Third Party Press

cleaning rods

jh-SS1944

looking for basic info. on the cleaning rods.
1) all were 2 digit serial number (not serial number like contract rifles) ?
2) rough time frame in which that serial number was omitted on them?
3) time frame when inspection mark omitted on them ( roughly)?
4) time frame in which the "K" was omitted on the 12 1/2 length?

thank you for looking. Jeff H.

1. These German WWII factory matched cleaning rods came in 99% of the cases with 2 digits. Sometimes with one digit.

2. These 12.5" cleaning rods seems to be all serial numbered between 1939 - 1942 (I guess in 1942 they stopped with it, maybe that depends on the manufacturer as well).

3.The earliest dates could have a WaA mark as well. Often 63, 655, so Mauser Oberndorf.

4. In the past I observed mostly i (Diamantwerke, sub contractor) and K. The i marked rods have often no serial number, so I assume 1943-1944 period. The k marked rods have more often a serial number (perhaps time period 1934-1942, I might have seen these K marks on early short 10" cleaning rods)

Best regards Tommy
us1945@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Tommy;
thank you for your time and this information. doesn't seem any of this is in any books I own.
of my 13 k-98 s ,1 is dated 1942 , 10 are 1943 /44/ 45 dates, 1 is 1938 but Russian capture, and lastly is a 1933/34 banner. so "none" have military marked cleaning rods.

the "K" I was referring to, is the early 12 1/2 marked K = k-98k . assumed this mark was short lived as many of the shorter cleaning rod arrangements would have been switched over to the longer.

all the information you provided is greatly appreciated by me.
I've seen the contract ones for sale. I believe for Chile = C & full number on them. not needed by me.

Again thank you for your time and information.
anything additional out there??
best regards; Jeff H.

looking for basic info. on the cleaning rods.
1) all were 2 digit serial number (not serial number like contract rifles) ?
2) rough time frame in which that serial number was omitted on them?
3) time frame when inspection mark omitted on them ( roughly)?
4) time frame in which the "K" was omitted on the 12 1/2 length?

thank you for looking. Jeff H.

Hey Jeff. If they had serial numbers on the rods they never exceeded 2 digits if German. They stopped around late 41 into 42 depending on manufacturer. Same with inspection marks though those seemed to end a bit earlier. The K is made by Luck & Wagner and is hard to say a time frame as MOST of them just had the "k" marking without sn's. I've had them with both on bcd41 and 337/1940 rifles so it seems Gustloff used them a lot. Also other "k" marked parts on Gustloffs like bolt stop assemblies and cleaning rod ferrules. Though they did stop around 1941 they continued to show uo until supply was exhausted.

Again ,good information ! thank you for it and your time.
the cleaning rod holder/ nut also changed with the longer rod (shorter with 2 holes). these were also inspection marked & with a "k" for awhile after induction. I assume other company letter marks as well.
any companies known that never marked them ? Sauer seems to have little parts not marked in any form from the start.
thank everyone for their time on " dumb " questions.
jeff H.

Again ,good information ! thank you for it and your time.
the cleaning rod holder/ nut also changed with the longer rod (shorter with 2 holes). these were also inspection marked & with a "k" for awhile after induction. I assume other company letter marks as well.
any companies known that never marked them ? Sauer seems to have little parts not marked in any form from the start.
thank everyone for their time on " dumb " questions.
jeff H.

I've seen many proof marked rod ferrules though mainly pre-war. But am hard pressed to think of any other subcontractor marks aside from "k". And of those seems to only be the combo of e/4 used with "k" on ferrules, bolt stop housings and hooks. All others in my years of hands on exp. were simply proof marked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back