Third Party Press

Interwar Steyr M.1912 German 08 reworked

Absolut

The attached shown Steyr M.1912 pistol has at least four interesting details to point out:
1. The parts were originally manufactured in 1919, so post WWI. Many of these ended up in Czech hands - this one didn't. It wasn't finished and therefore also not proofed in 1919.
2. This particular pistol was made by Steyr in 1935 per an order of the Austrian Police for a total of 1000 guns. The serial numbers were started at 1000, leftover parts were used. The serial number was followed by a very small Steyr logo. It is not known but believed that the order was never fullfilled an less guns than ordered were made.
3. After Austria became Part of Germany this pistol was 08 reworked, meaning the caliber was changed from 9mm Steyr to 9mm Luger. From this period this pistol has both the German firing proof, as well as the Eagle L Police acceptance stamp on the right side of the receiver.
4. Post WWII this pistol came into Police possession a third time. This is noticeable by the LGK NÖ (LandesGendarmerieKommando Niederösterreich) stamp on bottom swivel on the right side. Interestingly the other three pistols with the identical above history of them also have the LGK NÖ stamp on them. It would make one assume these pistols might had been in service with the Police in Niederösterreich already from 1935 on, and their service continued post WWII.

It is refinished, most possibly by the Police post WWII. This was a common practice and part of its history. The only one I am aware of that wasn't reworked is so heavily rust pitted that they surely must had decided to sell it because if someone wanted to refinish it, no markings would had been left. The picture also shows a lot of oil on it, visible by the miscolorations. Also the yellow reflections were due to the background when taking these pictures.

Finally, a detail I wanted to point out: the swivel on bottom on the left side has the pistols serial number on it. This is supposed to be the Police Inventory number from post WWII service. Note the different font. I have never before seen a "matching number" on this place, but I assume this is because with many others they rebuilt the guns so often that parts got mixed up and this one must had kept its original matching swivel.

Attachments

• Germany1.jpg
    Germany1.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Germany2.jpg
    Germany2.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for posting.. happens to be one of my favorites for no reason at all. Personal preference. I have owned a few over the years and was able to get one back in a trade one of the few I have kept.

This one definitely has had a very long run. Police pistols don't get used much but carried daily in most cases.

I have one with bring back papers and it’s an 08 conversion but not police marked. One of the coolest looking pistols around from that era, and one of my favorites too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally, a detail I wanted to point out: the swivel on bottom on the left side has the pistols serial number on it. This is supposed to be the Police Inventory number from post WWII service. Note the different font. I have never before seen a "matching number" on this place, but I assume this is because with many others they rebuilt the guns so often that parts got mixed up and this one must had kept its original matching swivel.

After having re-read the book of Mötz and Schuy on the Austrian Handguns I found it funny that in particular referring to these pistols they mention that the only pistol they are aware of that has a Police marked swivel with number matching to the gun is one of those. Well, now there is a second one - and also of the same series.

Seems like they were rebuild that often that the originally matching part got mixed and now there are only two known that still have the matching swivel.

steyr

to keep this thread going a bit I stumbled upon this auction a month or so back. Now that its over and this pistol did very well even though its hard to say really what it is..
Reworked obviously but, it doesn't follow typical patterns. But, it is a 1912 reworked. Blank slide maybe never dated ? 08 marked police E/F Serial range seems odd and the added # on the bottom of the magazine.

Attachments

• steyr 08.jpg
    steyr 08.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 20
  • steyr 08-2.jpg
    steyr 08-2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 17
  • steyr o8.jpg
    steyr o8.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 18
The font on the slide for the serial is different from the serial on the frame. It would need to be identical if it were original. I guess someone found an original frame which had the proper German markings, but the slide ... this one therefore had the 08 markings added and the slide was force matched.

The serial on bottom of the pistol grip looks legit. If I was to guess a post WWI Czech refurb that fell into German hands when they occupied Czech Republic.

Military Rifle Journal
Back