Third Party Press

Could I please get some help with the date on this BRNO Mauser?

gwozdz

I just pulled this BRNO out from underneath my bed. I'm not having any luck figuring the date on this rifle. Is there a code or something I'm missing? Also, does the sling pictured appear to be correct for this model? And is the stock correct? All numbered parts are the same, except the stock. Thanks in advance?

iy4N4unh.jpg

OEVtejch.jpg

PnEpie9h.jpg

fnew8w1h.jpg

yyRpe2fh.jpg

icix5wwh.jpg

q5empkqh.jpg

a7H0ZRrh.jpg

QcTGMWMh.jpg

It looks to be a VZ 23. The mismatched stock also looks to be from a VZ 23 based on that swivel. The markings above the receiver s/n tell that it was accepted by the Czechoslovakian Army in 1923. The upper band seems to have been driven on rather deeper than normal position. I only find dust bunnies under my bed!

There's a decent thread (might be a stickie) over on Gunboards about the serial sequences of the Czech/Slovak rifles. Nice rifle. I'd like to look closer at the photos in the mornings light.

Can't remember where I saw it and I don't have it on this computer but it was a spreadsheet with line drawings of the top and side rail markings. They tell a lot about when and for whom the rifle was made. Of course there are other ways to determine this but that was a nice guide. Maybe someone here remembers it?

There's a decent thread (might be a stickie) over on Gunboards about the serial sequences of the Czech/Slovak rifles. Nice rifle. I'd like to look closer at the photos in the mornings light.

This might be the list you are thinking of.... https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?318806-Czechoslovak-Mauser-Serial-Numbers

Bill gives some of the sources for his info as well. The OP's rifle looks to be a G block VZ23 from 1923. Regarding the sling, I can't say it looks like any Czech sling I've seen before. More detailed and overall photos of the rifle and sling would be nice.

This might be the list you are thinking of.... https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?318806-Czechoslovak-Mauser-Serial-Numbers

Bill gives some of the sources for his info as well. The OP's rifle looks to be a G block VZ23 from 1923. Regarding the sling, I can't say it looks like any Czech sling I've seen before. More detailed and overall photos of the rifle and sling would be nice.

Yes Stan that's the thread I was talking about. Searched the interwebs again this morning and despite which search terms I tried I still can't find that spreadsheet showing the receiver top and side rail markings. Oh well. Maybe someone will remember it?

Maybe the OP will share some more photos.

Thanks for that link Stan. It was interesting reading. So, E (LION) 23 was stamped on the side of the rifle, does this mean the rifle is a VZ23 and also the year on Mfg is 1923? I have included more photos of the sling. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the guard screws were also stamped 77, same as the serial number and all of the other parts.

hMR4ycfh.jpg

bxlhobCh.jpg

Pw4L6Boh.jpg

HYPZbFLh.jpg

bk9Jj1hh.jpg

5YhbAh5h.jpg

VHE5YQSh.jpg

UwZNBYgh.jpg

qToEOZvh.jpg

0VXtUvAh.jpg

wO2Dybmh.jpg

6WXUHXch.jpg

Yes, the s/n block and the E-23 acceptance date point to a VZ 23. As I understand, they were all made in 1923, and maybe early 1924 before the switch to the very similar VZ 24 model, which became the primary rifle model adopted by Czechoslovakian Army. No idea on the sling origin, but it goes well with the rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back