Third Party Press

Help With Erma K98 .22 cal. Conversion Kit

sendin007

Hi,
I am a new forum member and have a question around a recently acquired Erma K98 .22 cal. Conversion Set. Has anyone seen these kits with just 1 magazine for .22 cal.? Mine is mint, unused with the correct fitted wooden box but it only has a recess for the one magazine. All the ones I see listed so far have 2 magazines. Is this a special set or could they be ordered with only one magazine from Erma? Has anyone seen these before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Attachments

• K981.jpg
    K981.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 55
  • K982.jpg
    K982.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 66
  • K983.jpg
    K983.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 52
  • K984.jpg
    K984.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 54
  • K985.jpg
    K985.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I would need to see photos. they made one with no mags. single shot so possibly one with one mag ? I cant say I've never seen one up to this point. Photos will help

* I don't remember seeing a SEL24mM box having only one mag slot.
* I think the box was made after WW2. Hinges are modern & it appears a different wood was used IMO. Might explain why only one mag retention cut-out was routed.
* Nice looking unit. They are a pleasure to use and surprisingly accurate.
Bob

Interesting. Id look at other examples shown here. Typically all the period Erma boxes ive seen are marked on the short ends. Waffenamts and ERMA stamped on the ends.

I will never say never before I know all the box internally looks like it was done like originals Ive seen. I no longer own one so I have nothing to look at myself.

Thanks. There are no markings anywhere on the box. The inletting of the box is done correctly when comparing to other pics I've seen of the conversion sets. This set is absolutely mint and I'm sure unissued since there are no marks what so ever in the bluing. Everything that is serial numbered all match and the parts that have a date stamp on them are matching 1937. All inspection markings are where they show up on other sets. Hopefully someone has seen a set like this in the past.

IMO The box is recently made. Wood is likely stained pine. Originals were european beech. Wood has no oxidation or handling mark's. Hinges seem to be current hardware. If we could get a good picture of the latch hooks that would help determine if the hardware is like that on known original boxes. I think it is a nice box done by a skilled woodworker. Built with only one mag slot because it was missing as so many are in loose sets? But I have been wrong before.....

FYI I posted pictures last hear of a replica box that I built. Not that hard to make.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate any help from folks knowledgeable on these .22 cal sets. I have attached a few more pics of the box. I am planning on listing it for sale and want to have a fair description of it. If box is post war it appears to have been crafted very well. It is a very nice presentation for the mint condition conversion kit it holds. Regards.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 21
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 20
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 26
  • box4.jpg
    box4.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 21
  • box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 17
The hook looks like the same profile as modern hardware and are virtually identical to Chinese made hardware I purchased recently from Amazon. The eye also seems current. Original German hooks were round iron or steel rather than flat stock and had a pointed hook. The one in your picture looks to be brass but probably brass plated steel. Check with a magnet. If brass plated steel and in that profile would indicate to me that this is recent construction.

Thanks so much for your help! I will be sure to note that in the listing. I'm pretty sure now that it is a post war box for the kit after what I am hearing. Best regards.

The hook looks like the same profile as modern hardware and are virtually identical to Chinese made hardware I purchased recently from Amazon. The eye also seems current. Original German hooks were round iron or steel rather than flat stock and had a pointed hook. The one in your picture looks to be brass but probably brass plated steel. Check with a magnet. If brass plated steel and in that profile would indicate to me that this is recent construction.

The box also failed to include the protective insert in the breech when cleaning the bore shown in this image.

Attachments

• IMG1817-L.jpg
    IMG1817-L.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks, I see that! Appears it was a partial set that had a box made at some later date to only hold the parts at hand.

The kit that Joe has is an early kit and those did include the cleaning aid. Later kits did not come with this insert.

Attachments

• DSCF4015.jpg
    DSCF4015.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 14

Military Rifle Journal
Back