Third Party Press

Is This Going To Be The Norm?

Not quite as ridiculous as the OP, but up there. Grey blanket + MM = big money.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/872832297

Same old story, two motivated bidders who have to have that NAZI RIFLE and have no idea what they're bidding on. It really is unbelievable.

The seller was at least relatively honest in the description and it still didnt seem to matter.

This is a Mitchell’s Mauser imported and refurbished gun and has all matching serial numbers as refurbished. Metal finish is excellent reblue. Bright bolt, buttplate, and bolt takedown washer. Bore is very good with strong rifling, mostly bright, with some light frosting in the grooves. Stock has nice blonde color and left side buttstock has a sharp clear matching serial number. Complete with cleaning rod and front sight hood. A sharp looking 98k that will make a fine addition to a collection, a great shooter, or work well for a reenactor.

I guess if you don't understand what refurbished or matching serials as refurbished or reblue means and you're spending $1K for a gun, you get what you deserve. Who drops a thousand bucks without having a clue?

You guys need to get out more.

I go to a fair amount of auctions and they are hilariously entertaining. Sometimes friends and I go just because we know they are going to be good in a terrible way.

People regularly pay more for used items (specifically guns) than what they could go to any store front and pay less.

People regularly pay winning bid for items that they have no idea what they are, how they are used, or what their value is.

People regularly miss rare, expensive, obscure items, because they are ignorant and stupid.

A great example. A friend and I went to an auction where we spent every dime we had because prices were so incredibly cheap. The auctioneer had no clue, and the people there apparently had no clue either. One item a friend of mine wanted was a Japanese Nambu. Based on how prices were going he figured he would get it for $50 to $100. The auctioneer held it up and said, here we got a LUGER! I burst out laughing. At this point the Auctioneer was looking at me to start every bid and when he heard me laughing he stopped and asked, Well what the hell is it? We explained it was a Japanese Nambu and my friend got it for either $100 or $125.

Another great example, when my grandfather passed our family had an auction for his firearms collection. I paid a premium for quite a few guns, because they were important to me. Most of them were way over market because of idiots like these. One that was special to me was a Remington 722 in .222. At that time, a nice example was selling for probably $200-$250. I bid the person up to $750, he paid $800. After the auction I went up to the guy and told him the rifle was special to me and if he ever wanted to sell it, I would be interested in buying it. The first words out of his mouth were, what is a 222 and what can I shoot with it. His wife asked what the rifle was worth, and did they get a good deal. I explained that they paid about 4 times what it was worth.

So to sum it up.

Most people wouldn't know what MM is, or have the brains to google it. Most don't care. I don't think this is a "new age" thing. My whole life I have run into people that buy things without knowing anything about them. Or how they will pay for them. Or what they will do with them.

Most people are just stupid.

..first words out of his mouth were, what is a 222 and what can I shoot with it. His wife asked what the rifle was worth, and did they get a good deal. I explained that they paid about 4 times what it was worth.

And there it is. It's hard for me to comprehend, let alone put myself in this scene. So much fail here but this kind of mentality explains the $4k+ dot44.

The seller was at least relatively honest in the description and it still didnt seem to matter.

This is a Mitchell’s Mauser imported and refurbished gun and has all matching serial numbers as refurbished. Metal finish is excellent reblue. Bright bolt, buttplate, and bolt takedown washer. Bore is very good with strong rifling, mostly bright, with some light frosting in the grooves. Stock has nice blonde color and left side buttstock has a sharp clear matching serial number. Complete with cleaning rod and front sight hood. A sharp looking 98k that will make a fine addition to a collection, a great shooter, or work well for a reenactor.

I guess if you don't understand what refurbished or matching serials as refurbished or reblue means and you're spending $1K for a gun, you get what you deserve. Who drops a thousand bucks without having a clue?

I could be wrong but, I highly doubt that any reenactment/living history group is going to allow someone to use a Mitchell's Mauser.

I could be wrong but, I highly doubt that any reenactment/living history group is going to allow someone to use a Mitchell's Mauser.

It depends upon what is being re-enacted. For example, with a living history group dedicated to re-enacting "21st century gun buying f$ckups" then I'd say one would be mandatory.

It depends upon what is being re-enacted. For example, with a living history group dedicated to re-enacting "21st century gun buying f$ckups" then I'd say one would be mandatory.

Kampfgruppe Mitchell Vs. Miltech’s marauders?

Military Rifle Journal
Back