Third Party Press

1915 Erfurt Kar98a for auction

Guillaume d'Orange

Hi everyone,

I've spotted a 1915 Erfurt Kar98a (see pictures) on the website of a French auction house. There are only 3 pics and the description does not say if it is all-matching or m/m.
Of course, I can call the auction house to get more details.
On the one hand, the rifle seems to be straight out of the attic and the blueing looks all right from afar. On the other hand, I have few details and it looks like it rested near a fireplace (some cleaning may be needed - thus time and effort).

All in all, I am hesitating to bid on it (never done that before, by the way), but would be happy to add it to my 1917 Erfurt Kar98a, get a bargain (estimate price is below 500 EUR) and rescue an old gun from Bubba.

Any piece of advice?

Attachments

• Erfurt 1915.jpg
    Erfurt 1915.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 75
  • Erfurt 1915 (2).jpg
    Erfurt 1915 (2).jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Erfurt 1915 (3).jpg
    Erfurt 1915 (3).jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 64
They don't give you many photos, but it sure looks like an honest unmessed with Kar. 98 that only needs an extractor!:thumbsup:

They don't give you many photos, but it sure looks like an honest unmessed with Kar. 98 that only needs an extractor!:thumbsup:

Yes, and there may be other things missing (floor plate, spring, etc.). The funny thing is that the extractor ring seems there : I don't know how they managed to close the bolt with the loose collar (never tried myself).
If I get it, I'm not sure a spare extractor would fit easily. There are not a lot of spare parts available for Kar98a. I've read that even parts between different Kar98a manufacturers are not interchangeable, I won't mention parts from Gew98 or 98k...
Maybe its destiny is to be a source for spare parts...

It's too bad you can't go over and take a look at it. No telling what condition the bore's in either. Could you perhaps have them send you more photos?
You could use an extractor and collar from any era, but they might require a little bit of hand fitting. The same goes for the floorplate if it needs one.
I have an unnumbered imperial armorers floorplate and follower if it needs them. I'd be great if you could buy it cheap enough. the wood looks undorked with.

I agree, this looks like a good 98a, though I also agree this rifle will need some attention as it looks like it has been stored in an attic or basement for a long time. The main question is the bolt, the stock probably is original, the bolt could be mismatched and that could change the calculation. Fully matching and original 1915's are not common, this one looks like it could have potential. but I would be cautious without more details...

I agree, this looks like a good 98a, though I also agree this rifle will need some attention as it looks like it has been stored in an attic or basement for a long time. The main question is the bolt, the stock probably is original, the bolt could be mismatched and that could change the calculation. Fully matching and original 1915's are not common, this one looks like it could have potential. but I would be cautious without more details...

You're right Lowe. I hope the guy calls them up and gets more info and photos. It could be a real sleeper. We all know that there are always guys that would kill just to get the wood.

Guys, I've called the auction house, asked for more details (pic of the receiver and chamber, threading worn out or not, rust inside barrel, missing or m/m parts). The big snag is that they don't ship firearms because of COVID, and they are 700km from Paris. As Loewe says it requires caution, I will wait for the info, probably follow the auction to know the hammer price, but not sure I will bid (unless price stays below 400EUR/450 USD). The auction is on July 16.

Hi guys, I have received the pics from the auction house.
The bolt is a m/m. I asked for a pic of the floor plate, but it is so rusty, one cannot make out anything. No way to tell if it was indeed a rework.
This is definitely an old war horse (some day someone shall set up a charity to save them :laugh:).
I will skip this one, but will check the hammer price (should be 350/400 EUR, IMO)

Attachments

• 345 (1) (Large).jpg
    345 (1) (Large).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 345 (2) (Large).JPG
    345 (2) (Large).JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 345 (3) (Large).jpg
    345 (3) (Large).jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 345 (4) (Large).jpg
    345 (4) (Large).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 345 (5) (Large).JPG
    345 (5) (Large).JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 345 (6) (Large).JPG
    345 (6) (Large).JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 345 (7) (Large).JPG
    345 (7) (Large).JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 345 (8) (Large).JPG
    345 (8) (Large).JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 345 (9) (Large).jpg
    345 (9) (Large).jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 345 (10) (Large).JPG
    345 (10) (Large).JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 20
It is a good decision to get these pictures before bidding, honest but in rough condition, looks like a reasonable rifle for a shooter, but I would pass unless really a bargain. Though I guess the stock and parts are worth what you have in mind (at least here)

If it has a decent bore and headspace it would be quite a deal.
Can you still buy it?

The only way would be that the auction house gives me the name of the owner. But I won't ask, the price is/was attractive (all fees included, 400 EUR) but all things considered not worth the trouble for me. The good thing is that I know better the current level of hammer prices for Kar98a in France (below 300 EUR, for battered ones, around 370 EUR for functional ones).

Military Rifle Journal
Back