Third Party Press

Is This Going To Be The Norm?

Things like that have always been the norm for people so inclined.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Just my opinion but 'etludwig' already overpaid on his initial bid but man did he HAVE to have it. Not sure if it's quarantine kookiness or what? Seems like a lot of people have a lot of money they'd like to throw away. I'll add I don't think any MM or RC sales over $1k is 'normal'.

I was going to be a smart a$$ and say it's the 'Collector Grade' that made the price go crazy but when I went and read the description it says "most" numbers match??? and sure enough, someone f'd up a Mitchells. Front band beat to hell and at least both bands and the sight ramp don't match. How do you even do that? Special order? If that whole auction couldn't get more ridiculous. Maybe that was the hook all along? That proud new owner can say he has the only non-matching MM? :laugh:

To me, the people who are driving prices up on K98s are people who know NOTHING about them, but really, really, really, really want one.......

They see a nice looking K98 on Gunbroker (and that's what a MM is, a shiny polished turd) and say, "Oh damn! I want that sooooo bad! It's a K98! They're so cool because the Nazi's used them!!". And this is more than one person with this mindset that stumbles on the auction. They get into this bidding war, clicking that button to try to beat the other guy, but little do they know, they excessively passed the actual value of the gun. With a little research, they would know what this rifle is and what they could get for that actual price.

Every time I see crap like this, I want to reach out to the buyer and ask, why?? Why did you buy this rifle at that price? Do you know what it is? I just want to find out what's going through their head LOL

Last edited:
The problem is guys wanting to enter the hobby who get burned like this are turned off to the hobby. Then again, a google search and about 5 minutes of diligence (not even "due" diligence) provides the answer, assuming that transaction was a real one.

That brings up another interesting point that Zep and Ham touched on. I don't think an MM search would even take 5 minutes? Probably more like 5 seconds. SO in the brief pauses between wildly clicking the 'bet' button don't you think you'd MAYBE punch up MM??? I know I do if I want to buy something at an awkshun and I really don't know what a new one costs/did cost? Are there issues with this item? I do it all the time to keep from either overbidding or 'winning' but not really getting what I wanted/needed. Apparently these types do neither? And YES!! I would love to meet just 1 or 2 of them. Maybe the $4400 dot44 guy?

That brings up another interesting point that Zep and Ham touched on. I don't think an MM search would even take 5 minutes? Probably more like 5 seconds. SO in the brief pauses between wildly clicking the 'bet' button don't you think you'd MAYBE punch up MM??? I know I do if I want to buy something at an awkshun and I really don't know what a new one costs/did cost? Are there issues with this item? I do it all the time to keep from either overbidding or 'winning' but not really getting what I wanted/needed. Apparently these types do neither? And YES!! I would love to meet just 1 or 2 of them. Maybe the $4400 dot44 guy?

$4400 for a dot44 damn someone give me $8800 for my AX41 and it's yours lol!

The problem is guys wanting to enter the hobby who get burned like this are turned off to the hobby. Then again, a google search and about 5 minutes of diligence (not even "due" diligence) provides the answer, assuming that transaction was a real one.

Exactly. Or people merely thinking about getting one see the prices they are selling for (such as this one) and turn away all together thinking they will never afford one. I've seen people inquire about K98's and say, "they're just so expensive, I can't find one under $1K". And a lot of these people say it doesn't have to me matching, they just want a decent example. They're out there, you just need to research! Find the RIGHT place to buy one *coughK98forum* ;-)

And I know, in the milsurp world, K98's aren't the cheapest rifles, especially, correct examples, I understand that. But there are people out there who make it so much worse than it needs to be.

I typed Mitchell's Mauser into Google and this is the first page that pops up. Without even clicking the links, there are a few red flags... You'd think that quick search and seeing this information would make one stop and consider reading into them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 362
Sold for over $3k.

Oh now I see why... "Receiver and floor plate have the single rune (lightning bolt) on it. This designates issue to the most feared of all Nazi forces, the SS. Top of Receiver marked byf / single rune /44. This is the wartime code for Mauser AG Oberndorf am Neckar and year of Manufacturing." and "Most likely Mitchell Mauser Premium Select Grade w/ German Markings" Oooh... Ahhh :barf:

Military Rifle Journal
Back