Third Party Press

k-98 police bayonet ? Help for identification

I personally wouldnt blue it, as You never make a color tone of german blueing with new chemicals.

I wanted the blue colour but the result is blue-grey-blackish.In the picture the oil is shine and the real colour is not well represented.Later i will take more photos.

It is not good to alter a bayonet in such a way. A simple wipe down with oil, clean cloth and maybe some ultra-fine brass wool for the bad spots. As a collector of S84/98 III bayonets and preserver of said collection, I shuddered at the sight of the super blue in the back ground of your pic. It is your bayonet to do with as you like, but any collector value went out the window as soon as you altered it. There are numerous posts about the cleaning (or not cleaning) and preservation of these pieces of history. You sir, should take the time to read them.

It is not good to alter a bayonet in such a way. A simple wipe down with oil, clean cloth and maybe some ultra-fine brass wool for the bad spots. As a collector of S84/98 III bayonets and preserver of said collection, I shuddered at the sight of the super blue in the back ground of your pic. It is your bayonet to do with as you like, but any collector value went out the window as soon as you altered it. There are numerous posts about the cleaning (or not cleaning) and preservation of these pieces of history. You sir, should take the time to read them.

Greetings, I completely understand your point. And I’m agree with you but I didn’t want to sell that piece.I wanted to be part of my collection on the wall and for that reason I decided to “destroy “ the collectors value in exchange for better look. The blade is never sharpened and it stays in that way,only thing that I did was to clean and lightly polish some bad looking parts and the scabbard. There are no other repairs or deep sanding, only the new coating (it supposed to be blue).That particular “super blue “ is a removable .

Last edited:
I don’t want to sound like a hipster modern collector, or purism nazi, but other then oil, pretty much leave it alone. If there is actual rust maybe some bronze wool, but any bluing touching up ruins the piece.

I didn't realize from the photos that you had cold blued it.
On the up side cold blue wears off fairly easily then you
will be back to where you started. Then it will look original
again.

I didn't realize from the photos that you had cold blued it.
On the up side cold blue wears off fairly easily then you
will be back to where you started. Then it will look original
again.

You are exactly at the my point. I didn’t want to ruining the bayonet,just wanted to add more good look to it.In the same time the process could be reversed.

Certainly this is a choice of the owner, i will not say is bad work, anyway i personally after some starting years of collecting, will not do this already, the doing some polishing on some parts is contraproductive and could be not reserved in my opinion.
The scabbard 43asw in ii range was in origin condition here on first picture, there was only minor blueing remains on it, as the period is typical for already rougher mashining, by polish the surface You remove the typical spures of mechanical mashining and old rest of blueing and wearing patina. Thats about. The polishing even carefully done couldbe not reversed, mainly on blade by polishing You blur the edges of metall , mostly on war period pieces is this more value decreasing as repairing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back