Third Party Press

Kar71 Collection

chrisftk

Staff member
Ok Guys, I was able to fulfill a stretch goal I set for myself. I love the Kar71, one of my favorite models.

I was trying to get each of the six mainline manufacturers in matching condition (or at least it a small part or two m/m) While a small number with Amberg barrels were made using spare ŒWG parts, I'm not counting Amberg as a formal producer.

1)1878 Gebr. Mauser & Co. Oberndorf
C/W Cypher
SN: 3407 Unit mark (26. D. 3. 81) on top of buttplate overhang

2)1876/1877 ŒWG
C/FW Cypher
SN: 7904B Unit mark (24. D. 4. 23) on top of buttplate overhang

3) 1878 Spandau
C/FW Cypher
SN: 5973 Unit mark ( 2. K. 47) on buttplate flat

4) 1877/1877 (stamped 2x with same date) VC Schilling Suhl
C/L (Gothic) Cypher
SN: 5173 Unit mark (B. I. M. II. 2. 61.) On buttplate flat

5) 1877 Spangenburg & Sauer Suhl
C/L (Gothic) Cypher
SN: 1258 Unit mark (B. 2. R. I. D. F. 4. 38.) On buttplate flat.

6) 1877 CG Haenel Suhl
C/L (Gothic) Cypher
SN: 7083 No unit mark

Paul, happy to post anything else you might want/need for the SN study. At first glance the 3 Suhls and the ŒWG didn't look to be previously documented.

Thanks for looking.
7592b960ae0bddeafd8e8fe398b6eff9.jpg
eaf29749b32c89bf9d01b13cf89960e0.jpg
45eaf17aa37aa62978cc1b1a65e144bc.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What an awesome accomplishment! Craig would probably have been impressed!

Just yesterday I was able to update the research threads with some auction reports, I have been off-line far more than normal the last few months, so I have been catching up on the forum tasks. I really want to keep these projects going and up to date, - while initially this was because of the projects being the last thing Craig participated in (led) but now also because they are becoming interesting with all the progress we have made. Starting research projects can be monotonous, dull and boring but when they start to develop they become something quite revealing and interesting! I think Craig would have been pretty happy with the progress (though with his help they would have been far further along...)

Anyway, from recollection, we need maker, date(s) (exactly as applied, both if two exist and whether two digit or four); cypher on receiver, full serial and unit (including location on BP). I guess I need confirmed cyphers and location of buttplate unit markings (also if any character is script), the cyphers I can probably guess at accurately (I generally do this where possible on the threads)

I really have taken a liking to these early rifles and carbines too!

What an awesome accomplishment! Craig would probably have been impressed!

Just yesterday I was able to update the research threads with some auction reports, I have been off-line far more than normal the last few months, so I have been catching up on the forum tasks. I really want to keep these projects going and up to date, - while initially this was because of the projects being the last thing Craig participated in (led) but now also because they are becoming interesting with all the progress we have made. Starting research projects can be monotonous, dull and boring but when they start to develop they become something quite revealing and interesting! I think Craig would have been pretty happy with the progress (though with his help they would have been far further along...)

Anyway, from recollection, we need maker, date(s) (exactly as applied, both if two exist and whether two digit or four); cypher on receiver, full serial and unit (including location on BP). I guess I need confirmed cyphers and location of buttplate unit markings (also if any character is script), the cyphers I can probably guess at accurately (I generally do this where possible on the threads)

I really have taken a liking to these early rifles and carbines too!
Thanks Paul, that's a big compliment. I'm proud to own CB's former Oberndorf. 2 of the Suhls came from Sturgess's collection so was happy to keep them together too.

I've updated the OP with Unit mark location, Cypher (well rounded group) and correct dates. Let me know if you need anything else or I can help with anything.

Jordan and Aaron-- thanks as well. I'm chasing makers on the 71 series. I doubt I'll find all the rifle makers, but who knows!

Well done. While you may not realize it, your accomplishments help spur others to do the same. It advances the hobby and keeps the history alive. I’m impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done. While you may not realize it, your accomplishments help spur others to do the same. It advances the hobby and keeps the history alive. I’m impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it!

Thanks, I will add them all while it is on my mind! These are difficult to get good information on!

I am sure Craig would have been pleased the WMO is in your hands and well cared for!

Thanks Paul, that's a big compliment. I'm proud to own CB's former Oberndorf. 2 of the Suhls came from Sturgess's collection so was happy to keep them together too.

I've updated the OP with Unit mark location, Cypher (well rounded group) and correct dates. Let me know if you need anything else or I can help with anything.

Jordan and Aaron-- thanks as well. I'm chasing makers on the 71 series. I doubt I'll find all the rifle makers, but who knows!

Yeah I greatly applaud Chris's efforts in his collecting endeavours he truly has gone quite far. Plus I'm glad to see us Musketeers getting some awesome carbines again!

Military Rifle Journal
Back