Third Party Press

Czech Vz24 with WaA

Being marked that way post-war definitely makes more sense to me than anything else, but I'm going off of Anthony Vanderlinden's FN book, in which he explicitly mentions that the stamp was not used post-war. The stamp is not of an arrow, but the noted 'Perron,' a tower like monument in Liege. It was stamped horizontally on other rifles, too.

Here's the run-down on the stamp: It was used as an intermediate proof on the barrel in the barrel proofing process, but was eliminated on the barrel in 1919. On receivers and bolts, it indicates the final proof. "The Perron proof was eliminated from the bolt after World War II, giving a clear indicator if a bolt was made pre- or postwar."

Having Czechoslovak inspection and acceptance stamps and Perron stamps on both the receiver and bolt certainly suggests post-war application of the stamp on a rifle left in Belgium or imported there after the war. Vanderlinden has had access to former FN employees and their records for many years, so this one begs some questions. In any case, that is a nice looking rifle! :thumbsup:

Pat

Last edited:
Hello Stan and Pat,

Now I’m in. Indeed after inspection it seems a Perron stamp.
Never put attention on that stamp on my plenty other Belgian guns.
It makes sense.

Here is the other missing picture sorry for that 😇

Attachments

• BA8F8E08-CAD5-49D9-9223-76859471BAF7.jpg
    BA8F8E08-CAD5-49D9-9223-76859471BAF7.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 16
Hello Stan and Pat,

Now I’m in. Indeed after inspection it seems a Perron stamp.
Never put attention on that stamp on my plenty other Belgian guns.
It makes sense.

Here is the other missing picture sorry for that 😇

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe those are post-war markings. It would make sense with the rest of what we're seeing on this rifle.

Possible VanderLinden could be wrong in his book, as the fireproof could be used to sample to beginn of 1946, when someone would similar rifle to made a civilian weapon from army gun, they send it to Liege proof control.

Andy,
I think you're correct. The immediate post-war period would seem a logical point to adopt either new practices, or reinstate existing ones that had been interrupted in 1940.

Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back