Third Party Press

Ian McCollum gets a Weimar Kar98a

Guillaume d'Orange

Hi everyone,

In the first half of a new video, Ian Mc Collum comments on several Kar98a put up for auction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQTy0WqQhYY
I was expecting him to mention quite early that original Kar98a rifles (pre-Weimar) have a bolt and a follower finished in the white.
Anyway, he finally says that in a second video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDtKyjVTrU
and he indeed got a nice all-matching Kar98a in original condition (original=Weimar reblued) - and a muzzle cover !

What do you think, gents, about his analysis ?

I think, and hope that this brings an increase in popularity in Weimar era firearms. the back side to this though is that they will start being faked more often. I'm glad he made the video though!

I liked it. Then he called it a kar98az at the end of the video - not a deal killer but he probably just learned not to call it that, so many people still do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked it. Then he called it a kar98az at the end of the video - not a deal killer but he probably just learned not to call it that, so many people still do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, definitely a really super 98a from what was shown all things considered.

In the first video, while in the RIA rifle rack during his “preview”, he stated the sling was “original”.
It looks to have the sliding buckle of the 98k . . .NOT the buckle of the 98a.
Am I correct it has a WW2 era sling?

Addendum . . . .
After looking at his SECOND video, I see he acknowledged the sling was not an “a” version, but the common “k”version.

Last edited:
I think, and hope that this brings an increase in popularity in Weimar era firearms. the back side to this though is that they will start being faked more often. I'm glad he made the video though!
I hope not-- at least not yet! I'm not finished gathering up a bunch of them cheap :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back