Third Party Press

Unmarked German Bayonet (and two more blades)

Absolut

Friends made me aware of a local guy that was pulling the roof from the house of his grandfather for rebuild, telling me he found WWII items. Called, went there and found out it was three blades. I took them home and first made a few pictures as they are, in fully uncleaned condition. These are the first pictures attached. I identified them as two K98k bayonets of which one is complete with scabbard and frog, additionally a SA dagger.

When checking the K98k bayonets one has manufacturers markings as well as a serial number on it. But of course in need for a good cleaning (which I still need to do). This is the bayonet without anything additional. By just roughly cleaning the area of the manufacturer markings it appears that this blade is WKC marked on one side, plus a serial number on the other side.

The dagger is clearly a SA dagger. The surface has suffered from being stored without a scabbard, but at least untouched. I'll try to clean it as good as possible without damaging the original polish and think the first difference from originally found to wiping it down with oil soaked clothing is visible in the pictures attached.

Then I finally got to look at the complete bayonet. This one appeared to be in nearly mint condition. The blade itself is stone mint and was in grease when I pulled it from the scabbard (and still comes out with partial grease every time I place it inside the scabbard and pull it out again) - some of the grease dried to the blade and is visible in the pictures, I didn't yet gave it a perfect cleaning so note that the blade might appear worse than it really is. Anyway, there is just surface rust on the scabbard as well as the handle of the bayonet. I very roughly cleaned the handle of this bayonet to see if I can find any markings on it, because there simply appeared to be none. Nothing under it. So after a bit scratching my head and asking friends I was recommended to remove the grips. Under the grips I could finally find stamped matching numbers on both grips, as well as twice on the inside of the bayonet: all are marked 81. Additionally the inside has a WaA acceptance (253? Tough to read it).

So far I also couldn't find any markings on the scabbard. But I've not removed it from the frog as the leather is very stiff and I'm afraid I would damage it trying to remove it. Not sure if there is a way to make the leather soft again, or if I should just leave it this way. But I don't have much doubt they belong together since they were stored since WWII this way and seem to match condition.

Please let me know what I don't know on these blades. Especially if the complete bayonet is an early K98k bayonet. What period does it date from, who is the manufacturer, was it issued to Heer or any other unit, also what you guess the approx. value of it would be (no, not looking to sell - but I have no clue on bayonets, so would be happy to learn).

Attachments

• group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 63
  • group2.jpg
    group2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 61
  • bayo2_01.jpg
    bayo2_01.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 50
  • bayo2_02.jpg
    bayo2_02.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 47
  • dagger1.jpg
    dagger1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 41
  • dagger2.jpg
    dagger2.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 51
Decided to put the pics of the complete bayonet in a second post to make it clearer what picture shows what.

Attachments

• bayonet01.jpg
    bayonet01.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 44
  • bayonet02.jpg
    bayonet02.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 42
  • bayonet03.jpg
    bayonet03.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 40
  • bayonet04.jpg
    bayonet04.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 41
  • bayonet05.jpg
    bayonet05.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 33
  • bayonet06.jpg
    bayonet06.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 36
  • bayonet07.jpg
    bayonet07.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 33
  • bayonet08.jpg
    bayonet08.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 43
  • bayonet09.jpg
    bayonet09.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 43
Interesting that there appears to be no waffenampts on the prommel .
It failed inspection for some reason.?? �� Can you take a close up
of the prommel left side? There is one waffenampt that I see next to
The number 2 under the grip panel. Can't read the inspectors number
though.

The first one bayonet S84/98 is a WKC prewar production, with rusted blade, the date should be on spine of blade near crossguard, the second one is a Behoerden modell, wout marking, used on WaA253 blank, so maker is Solingen are 1935-40 from the overall design i would tend to 1937/8 period,as already answered on german forum. The lack of end WaA253 on pommel and other parts means is not Heer or Wehrmacht accepted piece. The dress frog on it is of lower quality. It could be a export piece bayonet that was diverted to a inner germany NS organisation, plant security piece, or rejected piece of Army contract. Both metall parts should be oiled to stop rust.

Last edited:
Bayonets

2nd unmarked example is "Narrow Pattern" example - my favorite 3rd model.

The blade width could be measured, when 25mm should be normal S84/98. In Germany SW mentioned the frog could be proper one for Werkschutz or similar units, i dont known its a kunstleder or not, its damaged on surface lack.

Is the SA dagger made by Artur Schuttelhofer & Co, Solingen - Wald? Are they rare? I'll be honest I never heard of that manufacturer.

Would this be the same type piece? http://www.dg.de/en/militaria/edgedweapons/sa-dagger/sa-dagger-rzm-m7-13-1914

Yes same manufacturer. I see more HJ knives from Schuttelhofer - RZM M7/13 than any other company. Not sure on the rarity of the SA dagger, not my area right now. I know there is a McSARR scale for the rarity of SA daggers. I had a link but lost it during a pc change. I will see if I can relocate it.

Last edited:
Yes same manufacturer. I see more HJ knives from Schuttelhofer - RZM M7/13 than any other company. Not sure on the rarity of the SA dagger, not my area right now. I know there is a McSARR scale for the rarity of SA daggers. I had a link but lost it during a pc change. I will see if I can relocate it.

Yes, the most common maker of HJ Fahrtenmesser, especially the later RZM only marked pieces.

The blade width could be measured, when 25mm should be normal S84/98. In Germany SW mentioned the frog could be proper one for Werkschutz or similar units, i dont known its a kunstleder or not, its damaged on surface lack.

Measured at 25mm total height. Leather is leather, not Kunstleder. Dried from the former centuries, so might look odd.

Any method to make the leather smooth again?

You could proof a leatherwax or something else like lanolin for reviving, anyway on part of leather is the lack removed by wrong storage? very similar as is the paint on kunstleder, the piece is normal S84/98 out of Wehrmacht contract used as Behoerden or blanko piece.

If you put lanolin on the leather, it will make it softer.Just be aware that any stampings/maker marks may eventually go away and leather will darken. I started putting all natural lanolin on my frogs about eight or so years ago. I was very happy with the softening, especially on the really dried out frogs. Since the lanolin is natural it won`t break the cells down in the leather like the leather treatments with chemicals in them will. I pulled out a frog the other day that I had applied lanolin to, I believe it was the first one I did, and I saw that the stampings were almost gone. I went back in my pics, as I always take pics when I first receive an item, and sure enough the maker mark was easy to see in the pic. I then took a look at the rest of my frogs. The leather had absorbed the lanolin on most of them enough to push any stampings out. I had put just enough lanolin on for a good covering, rubbing it in and had only applied lanolin the one time. I guess it is a trade off, lose the stamping,keep the frog or don`t do anything and lose all.

You could proof a leatherwax or something else like lanolin for reviving, anyway on part of leather is the lack removed by wrong storage? very similar as is the paint on kunstleder, the piece is normal S84/98 out of Wehrmacht contract used as Behoerden or blanko piece.

Dry as desert, then rub metal over leather this dry and you'll easily get rid of the original surface...

The lack is clearly removed in area of stiching of backside, there should be not any touching with metall. In war period were used many substitutes of good leather, anyway You have in hand so now its better as on these pictures.

Military Rifle Journal
Back