Third Party Press

CE43 Kar98k - Good find or turd?

Hey guys, picked up a kar98k off Gunbroker a while back. It's not matching, but ostensibly, the finish seemed in great condition and it's not an RC or import-marked, so I figured there likely wasn't anything to complain about. Once i got it though, i noticed that the stock is more than likely sanded and refinished, and the receiver, while nice and glossy, has a strange texture almost like light machining marks. Does anyone recognize them? Are they signs of a non-professional rework? Pics below. It's 2nd from the bottom in the lineup.

BqDHV6h.jpg

7uBvl9h.jpg

dZmZ2et.jpg

y4RTFxh.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fine.. JP Sauer continued to add a buffed type blued finish to receivers even long after even Mauser stopped.

Beautiful rifle. I picked up a CE code several years ago but it's in pretty rough shape.

I don't see any issues either. I think what you're referring to is the tooling marks from the beginnings of the downgrading of finish quality that would get really bad in the last months and year of the war. Looks like a decent example but further photos would help.

The only thing I noticed is that, in picture 3, the recoil lug below the serial number seems to have been blued (not original, imho). More pics would help indeed.

..in picture 3, the recoil lug below the serial number seems to have been blued (not original, imho). More pics would help indeed.

Agreed. I'd add the lumber looks a little light in that area too. Should be a bit prouder and have a sharp/er edge around the hole.

I was answering about the machine marks on the receiver btw.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back