Third Party Press

New here, I have a 37 BSW

Cumli

Hello K98 community

I’m gonna be honest I have trouble using forum websites so I’m sorry, I’m 23 I should know how to do this stuff.
I’m sure you saw the title and yes, my dad recently gave me a 1937 BSW K98 with a low aerial number and all parts matching but 2.

Unfortunately my pictures are to large to upload, so here is an Imgur link to some picture of the gun. All feedback would help I know really nothing of these rifles, I’m very curious on the rarity and worth of my rifle although I would never sell.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FFzevml — detailed breakdown —
https://imgur.com/gallery/jQD7Rxo — normal pictures —
https://imgur.com/gallery/De51pIC — stock —

Last edited:
Floorplate and follower mismatch?
Is your stock matching to the rifle?

The back of the stock is in pretty rough shape so I cannot see any numbers, the only thing I can make out is the vertical in order, Eagle - H - waffen later today I am going to fully take it apart and see if there’s anything I didn’t catch

..I’m very curious on the rarity

First welcome and thanks for sharing your new rifle. As for rarity, we currently have no 1937 BSW examples in the pic sticky reference section so that says something. There are 10 referenced examples in Volume 1 so they are observed. Production was somewhat over 20,000 rifles in 1937 so just by those numbers they're fairly rare.

Some things show promise in your Imgur photos. The recoil lug is e/4 marked and that's a good sign. You mentioned the right side of the butt. Should be stacked stamps with Nazi style eagle/H, then large Weimar (droop wing) eagle/WaA4, over a slightly smaller Weimar/WaA4. The keel of the stock behind the trigger guard should have the full serial number over the suffix, and a larger and smaller Weimar acceptance stamps.

IF your stock is original to the rifle it would be even more rare as it's a laminate version. I've never seen a laminate BSW, even in photos.

Forgot to mention yours has an early import mark so it was not a ETO vet bringback. import mark.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional photos. Could you do a close up of the circled area? Also is there anything along the bottom where the line is? Should be. right side.PNG

Some of the questions/comments on your photos. The e/4 x 2 and 21 is on the sear. The trigger is an Imperial part which is why it's marked that way.

Not a 1 or scratch on the front sight but a stake that marks the zeroed alignment of the post and base.

The e/4 is the acceptance for the inspection team assigned there.

Welcome aboard. Yes, fairly rare rifle to have. I have some bSw's myself. Looks good but I feel the stock was replaced at some point in it's life. I've had a few 1937 bSw's and they all had walnut wood. Not saying it was never possible but if that IS the original stock, it's the only known example to show up. Mismatch follower and floor plate MM bring value down some. As for the import mark, it never kept me from owning one.

Welcome aboard. Yes, fairly rare rifle to have. I have some bSw's myself. Looks good but I feel the stock was replaced at some point in it's life. I've had a few 1937 bSw's and they all had walnut wood. Not saying it was never possible but if that IS the original stock, it's the only known example to show up. Mismatch follower and floor plate MM bring value down some. As for the import mark, it never kept me from owning one.

Thank you for the welcoming!

And on the inside of the stock the S/N matches but the rear of the stock, which I just posted pictures of is very hard to make out almost impossible especially capturing it with a phone
https://imgur.com/gallery/De51pIC

The Germans did wartime repairs and did renumber parts to match. This COULD be such a case. I have only ever seen one othe bSw wartime laminate stock replace, also a 1937 as fate would have it. banjomike here on the forum owns it.

..Looks good but I feel the stock was replaced at some point in it's life. I've had a few 1937 bSw's and they all had walnut wood. Not saying it was never possible but if that IS the original stock, it's the only known example to show up.

You're a lot more experienced with these but based on ALL the stock metal matching and e/4 and the acceptance pattern on right I'd have to say it's original. Maybe the only known example? IDK

Mismatch follower and floor plate MM bring value down some.

Agreed. How much? I think they're both from the same late 660 or early bnz rifle. At some point does scarcity trump a few minor mismatched parts when considering a rifle for a collection?

As for the import mark, it never kept me from owning one.

He's lucky that it's an early mark and not too garish. Probably hurts value a bit (we wish they didn't have import marks) but as above when does the scarcity trump this? Or how much does it effect value? I'm sure if you surveyed 20 collectors you'd get 20 different values.

You're a lot more experienced with these but based on ALL the stock metal matching and e/4 and the acceptance pattern on right I'd have to say it's original. Maybe the only known example? IDK

What does the “ 37k22 “ on the barrel mean? I tried everything on google and couldn’t find literally 1 thing
Also thank you so much guys for replying it really means a lot to me

Welcome aboard. . As for the import mark, it never kept me from owning one.

Yea. Import mark wouldn’t stop me either. How much you want for it ? :thumbsup:

Just kidding. She’s a looker and rare enough and complete enough (regardless if the stock is a match) to be a decent keeper and an excellent start to a k98 collection.

Congrats.

What does the “ 37k22 “ on the barrel mean?

It's the 'barrel code'. 37 is 1937. K is for Krupp the steel supplier. 22 is simply the steel lot for quality control purposes. Then the e/4 x 3 is the acceptance of finishing operations. Yours fits right in nicely.

You'll find lots of people here like examining new examples and helping new members. It's fun and interesting.

I found one, https://pre98.com/shop/sold-matching-1937-42-code-k98k-mauser-rare-laminated-stock/ this is the only one I could find with a red laminate stock that is 1937

That link is for a 1937 S/42 (Mauser Oberndorf manufacture), not a bSw. Berlin Suhler Waffenfabrik (bSw) never, to my knowledge used laminate wood. Laminate stocks started appearing in 1937 on other makers rifles but not bSw. Again, unless this is the exception rather than the rule.

That link is for a 1937 S/42 (Mauser Oberndorf manufacture), not a bSw. Berlin Suhler Waffenfabrik (bSw) never, to my knowledge used laminate wood. Laminate stocks started appearing in 1937 on other makers rifles but not bSw. Again, unless this is the exception rather than the rule.

I sent an email to 2 classic gun selling websites and I got a response from “Pre98 Antique“ I quote “ No 1937 bsw rifle ever left the factory with a laminated stock. So you can infer that at some point between 1937 and 2020 the stock was replaced. Hope this helps. ”
:(

Definitely an incredible first example. Especially coming from your Dad. I wouldn’t be too concerned over the few MMed parts. My BSW example isn’t exactly pure but I’m happy to have it. If I had to bet you’ll own a few more before you know it. Also, I’d be inclined to believe the guys around here’s opinion before an auction houses. These guys are pretty sharp.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back