Third Party Press

CYQ (cvq) P-38, a prefix 9016

Herk1994

Hello All,

Picked this up a few months back at a show. Cvq slide, cyq frame marked late war P-38, matching numbers, a prefix 9016. I got it for $950. The WaA 88 on the right side of the slide peaked my attention more than anything, the 88 seems too large. The finish also peaked my curiosity, refinished or original? I'm just not in a place yet to know, but I feel I did at least decent on the price for a nice P-38 in any case. Also, the rear sight seems to be bent, you can clearly tell by looking at this. I can't get it to sit level, but again, not a deal breaker for the price, to me at least.

Herk

IMG_3006.jpg
IMG_3007.jpg
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3012.jpg

Last edited:
Let’s see the locking block and springs and such, could be a dipped pistol from the Russian imported ones by FGS, lots were not import marked. I recently bought the exact same thing and mines original finish. It was a fair price for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold mine in fantastic shape a few months back for around the same price shipped. Saw a very similar one of gunbroker sell for $1300 so definitely gave the buyer a deal. The “F” looks to have no red paint on it, is the S white? No paint isn’t a guarantee it was a re-blue but could certainly be a tell tale sign.

Let’s see the locking block and springs and such, could be a dipped pistol from the Russian imported ones by FGS, lots were not import marked. I recently bought the exact same thing and mines original finish. It was a fair price for it.

Here they are,

37D86BA0-A9C0-442D-A40E-72185A04F4C4.jpg
9666C52C-B04C-4F36-985C-6920BA0AD984.jpg

Sold mine in fantastic shape a few months back for around the same price shipped. Saw a very similar one of gunbroker sell for $1300 so definitely gave the buyer a deal. The “F” looks to have no red paint on it, is the S white? No paint isn’t a guarantee it was a re-blue but could certainly be a tell tale sign.

No paint at all on safety markings

With no paint on the F & S and the blued locking block she’s been dipped

With no paint on the F & S and the blued locking block she’s been dipped

Very interesting, I’ve never even heard of dip blueing before. Did they do that to universally every p38 they captured?

Last edited:
Not every, the fact that there’s not xxx’s on the serial number would lead to to guess it’s not necessarily even a RC. I’ve had shooter P.38’s that we’re re-blued by Bubba back state side to make them look prettier...

Not every, the fact that there’s not xxx’s on the serial number would lead to to guess it’s not necessarily even a RC. I’ve had shooter P.38’s that we’re re-blued by Bubba back state side to make them look prettier...

I'd rather have an RC haha

How positive are you of a re blue? And if so, I'd say the price was too high myself.

I'd rather have an RC haha

How positive are you of a re blue? And if so, I'd say the price was too high myself.

It’s not a bad re-blue, I had one that was a real bad reblued job for a shooter. I can unfortunately say with 100% certainty it’s a re-blue :/

It’s not a bad re-blue, I had one that was a real bad reblued job for a shooter. I can unfortunately say with 100% certainty it’s a re-blue :/

I won't have to feel bad about shooting it in that case! How's the price for a shooter?

Your getting some incorrect info here. The number under the grip is a production tracking number. The pistol isn’t reblued, and fyi cyq pistols have blued locking blocks. But, look at the pin that holds the locking block in, if it’s got a black finish it’s dipped. The Russians sprayed the guns with some kind of brownish/black spray over the original blue, it comes off leaving the original blue which comes out real shiny like yours. Someone removed the Russian dip on most of it and did a good job imo. It’s a keeper.

Yes, dipped ex Ukrainian import with no X or import mark. Someone spent time properly removing the dip but that pin can’t be removed. These are almost a subset to collect themselves. Personally I wouldn’t consider it a shooter, break the slide which is common on original guns and you then have a shooter.

Your getting some incorrect info here. The number under the grip is a production tracking number. The pistol isn’t reblued, and fyi cyq pistols have blued locking blocks. But, look at the pin that holds the locking block in, if it’s got a black finish it’s dipped. The Russians sprayed the guns with some kind of brownish/black spray over the original blue, it comes off leaving the original blue which comes out real shiny like yours. Someone removed the Russian dip on most of it and did a good job imo. It’s a keeper.

No problem,

Here’s the locking block pin and a couple more pics with flash for better lighting and color,

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I like it myself. Here is an a prefix original finish.

7f8d65d98ee1c556eece1f1b517d608b.jpg

I like it myself.

Me too, very nice! I can see they left the block in the white. I have a 1976 Bundeswehr marked P1 from that I will enjoy at the range in place of this, not that I don't baby my P1 too.

On the topic of the odd bend in the rear sight, should I just leave it alone?

Last edited:
Actually the block itself is blued, just the very end is white as that was the part of the block filed/ground for fitting. On the sight, you might buy another and swap it out if it bothers you. Maybe you just need to dissemble it and reinstall it, maybe it’s not assembled right. It takes some doing to learn to take the slide apart.

Actually the block itself is blued, just the very end is white as that was the part of the block filed/ground for fitting. On the sight, you might buy another and swap it out if it bothers you. Maybe you just need to dissemble it and reinstall it, maybe it’s not assembled right. It takes some doing to learn to take the slide apart.

Ahhh, I see that now. I was focused on the bottom of the block itself.

I have before, I will try again tomorrow and see if I can get it to come down. I may order a new spring for the rear sight and put the old one away.

Military Rifle Journal
Back