Third Party Press

k98 erma GI bringback with star on buttstock

Absent documentation? It’s a beat up and mismatched rifle with a star carved into the stock. We can speculate for ages and pretend that it’s some communist partisan rebuild, but that’s just a hope not based on much. Who knows what it is.

I doubt its a sporter rescue by the looks of it. If you take the wood off and the wear under the handguard and stock does not match the exposed metal, or it does match that will be a big tell. It looks like an old import I once had., it was heavily worn from post war use. Take it apart and take more pictures. and include the repair you mention.

mystery solved

still excited

this thing was captured and thrown together during the war by someone, someone who carved a star in the stock, someone who has gewer 98 parts handy (trigger guard)

someone properly stamped the gewer 98 triggerguard to match receiver, looks original but I can see faint old #

it was stored in a pile, never shot or cleaned, or even stored at all, just sitting somewhere (deep rust on barrel)

it was imported from Germany (cleaned it and found GERMANY stamped on barrel)

came to the US in the 80's

sat somewhere, never cleaned, never shot (barrel has bulge)

I bought it

cleaned it

now I am going to put a fancy barrel on it, age it a bit to match

have the bolt gone though

leaving the same matching dark patina on everything

then

I am going to slowly find all of the "correct" parts so someday it can be correct

I am going to leave it all partisan like I got it for now but completely accessorized, I wanted a shooter

rat rod k98 - as captured visually but with a tricked out motor under the hood

the way the prices are going up I want to have all of the correct parts so someday it can be restored fully as issued

history intact

functionality there,

restoration at some point

thanks for guiding me, it really helped

I doubt its a sporter rescue by the looks of it. If you take the wood off and the wear under the handguard and stock does not match the exposed metal, or it does match that will be a big tell. It looks like an old import I once had., it was heavily worn from post war use. Take it apart and take more pictures. and include the repair you mention.

I did, absolutely no rust where it was covered and rust where it was exposed

unbelievable amounts of crap and dirt in stock, old rubbery grease

I got some good photos, have to resize to post

I degreased stock, has a repair right in front of sling band, different wood, light

I researched it, found a "GERMANY" under the rust where import mark is,

found old company online

they imported from Germany

this thing has never been touched

it was so cool taking it apart

the most interesting thing is the gewer 98 triggerguard that was stamped with the serial # just like the others, same font, I can barely see an old # under it,

Absent documentation? It’s a beat up and mismatched rifle with a star carved into the stock. We can speculate for ages and pretend that it’s some communist partisan rebuild, but that’s just a hope not based on much. Who knows what it is.

HA, I found the importer, they did import partisan rifles, in the 80's

the stamp was under so much rust I never saw it

just a "GERMANY" and some odd abbreviations, found it on a search though

looked up countries history

beat up? this thing is sexy and has a soul

I love it now

I needed something to reach out far, I was just about to drop 2k on a 338 Lapua

I am not a collector anymore, I had every gun in the 90's

watched them slowly rust and dust, or they were all sudden deemed illegal

I am putting a nightforce scope on it, this k98 is so much lighter than my Garand and no4 mk1, than my Israeli fnfal, my stg 56, or my type 99 7.7 with no available ammo

and the best part is the bayonet lug, all the guns in CA can't have them, and they don't have a metal buttplate

all that pugil stick training is still in my head

I say the k98 is a complete weapon for all uses

and it's LEGAL

I sold all of my registered assault weapons out of state and notified DOJ

k98 for life!

now to get the right armorer to get thing tuned up

this gun is no trailer queen

it will have another life....but rather than oppression, it will ensure freedom !

Semper Fi !

HA, I found the importer, they did import partisan rifles, in the 80's

the stamp was under so much rust I never saw it

just a "GERMANY" and some odd abbreviations, found it on a search though

looked up countries history

beat up? this thing is sexy and has a soul

whoever put it together bothered to re-stamp the parts to match, that's why I got excited

the star matches the examples exactly that I found online

I get to have all the fantasies I like, I am not selling it, not trying to be a gun snob

I love it now

I needed something to reach out far, I was just about to drop 2k on a 338 Lapua

I am not a collector anymore, I had every gun in the 90's

watched them slowly rust and dust, or they were all sudden deemed illegal

I am putting a nightforce scope on it, this k98 is so much lighter than my Garand and no4 mk1, than my Israeli fnfal, my stg 56, or my type 99 7.7 with no available ammo, better than my m249 that I can't get a belt through without jamming, better than my m60, same issue. only thing that was close was the m14, but that this is too long and can't have high caps out here, gone

I had a pile of Mausers that I never shot, Carl Gustaff, Chang kai Chek, Russian rework,

I chucked them all along with those brand new Russian sks's with the blade bayo for $100 and all the Nagants

they never held my interest for some reason (adhd if you didn't notice)

sorry, I am reminiscing - I used to buy a gun a week back then,

the best part is the bayonet lug, all the guns in CA can't have them, and they don't have a metal buttplate

all that pugil stick training is still in my head

I say the k98 is a complete weapon for all missions

and it's LEGAL

I sold all of my registered assault weapons out of state and notified DOJ (you have to fill out a form) fyi

k98 for life!

now to get the right armorer to get thing tuned up

this gun is no trailer queen

it will have another life....but rather than oppression, it will ensure freedom !

this forum is the greatest I swear

Semper Fi !

You can't really call it a "partisan" rifle with any certainty. Many east block countries used the K98k for years after the war. I have seen soldier art work on k98's 91/30's, and even an M1 Garand that served in other militaries other then their "original" country. The rifle for sure has seen heavy use and more then likely most of it post war. It it were mine I would leave it and find a more suitable shooter like a post war yugo that seem to go cheap.

Military Rifle Journal
Back