Third Party Press

FG42 Magazines for Review

DougO

I've been offered these two FG42 magazines and would like to get some input on them. Any thoughts on if they are both in fact for an FG42 and whether or not they are ww2 period produced would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Doug

Magazine #1: Pretty sure this one is good

Attachments

• Mag1a.jpg
    Mag1a.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Mag1b.jpg
    Mag1b.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Mag1c.jpg
    Mag1c.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Mag1d.jpg
    Mag1d.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Mag1e.jpg
    Mag1e.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 83
This the 2nd magazine. Not sure if this one is for an FG42, or something else. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Mag2f.jpg
    Mag2f.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Mag2a.jpg
    Mag2a.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Mag2b.jpg
    Mag2b.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Mag2c.jpg
    Mag2c.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Mag2d.jpg
    Mag2d.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Mag2e.jpg
    Mag2e.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 66
The first is an original FG42 10-round mag.. that i would kill for because my original type 1 has no working magazine at the moment.. The second one? Not an FG42 mag.. Know that for sure. almost looks like an M-14 mag. But it’s not. I know it’s definitely not an FG mag though

Hope u don’t mind me asking but what’s he want for the 10-rounder?

Last edited:
Thanks Sen24. I've now arranged to purchase the FG42 mag. Still interested to see if anyone knows what the second magazine is for.

The first is an original FG42 10-round mag.. that i would kill for because my original type 1 has no working magazine at the moment.. The second one? Not an FG42 mag.. Know that for sure. almost looks like an M-14 mag. But it’s not. I know it’s definitely not an FG mag though

Hope u don’t mind me asking but what’s he want for the 10-rounder?

Second this.

That 10 round E-type as rare as hell - only one image of the Luftwaffe officer target shooting, there is one one the table.
The "follower" looks unused - which if I was a picky weirdo collector I might check to see if it was one of Tor's SSD ones.
Frankly the whole set up looks awesome.

The 20 (?) round other magazine is interesting, maybe an early, early FG style mag, but, as mentioned could be from one of the ZB style LMG's. Or some BAR variant?

Last edited:
The second mag can’t be an FG magazine. If you look at that thin extended channel on the rear of the mag. Would never fit into a FG magwell.
Congrats on that first magazine find. I hope you got a good deal. Any FG42 mag is rare as hell and the 10-rounder E type.. I’ve never seen one for sale. I know I’ve seen regular FG42 magazines go for 5 grand so consider yourself lucky. And in my opinion it it original judging by the pictures.

I’ve been racking my brain on that second mag.... it’s gonna drive me crazy until I can figure it out. Pretty sure it is not a ZB mag though. And it doesn’t look German. That’s a weird floorplate too. If anyone knows it’ll help my OCD.

The second mag can’t be an FG magazine. If you look at that thin extended channel on the rear of the mag. Would never fit into a FG magwell.
Congrats on that first magazine find. I hope you got a good deal. Any FG42 mag is rare as hell and the 10-rounder E type.. I’ve never seen one for sale. I know I’ve seen regular FG42 magazines go for 5 grand so consider yourself lucky. And in my opinion it it original judging by the pictures.

You would be the one to know, Sen24, I've seen some of your incredible collection - I have only owned and handled original G-types - my experience with the E-type is limited to museum back room studies.
The mag also has a lot of similarities to a BAR mag - but no cigar.

2nd mag...Polish WZ 28 (Polish BAR), or FN D, or some other foreign BAR variant?

You would be the one to know, Sen24, I've seen some of your incredible collection - I have only owned and handled original G-types - my experience with the E-type is limited to museum back room studies.
The mag also has a lot of similarities to a BAR mag - but no cigar.

Thanks. I still can’t believe you sold your beautiful FG. That must’ve been some heartache after getting it all together.

Thanks. I still can’t believe you sold your beautiful FG. That must’ve been some heartache after getting it all together.

Don't boast to your wife about a good investment, lol

Thankfully, the owner very charitably offered me first refusal when, and if, it comes up for sale again.
In the meantime there are plenty of interesting toys in the collection to focus on.

Last edited:
20 years of marriage, and she, and her lawyer, knew about the FG.
(Don't boast to your wife about a good investment, lol.)

Thankfully, the owner very charitably offered me first refusal when, and if, it comes up for sale again.
In the meantime there are plenty of interesting toys in the collection to focus on.

Good way to look at it and stay positive. Hope you still have a good portion of your collection as you had some great stuff.

Military Rifle Journal
Back