Third Party Press

Need opinion on rifle from GB

UAL225

Hello all,

I've been snooping around this forum for quite some time now, and I have had a love affair with a German WWII masuer early war period for quite some time now. I understand that the forum also has a sale location but since I am a new member, I need to build up some posts. With that, I did find a 98K that mostly fits my criteria of early war, matching serial in good condition, but I'd like to get all of your opinion on it.

Seems legit from what I can tell and looking at the various references, but I'd like someone with some more expertise to take a look:

Thanks for allowing me onto the forum! Looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum...

One thing to keep in mind here, there is no links to live auctions allowed, unless its to call out an obvious turd (faked or humped rifle)...so this will likely be removed...

But looking at it, don't even give it another thought, that stock has been sanded to shite...didn't look further than that, but even if everything else is perfect and correct its a $1200 rifle tops with that stock.

The guy is high to ask $3500 for that thing...

ETA Not to mention the EP's social security #...:googlie

You should only need 5 posts to post in the trader section. Get involved a little in some posts (about 3 lol) and you should be good to go.

But yes, as the other guys said, it’s way over priced, especially for a sanded example.

I never understood why walnut was ever sanded. Hell, I don’t know why ANY of these rifles were sanded, but I can understand laminate since it can often times be rough. Walnut is usually smooth from the get-go....why sand?

Wow! You guys are awesome! This is why i joined! I didn't even see the stock has been sanded! I know this rifle was awesome, but this group of forum folks is as awesome as the rifle.

Wow! You guys are awesome! This is why i joined! I didn't even see the stock has been sanded! I know this rifle was awesome, but this group of forum folks is as awesome as the rifle.

The link was removed since it was a live auction (it's better to just save the photos and post them here rather than a link),but one way you could tell it was sanded was by the markings. They weren't crisp and looked went over. Plus, I recalled the serial number stamped into the stock was dark. This from the dirty sanded wood particles filling in the stamp indentations.

Thank god you came here first, because just by simply posting, your already ahead of most "expert" GB and pre98 procureurs of fine k98 mausers who are duped into buying turd muffins. And, after having a nervous breakdown for spending $5,000 on something they could still dig up in Poland for free, and after 4 years of k98forum members telling them its crap they finally allow themselves to realize that sweet rifle from that 40 year old collection, which has been selling for 50 years, is a turd muffin and get so distraught they never come back to the k98 collecting community.

Now I'm not saying you can't find jewels in GB if you wait and regularly look. I mean half these geniuses can't spell, such as this real jewel in the rough I found who's seller couldn't be bothered to use his god-given eyeballs by reading the receiver, or, simply using spell check.. when they spell Mauser = Moouser, and no its not a mistype--o and a are on opposite sides of the keyboards. Our school system is a joke.

Oh, and welcome !!! Stick around, join discussions, ask questions (these guys love showing the world how much they know). I did, and its been the best collecting decision and experience I've ever had. I knew nothing!!! I creeped around for awhile, then joined with 1 post to ask about a nice 1939 BSW, that I saw at a gunshow... although I eventually passed due to limited time to research the rifle (6 months later a hoarder of BSWs cough David cough ended up with the rifle; and although I regret not purchasing it when I had the chance, I'm happy that one of us got it. It couldn't have found a better home where it will get rubbed, kissed and whispered sweet nothings everyday by a true collector). The members didn't hesitate to provide help to someone with 1 post, most of which never post again--that says a lot. I don't think you could ask for a better group of guys that care about their fellow collector community.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back