Third Party Press

Markings on 1939 Mauser??

jbesemann

Trying to get more info on the Mauser...was it a military issue etc...think it was made in 1939. Was my Dads and want to display in my office...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4326.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4326.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 77
  • thumbnail_IMG_4327.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4327.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 64
  • thumbnail_IMG_4328.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4328.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 64
  • thumbnail_IMG_4329.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4329.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 53
  • thumbnail_IMG_4330.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4330.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail_IMG_4331.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4331.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 49
It USED to be military issue but has been sporterised post WW2. Made as you guessed, in 1939. At the Burlin Lubeck Maschinenfabrick plant. Betting it shoots great. Make sure it's still 8mm caliber though before shooting. Betting it is.

Yes, it was originally military issue, produced by Berlin-Lubecker in 1939, but it's been heavily sporterized. Stock was cut, sights were changed, etc. Bolt is a mismatch as well.

Not that easy. Front and rear sight assemblies will need switched out.

That's not difficult in your case. That front sight is an old redfield band front sight.
They were made to be soldered on but could also be held in place with a set screw.
A close up photo would show me more detail. When they are soldered on the bluing on
the barrel is discolored requiring rebluing. Your rifle doesn't appear to have been reblued.
Replacing the rear is simple and would cover the screw holes used to hold the sporter
rear sight. If it were mine I would make the necessary restorations to bring this old
war horse back to her former glory.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back