Third Party Press

G.40k

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Thanks to Simson for these pics. Not mine, I wish it was! I think this is at the Aberdeen museum?

Attachments

• G40k_full_length.jpg
    G40k_full_length.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 683
  • G40k_siderail.jpg
    G40k_siderail.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 523
  • G40k_bridge_and_bolt_.jpg
    G40k_bridge_and_bolt_.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 483
  • G40k_firing_proof_detail_.jpg
    G40k_firing_proof_detail_.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 492
  • G40k_Muzzle_.jpg
    G40k_Muzzle_.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 466
  • G40k_on_siderail.jpg
    G40k_on_siderail.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 449
  • G40k_rear_sight_.jpg
    G40k_rear_sight_.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 388
  • G40k_receiver_crest.jpg
    G40k_receiver_crest.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 436
  • G40k_Side_swivel_detail.jpg
    G40k_Side_swivel_detail.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 388
  • G40k_stock_No_81.jpg
    G40k_stock_No_81.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 349
More pics of G.40k

Attachments

• G40k_WaA655-on_TG_.jpg
    G40k_WaA655-on_TG_.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 236
  • G40K-muzzle_and_hood_slot_.jpg
    G40K-muzzle_and_hood_slot_.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 185
G40k

I will talk to Brian and see if he can check at Aberdeen and see if the gun is still there.
Some rumours circulated awile back that this rifle was no longer at the museum.

These pics were done by John Wall in July 2004 (US Army TRADOC Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland), and the rifle was veiwed even earlier by Ken Huddle (he did a datasheet in the KCN for it); I too have heard it is missing, and possibly destroyed.

What a shame, but at least JW was able to do a good spread on the rifle in 2004.

I will talk to Brian and see if he can check at Aberdeen and see if the gun is still there.
Some rumours circulated awile back that this rifle was no longer at the museum.

Many thanks and big credits to John Wall. He's signed on here as a member.

Simson, if that G.40k was destroyed I'm pretty much left speechless. I would guess pilfered is more like it, or would even hope for pilfered over destroyed.

I do not know for sure, - hopefully it is just misplaced or someone is misinformed. Page 44 of DM suggests the rifle is missing or destroyed, other have mentioned it to me also but I am not sure if it is just repeating what DarrinW wrote or are knowledgeable on the subject? He uses Ken Huddle's pictures so perhaps the information pre-dates John Wall's visit and the rifle is there.

We were lucky John took the pictures, as it was not his interest as he doesn't collect nazi era rifles, and it was only by chance these were taken. I believe he was there to see some of the other unique rifles held there.

Many thanks and big credits to John Wall. He's signed on here as a member.

Simson, if that G.40k was destroyed I'm pretty much left speechless. I would guess pilfered is more like it, or would even hope for pilfered over destroyed.

Sorry for the quality of the picture. This was taken in the back room at Aberdeen in 1992.
Any recent updates as to the rifle's whereabouts?

attachment.php

Attachments

• G40-k.jpg
    G40-k.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
i was at aberdeen 2 years ago and a lot of tanks were not there since my previous visit in 1994. i was looking for the panzers 1,11,111,1v,panther,tiger, king tiger and 88mm flack gun. the tiger,king tiger,88 gun and panzer 1 were not there as i recall. i asked the curator and he said they were either on loan or getting a facelift as they are left out in the weather. maybe similar with the small arms being on loan.

John Wall photographed the rifle in July 2004, so it was there then. Ken Huddle-Darrin Weaver in Desperate Measures seemed to imply it was missing, though I have not spoken with Ken about it. I will ask him and see if he knows.

Does anyone know if the one Bob Jensen mentioned in an Illinois collection exists? (Present Arms 1987) It would be the only one in private hands.

Thanks for the bump, I guess my ignorance is shining bright but I've never even heard of one..I would have called fake if I saw one at a gunshow!

I talked to Ken once about this gun. My memory (which is flawed as hell) is that he believed it had been sent to Anniston for....umm....the reason guns go to Anniston. I don't know where he heard that, so don't count it as gospel. I'll speak to him soon and see how bad my memory is. Let's hope that it's awful.

Military Rifle Journal
Back