Third Party Press

Authentic? Kar98k DOT 1943

as others have noted this is a east german re-work with MDI stamp, MDi marked east german demands slightly in price more because it denotes non -military more state security and /or police battalions

the east germans reverted to the pre-war proof marks similar to WW1 & inter war proofs. Suhl/ krieghof facilities 1950 to 1960-62 period

not sure how I missed this rife post

Hi
MdI means "Ministerium des Inneren" in the GDR.
All "Volkspolizei" (police) and "Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse" (combat groups of the working class) units were subordinate to the Interior Ministry of the GDR (MdI).
Regards

I really get a kick out of the floorplate. I've never seen numbers cancelled out with a grinder or file before, crude yes, but it gets the point across. I really like this rifle, always hoped to find one, but never did.:happy0180:

Hi
MdI means "Ministerium des Inneren" in the GDR.
All "Volkspolizei" (police) and "Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse" (combat groups of the working class) units were subordinate to the Interior Ministry of the GDR (MdI).
Regards

Thank you for spending the time to add this. I find I barley have time to evaluate the rifle then to go through the history of the East German security service's

yes to the OP , I collect east german firearms and I re-build them, this is a good catch but only to those interested in East German firearms. The only bad catches are the rifles & pistols with defaced EG police proofs, (which I see all the time) for me.

I saw a EG Luger up for sale on GB last week price was fair but someone refinished it and it was not the East Germans

two weeks ago there was a Czech re-built P-38 up for sale, not only where the EG proof's defaced but so where the Czech lions, yes i know they are east german but not worth my time as there are better surprises to come they always do.

so here are two examples of bad GB purchases, by others

this is why I harp all the time about bidding on items on GB without the proper research and back ground

Thanks men! I am a miltary history super freak...The more I am hearing about this old girl, the more it grows on me. It tells a long story documented on the rifle. That is cool stuff. Thanks again..

More barrel markings under stock.

Just did a full dismantle and clean of my rifle.
You can see the barrel marking fully and there are additional markings that were under the stock. Interesting....

Attachments

• 20200628_201858.jpg
    20200628_201858.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200628_201850.jpg
    20200628_201850.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200628_201913.jpg
    20200628_201913.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi im also new on this forum. Great info here around the proof marks thanks everyone for sharing. I was looking at the pictures and i was wondering if someone could explain why the 1895 we see in many pictures?

Thanks

Hi im also new on this forum. Great info here around the proof marks thanks everyone for sharing. I was looking at the pictures and i was wondering if someone could explain why the 1895 we see in many pictures?

Welcome! That's an easy one. In this case the 1895 is nothing more than a serial number between 1-9999 (in most cases). The German's LOVED numbering so early rifles had literally every part numbered but later they numbered less and less parts. Some parts were full serial plus suffix, some full serial and some the last 2 digits.

It shows which parts are original to the gun from the manufacturer. If a diffrent number is on a particular part, it shows it was a replacement part (Not Original).

Welcome! That's an easy one. In this case the 1895 is nothing more than a serial number between 1-9999 (in most cases). The German's LOVED numbering so early rifles had literally every part numbered but later they numbered less and less parts. Some parts were full serial plus suffix, some full serial and some the last 2 digits.

Its what i was thinking but a four digit serial number similar to a year threw me off! Thanks for the answer

Back that up with a GO as well, just to cover your butt. I’m excited that you’re satisfied with the rifle. Super cool piece.

Thanks!
Yea I wanted a good shooter for my first Kar98k. wanted to have some real fun with the first one. Next one will be the conversation piece (Gun Safe Queen).

Military Rifle Journal
Back