Third Party Press

Byf 42 sporter for $1100+??

Ultimate Shield

Hey guys, so i was hoping to get a little more info on this since I drove down to CT and inspected this one in person cause I love saving byf sporters and was sorta in my neck of the woods. It wasn’t a bad rifle. Bluing is a little lighter than most of the auction photos show but in great condition. It also looked to me though like someone polished the receiver block with a dremel or something. Probably the shop owner by the looks of everything else on the rifle. Its just oddly shinier than any of the surrounding blueing around it and there were these fine sweeping silver lines..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871789777

That aside, rest of the rifle looked great. Dust in everything else so it definitely lived in a closet or something. Another reason I think the shop owner maybe messed with the receiver since nothings been cleaned up. The bore was full of gunk so I couldn’t tell it’s condition and the shop owner wasn’t up for passing a patch or two down the bore despite repeatedly asking to see its condition.. action screws were numbered and it was missing the rear capture screw which you cant see in the photos

So.. that said, in my mind this was a $400–$700 sporter rifle max, especially not knowing bore condition, but now that it somehow went up to $1126?? I walked in ready to offer the guy $550 cash for it but got spooked by what I thought was a polished receiver block, and also the guy was asking $1499 sticker. Am I just missing something here entirely on this rifle that makes it more desirable or was this just more fools with their money? I know 42’s are more rare and I've been largely out of collector for a while, but this just seems a bit insane for a sporter. More just trying to see if there is anything I can learn since im not as knowledgeable about earlier rifles

Just missed out on a beautiful byf 44 “i” block Sporter as well that I tried keeping out of that charlatan counterfeiter “szocher” hands located just an hr away from me to no avail. Bastard just spends more than they’re worth and that one went for $680 or so.
Keep an eye out for byf 44 “i” 29128 to magically show back up completely matching in the years to come

Attachments

• 6D694F81-DC81-4A29-A9B7-3E0002EDB95A.jpg
    6D694F81-DC81-4A29-A9B7-3E0002EDB95A.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 78F28E2F-9B8C-4303-8F4A-197BD1E4BA4E.jpg
    78F28E2F-9B8C-4303-8F4A-197BD1E4BA4E.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 81FF414B-045C-44EC-A081-7F11FFE7E022.jpg
    81FF414B-045C-44EC-A081-7F11FFE7E022.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 50
  • FA4036BB-4C16-4251-B02D-D631387E81F1.jpg
    FA4036BB-4C16-4251-B02D-D631387E81F1.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 59
  • F566DA48-6F54-4948-8050-7B66C249828F.jpg
    F566DA48-6F54-4948-8050-7B66C249828F.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Some 1942 BYFs have a high polish recever,there for a bright commercial type blue.Here is my one.What was the suffix of the sold one.

oily r 006.jpg

Some 1942 BYFs have a high polish recever,there for a bright commercial type blue.Here is my one.What was the suffix of the sold one.

View attachment 241280

I mean I honestly might be mistaken about it being bubba polished. Ive always been more into 43/44 dated rifles so earlier ones are kinda newish to me. I wish the photos showed it better because the receiver block really stood out compared to the rest of the bluing on the receiver and rifle. It was more the weird curving sweeping across the the top of it that wasn’t in line with the rest of the bluing that spooked me on it
This one was byf 42 628 “g”

Last edited:
I've seen legit byf 42's with similar polishing wheel tracks. If this is a reblue job it's very well done because they managed to avoid washing out the letters and numbers and the barrel shoulder looks nice and crisp.
I guess it's a moot point because as you've already said, the price is ridiculous!

I've seen legit byf 42's with similar polishing wheel tracks. If this is a reblue job it's very well done because they managed to avoid washing out the letters and numbers and the barrel shoulder looks nice and crisp.
I guess it's a moot point because as you've already said, the price is ridiculous!

Yeah its definitely the original german bluing, but yes I agree, this one went right into the stratosphere imho. I just thought someone did a light buff job on the block for the sale tbh but I could very well be wrong and was second guessing myself on it even after seeing it in person. I also never expected it to go north of $700 Max lol. Hopefully the bores good for whoever did get it because it really was a nice rifle to restore all the same. I kinda really wanted it but not for anywhere near that price.
Sucks it was located in CT too cause I didn’t realize they cant sell direct to out of staters anymore even if the dealer wanted to

Last edited:
I didn't see picture 4,and now I see what you were talking about. In that pic it really looks like a bad touch up with cold blue. I guess you were blessed to not end up with it.:happy0180:

At an auction I was at, a chromed, sporterized, completely mismatched 98k sold for $725 after buyers premium. It's the "Curse of the War Eagles" as I called it. It's got Swastikas on it so has to be worth a lot of money.

That's a ludicrous price to pay for a common code sporter, regardless of condition. Truly a fool and his money.

Wow, you guys are really cheap. Don't you know how much it costs to take a nice Mauser and chrome it.
They're not gonna do it for nothing you know, but if you have your SS helmet done at the same time you'll get a better price. :laugh:

I was watching that one also until bids got crazy. I noticed several bidders on this one and another one similar that were ending within a few hrs of each other were the same.

S/N 628 g block. Anybody want to guess if it shows up as a "estate sale GI bring back" someplace?

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back