Third Party Press

Help With Identifying My K98.

Hello, I recently got a k98 from Royal Tiger Imports. I'm not sure as to what kind of k98 it was, and was wanting to know what model it was, when, and where it was made. As you see, the "n" in what I'm assuming was "BNZ" and the "m" in "Mod 98" are missing. Also, the safety lever, and cleaning rod are missing, other than that I'm not sure. From everything I've seen on the outside, all the serial numbers say for some parts on the bolt are matching. Going to assume that happened while being transferred, like how some Type 99 bolts were taken out on the trip to the US. Below are pictures of the rifle, thanks for any help.

image0.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpg

Hello! We need more pictures to evaluate what you have. BNZ45 is potentially interesting! Ideally we need photos of all the markings you can find on the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was it advertised as?. The action was originally made by Steyr in 1945, but somewhere sometime since, it was partially scrubbed, renumbered, etc. Looks like they peened and defaced eagles while they were at it.

Last edited:
What was it advertised as?. The action was originally made by Steyr in 1945, but somewhere sometime since, it was partially scrubbed, renumbered, etc. Looks like they peened and defaced eagles while they were at it.

I think that the serial numbers on the magazine floor plate and on the receiver ring were added as well. Can you show us the bolt too please?

The only original and correct serial is on the barrel. The other serials have been added to enhace the gun. Note how the font is different, especially noticeable with the letter "3".

Yes this gun has been heavily worked over, and the safety is just GONE?? Eagles peened out all over, I think I’d try to return it.

Well I can't really see much with these pictures but I'll also add that's not the correct stock. Probably came off a Gustloff SK. Interesting for being able to examine what these RTI rifles really are.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image0.jpg

I'd try apparently RTIs customer service is shite though. I got it as a birthday gift a couple days ago, at least I didn't buy it myself but I don't want to put my dad through the headache of trying to return it. It was advertised as a original German k98 in turn in condition and were not "not reworked". What I'm gonna try to do is when I go to the High Caliber gunshow or the Collectors Firearms shop afterwards today I'll try and trade it.. We'll see, at the very least hopefully I can shoot it, at the worst it's a decent wall piece, albeit an expensive one. Hmmm, well it proved my fears wrong with buying these guns offline, unless they can provide a lot of pictures for reference, best to stay away.

I'd try apparently RTIs customer service is shite though.

I've seen this on several forums and heard it from others. Just don't even bother answering.

It was advertised as a original German k98 in turn in condition and were not "not reworked".

And here's the rub.. they're NOT lying. I would however love to know 'who' graded these and what criteria they used because with the limited photos they did share I didn't see anything close to what they were claiming. Also if they showed the 'best' or even just representative photos then on the whole they sucked. Also what is 'turn-in condition'?? Seemed like some made up BS to cover their asses when you find out what it really is. Complete deniability.

Look on the bright side. It could have been worse. You DIDN'T pay 200--400% of retail for a fake, humped up junk so there's that.

I've seen this on several forums and heard it from others. Just don't even bother answering.

And here's the rub.. they're NOT lying. I would however love to know 'who' graded these and what criteria they used because with the limited photos they did share I didn't see anything close to what they were claiming. Also if they showed the 'best' or even just representative photos then on the whole they sucked. Also what is 'turn-in condition'?? Seemed like some made up BS to cover their asses when you find out what it really is. Complete deniability.

Look on the bright side. It could have been worse. You DIDN'T pay 200--400% of retail for a fake, humped up junk so there's that.

True, what do you think it’d be valued at as is if you had to take a wild guess. I might just keep it, so is it fully German and WW2 or post war?

Could be nothing but the tripoint defacement of the Reichsadler seems unique. I wonder if the receiver was humped by a faker, or humped because receivers must be serialed by law in the country of reassembly? Or maybe every gun part is controlled and therefore force matched? All the RTI “turn in” K98s are priced the same so there’s no apparent profit motive to hump.

These were priced at $800 by RTI. I would never pay that much for what they were selling. I my opinion, the were over charging $300-$400....

Could be nothing but the tripoint defacement of the Reichsadler seems unique.

It's not unique per se. Someone did it in that style with 3 round nose punch marks. I have one somewhere. Albanian maybe? Ich weiß nicht. Some lower eastern country I believe.

..there’s no apparent profit motive to hump.

I never believed they were 'humped'. Those numbers as someone stated were added later. I don't see any attempt to deceive. I think the condition grading was 'generous'.

It's not unique per se. Someone did it in that style with 3 round nose punch marks. I have one somewhere. Albanian maybe? Ich weiß nicht. Some lower eastern country I believe.

I never believed they were 'humped'. Those numbers as someone stated were added later. I don't see any attempt to deceive. I think the condition grading was 'generous'.

I also discussed force matching as required by law. But a possible Albanian connection is interesting. Not $800 interesting, of course. These rifles led interesting lives after the war.

I also discussed force matching as required by law. But a possible Albanian connection is interesting. Not $800 interesting, of course. These rifles led interesting lives after the war.

That sure could one of the reasons for the added numbers. I seem to recall discussions on the different de-Nazification schemes used on these rifles. Also seems the poorer users carried them a lot more (and more roughly) and they show wear commensurate with that.

View attachment 241003
View attachment 241004
View attachment 241005

I'd try apparently RTIs customer service is shite though. I got it as a birthday gift a couple days ago, at least I didn't buy it myself but I don't want to put my dad through the headache of trying to return it. It was advertised as a original German k98 in turn in condition and were not "not reworked". What I'm gonna try to do is when I go to the High Caliber gunshow or the Collectors Firearms shop afterwards today I'll try and trade it.. We'll see, at the very least hopefully I can shoot it, at the worst it's a decent wall piece, albeit an expensive one. Hmmm, well it proved my fears wrong with buying these guns offline, unless they can provide a lot of pictures for reference, best to stay away.

I doubt you would get much on trade, and if you don't want to try and get RTI to make good you could get the safety parts and then have a gun smith check the head space and if all is well just use it as a shooter.

Military Rifle Journal
Back