Third Party Press

WaA613 Slotted Tangent P35 High Power

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
I am very proud to be the steward of this new piece. I purchased it directly from the son of the veteran that brought it back. I like posting bring back items like this on holidays as a way to pay homage to the veterans that served the United States. This veteran in particular was not front line infantry, but worked for the 880th Heavy Automotive Maintenance company. As you can guess by the name, they repaired the heaviest vehicles including tanks and other armor pieces. The 880th HAM served in the following campaigns (in order of credit given): Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Normandy, Northern France and Rhineland. I know they had a significant role in the battle of the Bulge, but finding information on them has been difficult. I am not even certain who they were attached to. If anyone can help me piece that together I would be appreciative. I enjoy learning about these types of units because it is easy to forget about the logistical difficulty of fighting a war on across an ocean. The supply chain from England to Normandy and to the front was vital to our success.

As far as the high power itself, the Nazi marked slotted tangents are definitely one of the most difficult variations of Axis pistol to locate. A little background:When the Nazi forces occupied the FN factory there were pistols in various states of completion. There was about a month where there was not even a Nazi ordnance inspector on grounds to proof items. During this time, there was minimal production, but once the WaA613 inspector arrived they started production again. Vanderlinden in his book FN Browning Pistols groups these WaA613 slotted tangents into 2 variations. Overall the slotted tangents run from serial number 45,500 to 52,000. He breaks them down into 2 sub-variations from there, one with Belgian proofs and one without. This is pistol appears to be right in between the variations. It is the the second sub-variation serial range but with first sub-variation features. As you can see in the photos, my pistol maintains the majority of the original Belgian proofs. It appears to only be missing the final Belgian military acceptance marks. In lieu of these marks, is an eagle WaA613 on the trigger guard web. The barrel does not have a WaA613, as it was already liege proofed. The magazine does have a WaA613 proof. I apologize for the long winded explanation, but this is a really interesting variant that deserves some explanation.

Attachments

• 20200630_172133-01.jpg
    20200630_172133-01.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200630_172404-01.jpg
    20200630_172404-01.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200630_171919-01.jpg
    20200630_171919-01.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200630_171711-01.jpg
    20200630_171711-01.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200630_172425-01.jpg
    20200630_172425-01.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 135
What a wonderful pistol. You scored big time. Slotted examples are very uncommon, like 2-3k made (about) I would love to hear CPW's evaluation. Congrads.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Mike, I will post it on Jan Still's one of these days where CPW will see it. According to Vanderlinden, these appear in two serial number ranges. Variation one.... 44,500 to 45,500. Variation 2 50,000 to 52,200. That would be a total of 3000 slotted made in 1940. For those wondering, SNs in that gap 45,500 to 50,000 were used for a foreign contract.

I was uncertain with this pistol when I first saw it. I found its twin however. Attached are photos from the auction.

Attachments

• img_9502.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_9502.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 36
  • img_9503.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_9503.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 39
  • img_9513.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_9513.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Love
Reactions: Pat
Very nice example of a hard to find WaA variant Ty. I have them all but that one. You have to be careful with them as I’ve seen ruined non-WaA613 slotted with fake WaA inspections and ruined WaA613 pistols with slots milled in them. Pic sticky for ref.

I am very proud to be the steward of this new piece. I purchased it directly from the son of the veteran that brought it back. I like posting bring back items like this on holidays as a way to pay homage to the veterans that served the United States. This veteran in particular was not front line infantry, but worked for the 880th Heavy Automotive Maintenance company. As you can guess by the name, they repaired the heaviest vehicles including tanks and other armor pieces. The 880th HAM served in the following campaigns (in order of credit given): Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Normandy, Northern France and Rhineland. I know they had a significant role in the battle of the Bulge, but finding information on them has been difficult. I am not even certain who they were attached to. If anyone can help me piece that together I would be appreciative. I enjoy learning about these types of units because it is easy to forget about the logistical difficulty of fighting a war on across an ocean. The supply chain from England to Normandy and to the front was vital to our success.

As far as the high power itself, the Nazi marked slotted tangents are definitely one of the most difficult variations of Axis pistol to locate. A little background:When the Nazi forces occupied the FN factory there were pistols in various states of completion. There was about a month where there was not even a Nazi ordnance inspector on grounds to proof items. During this time, there was minimal production, but once the WaA613 inspector arrived they started production again. Vanderlinden in his book FN Browning Pistols groups these WaA613 slotted tangents into 2 variations. Overall the slotted tangents run from serial number 45,500 to 52,000. He breaks them down into 2 sub-variations from there, one with Belgian proofs and one without. This is pistol appears to be right in between the variations. It is the the second sub-variation serial range but with first sub-variation features. As you can see in the photos, my pistol maintains the majority of the original Belgian proofs. It appears to only be missing the final Belgian military acceptance marks. In lieu of these marks, is an eagle WaA613 on the trigger guard web. The barrel does not have a WaA613, as it was already liege proofed. The magazine does have a WaA613 proof. I apologize for the long winded explanation, but this is a really interesting variant that deserves some explanation.

Great piece with a great history, Its cool that you got the letter with it too.

Thanks for sharing

Was this the pistol that was on GB for a brief time and was taken down before any bids? Awesome example....congrats
I keep trying to get an example for my collection

My friend cpw is the man and president of the HP collector/s association. He does not do AV, something personal. I trust his knowledge over AV's. Charlie should have wrote the book but age and other priorities catches up with us all.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Mike, I will post it on Jan Still's one of these days where CPW will see it. According to Vanderlinden, these appear in two serial number ranges. Variation one.... 44,500 to 45,500. Variation 2 50,000 to 52,200. That would be a total of 3000 slotted made in 1940. For those wondering, SNs in that gap 45,500 to 50,000 were used for a foreign contract.

I was uncertain with this pistol when I first saw it. I found its twin however. Attached are photos from the auction.

Glad my guestimate from years ago was close. Glad you got it Ty, best you keep it.

I purchased a Hi-Power from the family of a veteran as well who was up in the battle of the bulge. The pistol is overall OK, I have yet to get a piece with the capture certificate and thought this was going to be the one. A couple days before the nephew’s wife threw the document away thinking it was garbage [emoji1749]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My grandfather was in the 880th and I know quite a bit of the members relatives and have a lot of pictures that my grandfather took the majority of the men where from Texas and Pennsylvania I would love to share what knowledge I have with you to better get the story behind the piece they shipped out of Virginia in 1942 assisted in setting up pattons ghost army to trick the nazis they where stationed at depot g25 in chelthenham where my grandfather married my grandmother before shipping out to France some went the day of the landing with the floating tanks others followed 4 days later set up a shop and added the tills to the tanks to get through the hedgerows in Normandy moved into Belgium in the town of Namur one second they where working on vehicles next second there where Germans outside got put into action patrolled the roads during the battle and helped stop and repel the Germans at the farthest they advanced after the battle they invaded Germany with the 1st army set up in a opel factory in fulda Germany ended up seeing a concentration camp first hand before being deactivated/most of men discharging by having enough points on June 6th 1945 after the war they would have a reunion every year in San Antonio or Houston Texas I also attached photos of a p38 rig my grandfather brought home feel free to email me aubreynevins@gmail.com I attached a photo of my grandfather and some of the men in the company

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 29
  • received_10203982857350175.jpeg
    received_10203982857350175.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
What a fantastic thread. It starts with an amazing pistol, and continues with more context and background for the unit of the veteran into whose hands the pistol went. Outstanding job, K98kforum!

This is fantastic, I apologize I have been traveling but will reach out when I get back! Thanks for finding this thread!

Military Rifle Journal
Back