Third Party Press

Schutztruppen portrait photo

Warrior1354

ax - hole
This fine photo came in today very happy with my purchase. Probably the most expensive picture in my collection but will worth the funds spent to acquire it. I believe this is the name of the gentleman on the back of the photo as well. Hopefully others can chime in. On a side note this new computer makes cropping photos a lot better!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Colonial soldier.jpg
    Colonial soldier.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Back side of Colonial picture.jpg
    Back side of Colonial picture.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 48
I have seen this photo before. "This is a posed studio photograph taken in Germany in 1904 or 1905. It shows an unknown Schutztruppe Reiter shortly before his departure for South West Africa.

He wears the Schutztruppe Südwester Hat in grey felt, with blue hatband and edging for South West Africa, pinned up on the right hand side with a large imperial cockade (see right). His tunic is the 1900 Kord Litewka, with concealed buttons on the front and pockets and shoulder straps of white twisted cord with threads in red and black. He wears aiguillette twisted black/white/red cords across his left breast. These were usually only worn on parade.

He carries the Mounted Equipment and Ammunition Pouches exclusive to the Schutztruppe in brown leather with matching riding boots and stirrups. His company coloured bayonet knot can been seen at his left side. He carries his rifle with the bayonet fixed and has binoculars around his neck.

This combination of uniform and equipment were probably only seen together for a studio photograph. Aiguillette cords were not usually worn in action, while binoculars were not often worn on parade."

Last edited:
I wonder if this picture was showed before from the collector who sold it on ebay a few weeks ago. Is it possible that is the name of the soldier on the back of it? If so could that information be found? The more data and info the better. Michael I may have some more info coming in on the Schutztruppen soon. Any info I find I will pass along to you for your project. As of now I'm trying to find out as much as I can on Navy contract Gew98 rifles right now.

I wonder if this picture was showed before from the collector who sold it on ebay a few weeks ago. Is it possible that is the name of the soldier on the back of it? If so could that information be found? The more data and info the better. Michael I may have some more info coming in on the Schutztruppen soon. Any info I find I will pass along to you for your project. As of now I'm trying to find out as much as I can on Navy contract Gew98 rifles right now.

I don't really know about The photo been shown before it was sold but they're probably could be multiple copies of the photo. Which wouldn't surprise me if there was multiple copies of one picture. Here's a screenshot I took of the picture I saw on a website. I'm invested pretty heavily in researching the firearms used by the Schutztruppen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200624-085710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200624-085710_Chrome.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back