Third Party Press

Bought another one.

Humbarger

Bought a matching 44ASW. The condition of the bayonet was the
factor that sold me.
20200709_082018.jpg20200709_082057.jpg20200709_082156.jpg20200709_082220.jpg20200709_082422.jpg20200709_082500.jpg20200709_094543.jpg
KIMG1606~2.jpg

Last edited:
It could be the 44asw is weakly stamped or missed, anyway the numeral fonts are clear Hoerster.

It could be the 44asw is weakly stamped or missed, anyway the numeral fonts are clear Hoerster.

You guys amaze me DAILY. Then the font style used was left to the discretion of the individual manufacturer?
I asume the blade blanks were drop forged. I wonder if one company supplied the forging dies to all the
bayonet manufacturers?

Then the font style used was left to the discretion of the individual manufacturer? I asume the blade blanks were drop forged. I wonder if one company supplied the forging dies to all the bayonet manufacturers?

Nice pick up. As Andrej noted the serial numbering is clearly by Hörster. You can also tell it is Hörster made by the finish/appearance of the scabbard and the frog hanging hook. Regarding your questions ......

Yes, the serial number font and style are different for every maker. The fonts also changed over the years as die stamps wore out and were replaced. Sometimes they are even different styles for the bayonet and scabbard on a matching example.

Yes, the blade blanks were drop forged.

No, with a few exceptions almost all of the blanks were forged and then built upon by each of the individual manufacturers. There are unique attributes to the blanks if they are examined closely.

If you remove the frog you may see the marking. Sometimes it’s faint and an angle and the right light is required .

Thanks for all the replies. Where do you all learn all these details? I have the book
Seitengewehr History of the German and JUST started reading it. Are there other
References I need to aquire? Is there any video footage surviving that shows
manufacturing?

Where do you all learn all these details?

Right here? You will find if you search through some of the threads fantastic insight in these blades. Top notch. As an aside you can also find some great pieces (thanks Andrew) if you're patient and ready to strike (good pieces don't last long.. ref almost anything Bruce posts) :behindsofa:

Sorry. Great piece. I only had a few moments and I initially just looked at the blade which is nice. The men filled in all the details. Nice score!

Last edited:
This bayonet collecting has very quickly become extremely addictive.
Especially since they are much less costly than K98s! :facepalm:

Right here? You will find if you search through some of the threads fantastic insight in these blades. Top notch. As an aside you can also find some great pieces (thanks Andrew) if you're patient and ready to strike (good pieces don't last long.. ref almost anything Bruce posts) :behindsofa:

Sorry. Great piece. I only had a few moments and I initially just looked at the blade which is nice. The men filled in all the details. Nice score!

+1
Although some of our bayonet gurus are on other forums, which makes those forums better, this forum is the ONE. More combined knowledge here, thousands of pictures of bayonets and bayonet related items. I use this forum along with forum member Unutt`s website and the k98.free.fr website for reference pics. If you like to read, go back through the posts starting at the beginning. Tons of knowledge to be had. Try typing in a forum member`s name (i.e. Slash, AndyB, pwcosol ) in the search box for this sub forum. Most of your questions can be answered doing that. Of course, posting a question is some what faster in most cases.

I've never considered myself a bayonet collector but, I did buy one recently. Number on the right side of blade near the hilt is 5857 with a small a below that, what looks like a proof mark on the ball of sheath different number on sheath, no. 38 on top of blade, GEBR HELLER cast into the left side of blade bluing looks 98%. I bought a repro frog for it. What else should I look for?
Steve

Last edited:
Tried taking some photos.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 6
It looks like nice Gebr.Heller 38, hard to say about blueing as it looks dark on keyboard background, as mentioned there is a repro frog. b.r.ANdy

Like I said I'm not a bayonet person but, I bought this for less than I'd of spent for a reproduction one so, I jumped. Right place right time with money in my pocket.I took the frog off to show the number stamped on that.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back