Third Party Press

1925 Warsaw k98 (Need some info before I go and do something stupid)

Ive had this 1925 k98 for years, I have had a smith check the headspace, the bore is good and she shoots great. Numbers are mismatched, the barrel and receiver numbers match but not much else. I was wondering what these are worth in terms of monetary value and if you think it would be a good idea for me to mount a scope to it. It has been sitting in the safe for a while and definitely needs a good cleaning.3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Ive had this 1925 k98 for years, I have had a smith check the headspace, the bore is good and she shoots great. Numbers are mismatched, the barrel and receiver numbers match but not much else. I was wondering what these are worth in terms of monetary value and if you think it would be a good idea for me to mount a scope to it. It has been sitting in the safe for a while and definitely needs a good cleaning.View attachment 239483View attachment 239484View attachment 239485

I can't help you as to value, but I would leave it alone. I wouldn't put a scope on it.

Nice Polish rifles pull large at auction, there is a strong following for quality rifles, - like with German rifles the more problems, the further away from original, the softer this becomes. Adding a scope is probably a bad idea generally, I would maybe go with a mismatcher 98k, though monetarily its probably a wash.

Well, I payed nothing for it. It was in my grandfather's attic for 15 years before I got my hands on it. If it's not worth more than $1k I personally would not feel bad about mounting a scope to it. He got it in lieu of payment and has no sentimental value to myself or the family. If it is worth a significant amount I'd probably sell it to someone who will preserve it and pick up a yugo mauser to play with.

Looks like a fine rifle. Don't mount a scope too it it ruins all value even in a mismatch. people are waking up and starting to see sporterized milsurps as something not to buy. keep it the way it is. It is beautiful

Here's how you can achieve the same results without ruining the rifle by doing something stupid and destructive like assing it up with a scope.

First, unzip your pants, take your wiener out, lay it on the counter, and hit hard several times with a rubber mallet.

Then take 3 or 4 $100 bills out of your wallet, wedge them between your butt cheeks, and set them on fire.

Now, go down to your local biker bar, walk up to the biggest, meanest looking group of guys there, shout "All you Harley riders suck dick!", and kick over all the bikes parked out front.

Well, I payed nothing for it. It was in my grandfather's attic for 15 years before I got my hands on it. If it's not worth more than $1k I personally would not feel bad about mounting a scope to it. He got it in lieu of payment and has no sentimental value to myself or the family. If it is worth a significant amount I'd probably sell it to someone who will preserve it and pick up a yugo mauser to play with.

That's a rather odd outlook to have. If it matters that little to you, why even bother posting about it?

That's a rather odd outlook to have. If it matters that little to you, why even bother posting about it?

Exactly. Just take the hacksaw, Harbor Freight hand grinder (with the coarsest, shitty disc you can find) and be done with it? Maybe some cool Cerakote? Purple digital camo? Put a $29 Chinese optic on it and you've got Facebook gold there.

..why even bother posting about it?

Sometimes it REALLY does seem like a troll. "Let me find the most conservative rifle collecting site and post about assing up a 100 year old rifle"... then act surprised when no one encourages you???

Maybe a slick little Obrez? Or is that last weeks fad?

Last edited:
Exactly. Just take the hacksaw, Harbor Freight hand grinder (with the coarsest, shitty disc you can find) and be done with it? Maybe some cool Cerakote? Purple digital camo? Put a $29 Chinese optic on it and you've got Facebook gold there.

I hear you brother. One thing that always bothered me about Mausers is the 23" barrel when about 17" is still legal. Why carry an extra 6" of useless, heavy steel pipe around?
And don't even get me started on the awkward, heavy stock. The takedown washer hole and the sling cutout are good starting points for using a hole saw to remove unwanted wood, followed by slimming down the entire butt stock with a belt sander, heck, maybe I make it collapsible right at the wrist with a door hinge I have laying around somewhere. I don't trust these tiny screws supposed to firmly attach the scope mounts either, tactically placing several tack welds around them makes for improved stability. I'm also not a big fan of blueing as it has proven to fail over time. I guess I will coat it with Rhinoliner like I did with the bed of my 1953 F100 pickup, the guy living in the trailer next to me says it looks really cool. Well, I gotta go, the kids' camp fire has burned down to the bare steel belts and it's time to have them practice shooting up old TV's.

Stick weld a scope mount on to it, and then list it on gunbroker for $1,000.00 with a listing that says “no low balling, I know what I’ve got.”

I am not wanting to destroy the rifle, more interested in the value. I would sell it to a collector before I tore it up.

I am not wanting to destroy the rifle, more interested in the value. I would sell it to a collector before I tore it up.

Ok that's cool. I'm so sarcastic because I've watched a bunch of guys ask for advice then go the other way regardless. Can I ask what your end goal is? A period looking sniper?

First, i think it was great you asked about the rifle's collector value before you chopped it up. As Loewe said, Polish rifles have come into their own as collectibles. Even though yours is not matching, it does appear to be in original configuration. Value? $500 to $600? Just my thoughts.
If you have no interest in it, sell it on Gunbroker, take the proceeds and buy one of the Savage rifle combo packages, rifle with scope already mounted. You will get an accurate rifle with warranty, have a few bucks left over, and save the $250 you would have spent on gunsmithing and a cheap scope. I have two of the Savage rifles one in .223 and one in .308. Great bargain rifles, and more accurate than most surplus rifles.

Good luck

Ok that's cool. I'm so sarcastic because I've watched a bunch of guys ask for advice then go the other way regardless. Can I ask what your end goal is? A period looking sniper?

Yes, was looking at mounting as close to a period correct scope/mount as possible. Now I'm looking at picking up a yugo mauser to mess around with.

This one is a real treat to shoot. It has a really smooth action and rifling is in great shape. I like the look and feel of the mauser and want something fun to shoot at the range. I own a fair amount of modern bolt actions and this k98 is smoother than my cheaper r700. I also have a weatherby mk v in 300wby, and a howa 308.

Military Rifle Journal
Back