that vintage.

Look forward to seeing the rifle!

Military Rifle Journal
Back