Third Party Press

dou 44 Mauser, need help with rear sight

This looks to be a Mitchell's Mauser barreled receiver. The bolt does not have orignal numbering.They force matched parts and sold them as "orignal", but they were refurbished Russian captures.

A correct stock for a dou 44 should have no external markings on it.

I'd say an unmarked rear sight would work, but being that the parts are mismatched anyway, I personally wouldn't worry about replacing it.

This is the original bolt, just because it looks pimp shined doesn't make it a Mitchells. Anyway, the rifle is polished and ruined collector wise so just put any rear sight assy on it and go for it.

I'd leave it as-is. It's not in collectible condition so don't try to fix what's not broken. The rear sight on it may not be the original, but it is the "correct" type meaning it as a proper K98K sight. If it's attached solidly and aligned properly, why change it? Try to find a cheap Yugo capture stock and throw it back together as a shooter.

This is the original bolt, just because it looks pimp shined doesn't make it a Mitchells. Anyway, the rifle is polished and ruined collector wise so just put any rear sight assy on it and go for it.

I gave it a quicker glance than I should have! The pimp shine was definetly a factor plus the numbering looked a little off to me, but looking at the font closer, it does look to match up. And I guess it is about right for dou numbering.

When I purchased this rifle, the personal computer didn't exist, nor the internet, so the term "russian capture " wasn't on the tongues of anyone. No RC Mausers were being imported. The rear sight lack the ring or hood that the hand guard slips into, so it won't work with the correct stock unless that butcher job sight on it now is replaced with the correct one. Is there a version of sight and stock I should look for. If that route is cost prohibitive, how much could I expect to fetch as a fair price selling the barreled action "as-is"?

I have a correct later war rear sight tube (without WaA marks) and a Mauser style K98 sight hood as well. Not that expensive parts, the energy is mostly in swapping that tube. Then you need a stock set which sets you back $200-400 with all the right hardware. Such as barrel bands.

Best regards Tommy
us1945@hotmail.com

The difficulty in changing the rear sight is that the front sight is soldered on so it has to
be unsoldered to be able to slide the replacement rear sight in place.THEN everything
must be resoldered back in place. MAKING ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE SIGHTS
ARE ABSOLUTELY TOP DEAD CENTER while aligned with each other. The germans had
jigs to insure this operation was done correctly. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury
of such a device. :facepalm: it's not a job for the faint of heart. Done incorrectly you'll
be shooting left or right of point of aim.

Looks like the other owner cut a section out the base to get it over the front sight? Is that rear sight re soldered and indexed correctly?

One last thing

I forgot I had dismantles a lot of Mausers 10-12 years ago and just found the parts along with a lot of other parts. No stocks though. Would this base and ladder be a replacement for the cobbled sight above? Thanks in Advance.
fW4d1zSh.jpg

TSpmMIQh.jpg

yawyGoUh.jpg

wpgHTcvh.jpg

CH8pKeph.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back