Third Party Press

Price for an all-matching 42 1940 ?

Guillaume d'Orange

Hi gents, I've found a 42 1940 (block cc) at a gunsmith (went there to check out the rifle). It is all-matching (as far as I've seen), flat buttplate, the blueing is still good, with plenty of WaA 655 stamps, barrel grooves are all right, non-matching cleaning rod, no sling. The only snag is that the floor plate lock spring looked dead as the lock cylinder was at the same level than the floor plate and it was nearly impossible to push it down : I don't know how I would fix it if I buy it.

And the question is: at what price would you buy it ? (all estimates are welcome, I would give you the price they ask for it. As you all see I live in France)

Hi gents, I've found a 42 1940 (block cc) at a gunsmith (went there to check out the rifle). It is all-matching (as far as I've seen), flat buttplate, the blueing is still good, with plenty of WaA 655 stamps, barrel grooves are all right, non-matching cleaning rod, no sling. The only snag is that the floor plate lock spring looked dead as the lock cylinder was at the same level than the floor plate and it was nearly impossible to push it down : I don't know how I would fix it if I buy it.

And the question is: at what price would you buy it ? (all estimates are welcome, I would give you the price they ask for it. As you all see I live in France)

Well if it is truly all original, matching then condition is king. A really worn example maybe 1600 on the low end (not beat) and probably $2000ish is fair middle. Could be maybe closer to $3k IF it was really nice (mint). Just my $.02 for US prices.

Well if it is truly all original, matching then condition is king. A really worn example maybe 1600 on the low end (not beat) and probably $2000ish is fair middle. Could be maybe closer to $3k IF it was really nice (mint). Just my $.02 for US prices.

Thanks heavy_mech, the blueing is in far better shape and way darker than on my CE 42:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?41938-My-Sauer-CE-42-block-m&highlight=sauer
Mint it is not, it has seen service/use.
Does the fact that 42 1940 is one of the most common codes has an influence (I assume most buyers don't know/don't care) ?

Thanks heavy_mech, the blueing is in far better shape and way darker than on my CE 42:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?41938-My-Sauer-CE-42-block-m&highlight=sauer
Does the fact that 42 1940 is one of the most common codes has an influence (I assume most buyers don't know/don't care) ?

If it’s in better shape than the ce42 that you showed above, I’d estimate that it to be worth somewhere in the mid $2000 range. There’s nothing wrong with a nice combat carried piece. As far as the code goes, yes Oberndorf was the most prolific manufacturer but collectors seem to covet them explicitly for that reason. Plus any correct 1940 manufactured rifle is going to be desirable so I wouldn’t overthink it. Just make sure it’s original prior to buying.

Any 40 dated rifle common or not is bringing real good money now. Prices given are "real world" prices not overinflated dealer prices. I assuming what you are trying to describe is the follower is jammed down ? Really hard to understand what you are saying. A blunt nose punch depress the pin on the floorplate bottom and tap it back with a nylon hammer or other to get it to POP back and off pulling that assembly out.. easy fix.

Any 40 dated rifle common or not is bringing real good money now. Prices given are "real world" prices not overinflated dealer prices. I assuming what you are trying to describe is the follower is jammed down ? Really hard to understand what you are saying. A blunt nose punch depress the pin on the floorplate bottom and tap it back with a nylon hammer or other to get it to POP back and off pulling that assembly out.. easy fix.

Why is 1940 popular ? Noted for the prices. Ending the suspense here, the gunsmith asks for 890 EUR (1000 USD).
I will try again explaining the problem: see the pic attached, usually when removing the floorplate, the pin is down, you press the pin further down, you push the plate back and it pops open. Here the pin is jammed up :googlie. Don't know what happened...

Attachments

• Floorplate.jpg
    Floorplate.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 55
Why is 1940 popular ? Noted for the prices. Ending the suspense here, the gunsmith asks for 890 EUR (1000 USD).

That's a good price if it is all matching, even more so if its got a good barrel/headspace...:thumbsup:

9 months ago, here in the UK I paid 1000 EUR for my 243 1940 Kreigsmarine that was matching except for the bolt, and that was a ex-Norwegian Navy K98k so had additional KNG number stamped on the receiver.

I will try again explaining the problem: see the pic attached, usually when removing the floorplate, the pin is down, you press the pin further down, you push the plate back and it pops open. Here the pin is jammed up :googlie. Don't know what happened...

its stuck down from lack of movement. penetrating oil and maybe some slight heat and hitting it with a nylon hammer should get it freed up and moving. The spring in there is fairly stiff so it will pop back with some help then lubricate and work the pin till its free.

its stuck down from lack of movement. penetrating oil and maybe some slight heat and hitting it with a nylon hammer should get it freed up and moving. The spring in there is fairly stiff so it will pop back with some help then lubricate and work the pin till its free.

All in except the heat part. I'd hold off with that unless other options fails. Penetrating oil (especially Kroil) a drop or two at a time. As it works down it will pop back up.

..the gunsmith asks for 890 EUR (1000 USD).

If it's as described then that's a stellar price IMHO. I don't know that 1940 is specifically coveted but there are people who gravitate to the high finish quality and abundance of markings on those early rifles. I think MOs draw in folks because it's the 'real' Mauser.

Thank you for the opinions, guys.
GeeRam, you are right that 1000 EUR is an attractive price here in Europe and, yes, heavy_mech, I think this is a very good price.
For example, you have this all-matching CE 43 straight from the attic at 1000 EUR: http://www.armeancienne.fr/mauser-k98k-p-2597.html (the stock in great shape, but metal parts are quite rusted)
And you have unscrupulous guys selling m/m RCs for 1370 EUR: https://www.stmilitaria.com/mauser/3140-mauser-k98-code-ce-de-1943.html

Regarding the floorplate problem, I should buy a spare trigger guard (around 40 EUR), remove the pin of the push button (see attached pic) and use the new spring to replace the (probably) broken one.

Heavy_mech, your explanation makes sense. Early markings and finish and the fact that is MO will probably lead me to buy it, regardless of 1940 production figures (although, I was on the lookout for another Sauer - an early one - as my second 98k).

Attachments

• Pontet.jpg
    Pontet.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 8
This is a S/42 1937 for sale currently in the UK, again for EUR 1000, that is said to be only a bolt mm, but it has a later cupped buttplate, so if it is original stock, its been modified for the later buttplate.
Finish doesn't look blued though, more like a parkerized finish?

https://www.cwclassicarms.co.uk/product/mauser-k98-marked-s-42

I am looking for another K98k as a resto project, but am wary of the finish on this one.

I'm in no hurry though, even though K98k's are pretty rare for sale in the UK.

This is a S/42 1937 for sale currently in the UK, again for EUR 1000, that is said to be only a bolt mm, but it has a later cupped buttplate, so if it is original stock, its been modified for the later buttplate.
Finish doesn't look blued though, more like a parkerized finish?

https://www.cwclassicarms.co.uk/product/mauser-k98-marked-s-42

I am looking for another K98k as a resto project, but am wary of the finish on this one.

I'm in no hurry though, even though K98k's are pretty rare for sale in the UK.

You are right not being in a hurry, and again right about the odd cupped buttplate. This one looks pricey for what it is, but I fancy that due to the scarcity of K98ks in the UK, price levels are above those in France or Germany (but still lower than in the USA).

Military Rifle Journal
Back