Third Party Press

A few goodies

daltrey99

So today I went to visit one of the guys that I worked with on the railroad. He has been retired for a few years now. As we were talking about the good old days, he said "i'll be right back". He came back with a small box and told me that he wanted me to have something. This box was full of stuff that his uncle brought home from his time in Germany while in the Army from 1943 to 1951. I told him that it was too much to take this stuff and tried to give him money for it but he wouldnt take it. I asked why no one in the family wanted it and he said no one had any interest in it.

I feel very blessed to have these personal souvenirs from World War 2. While going through the box we found a bill of sale from 1946 for a Walther p38. I asked what happened to that and he said that is cousin still has it. I told him if he ever wants to sell it, I know a bunch of other P38's that would love to have their brother back in the family. I also need to mention that a few years ago I was also given an M35 helmet that also belonged to his uncle and was brought back from the war. Although I dont have a personal connection directly to all of these things, I would never consider selling anything as I am very touched that they were given to me and I was thought of to have them offered to me.

If anyone wants to see any other pictures of the items, I can take some more photos when I have a chance. IMG_20200624_215058614.jpg

Wonder how that panzer assault badge got broken in half. I like the 10th Armor embroidered wool patch too. That was very kind of your friend to give this lot to you.

I really like little vet lots like this. Some of the variety of stuff they grabbed astounds me.. It must have been such a free for all after the war ended..

That's a Kubel or Schwimm ignition key! Maybe the vet had a beater to run around in during occupation and took the key home!

Wonder how that panzer assault badge got broken in half. I like the 10th Armor embroidered wool patch too. That was very kind of your friend to give this lot to you.

I was watching a video on German medals and it showed infantry assault badges broken in half (the laurel). Was a symbol of sticking up for comrades in doomed conflicted, wonder if this is same thing. 20:10 on video

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYf_mxfe5x4

Wow that’s some great stuff. Hard to understand how people have no interest in history. I guess that’s the reason the world makes the same mistakes again and again.

Wow that’s some great stuff. Hard to understand how people have no interest in history. I guess that’s the reason the world makes the same mistakes again and again.

Thanks. I was absolutely floored when he gave it to me. He told me that he knew that I would appreciate it.

I totally get you. My Mother in Law bought this old hardback Constitution from a yard sale years ago thinking of me. It’s pre civil war 1853. One of my prized possessions.

Attachments

• 1ADCDD55-BBB7-408B-88C4-C05F18B6E3AB.jpg
    1ADCDD55-BBB7-408B-88C4-C05F18B6E3AB.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 140B556A-2710-424F-ADBA-9C7FB52B0F4F.jpg
    140B556A-2710-424F-ADBA-9C7FB52B0F4F.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 22
What is the medal that looks kind of like a Wounds Badge, with the helmet on it?
A guess on the badge in question. It is WWI related. I speculate it is a memorial/veterans badge of sorts. During WWI German POWs were kept at Sutton Bonington Campus (now University of Nottingham). The Old Kingston Association (OKA) is the alumni organisation for former students of Sutton Bonington Campus.
I would think the students and the POWs had contact. It was different back then, the Gentleman code was still practiced. Camaraderie could and did develop.
Just a guess. Maybe a real WWI expert will chime in.

Last edited:
Interesting that the key looks a lot like the key to my 1973 BMW R75/5 And my R60/2...the Germans sometimes seem slow on the technology front!

A guess on the badge in question. It is WWI related. I speculate it is a memorial/veterans badge of sorts. During WWI German POWs were kept at Sutton Bonington Campus (now University of Nottingham). The Old Kingston Association (OKA) is the alumni organisation for former students of Sutton Bonington Campus.
I would think the students and the POWs had contact. It was different back then, the Gentleman code was still practiced. Camaraderie could and did develop.
Just a guess. Maybe a real WWI expert will chime in.

Here is a closer look of the item. From what a few people have gathered on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum is that it must be an alumni type thing. If I get more info, I will share it.
IMG_20200820_153312505_edited-1.jpg

Just a little update on the unidentified badge.

On the Wehrmacht Forum, the consensus is that it is a German veterans group badge from between WW1 and WW2. Which group we are not sure of. This seems to be a pretty rare item. If I find out more, I will let everyone know!

It had initially occurred to me that it could be some kind of veterans or other commemorative item that was made to resemble the wounds badge, the same way the Iron Cross design was used for a lot of things.

The other thing that I think possible is that it might also be Austrian, as they also used the German pattern steel helmet, and the first letter, O, might stand for the German word for Austria and Austrian, Osterrreich and Osterreicher.

Bosch key

Interesting that the key looks a lot like the key to my 1973 BMW R75/5 And my R60/2...the Germans sometimes seem slow on the technology front!

yes it looks very much like the key used for “/2” & “/5” , wonder if it has notches on the shaft like those. Both motorcycles oem key had a bakelite/phenolic ‘knob’ rather than the metal ‘flag’ knob. I’ve never seen a key from either an R75 or KS750 Zundapp, but suppose that for a wartime military bike, there’d be no corporate logo on the key, as this key has. (both ‘BOSCH’ and their ‘rotor’ symbol) Did the military bikes have an ignition switch w/key? May be for a replacement switch, or for some other vehicle?

‘78 R80/7, ‘74 R60/6, ‘75 R90/6 sidecar rig, ‘70 R75/5 race bike..........

Military Rifle Journal
Back